Clear coat spots? How to remove

Acas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

im a big do it yourself guy and admittedly this is No my expertise.
I was trying to fix a couple of deep scratches on my wife’s car.
for whatever reason everything went fine until I added clear coat.
after letting it dry and then wet sanding I can’t seem to get these circles
to blend? I have done two rounds of compound and two rounds of polish.
im now unsure of how to approach. I’m thinking more wet sanding but would rather see if a
true expert can give me guidance? As a note, I added clear coat as a line so some of it blended in well.
many thoughts are appreciated on how to best fix.

View attachment 76037

Only way to fix that will be sand smooth and repaint.
Wish I had better news

I was afraid of that. Any idea why some of the clear coat wouldn’t blend in like the rest?

I can only guess that the panel wasn't prepped properly. Maybe someone with more experience in paint and body work will chime in

So I made some really good progress set sanding with 3000 grit. Actually got a lot of the clear coat “bubbles” removed. I used compound to buff out but was still “scratchy” or “hazy” so used polish with buffer. While it looks a ton better, it’s still ever so slightly hazy/scratchy. Keep polishing? Just makes me nervous I guess.

Really appreciate this boards feedback thus far. I’ll take a pic tomorrow. It’s 1am and been going at it since 8pm.

So I made some really good progress set sanding with 3000 grit. Actually got a lot of the clear coat “bubbles” removed. I used compound to buff out but was still “scratchy” or “hazy” so used polish with buffer. While it looks a ton better, it’s still ever so slightly hazy/scratchy. Keep polishing? Just makes me nervous I guess.

Really appreciate this boards feedback thus far. I’ll take a pic tomorrow. It’s 1am and been going at it since 8pm.

Happy to help (if you burn through forget I ever said anything) :dig:

At this point (and considering it's your wife's car) if you're making progress, I say continue on.
While polishing touch the paint occasionally. A warm panel is ok, but you don't want to get it too hot. That's the point right before you burn the clear.

Are you using a rotary polisher or dual action?

Dual action rotary I believe? Here is a link to it: AutoSpa 94009AS Dual Speed 6" Professional Polisher https://a.co/d/2kbPZ8r

I have been running it at level 4 speed, to your point I’m worried about putting it at level 5 or even 6 to not burn the paint.

Dual action rotary I believe? Here is a link to it: AutoSpa 94009AS Dual Speed 6" Professional Polisher https://a.co/d/2kbPZ8r

I have been running it at level 4 speed, to your point I’m worried about putting it at level 5 or even 6 to not burn the paint.

It is going to take you a LONG time getting anywhere with that thing. Keep polishing and then polish some more.

AutoSpa 90009AS?
No wonder you haven't burned through the clear (yet). I could get better results polishing with my left foot than what your using. It simply lacks power needed.
No worries though. The section that your working on is so small you can tackle it by hand. If you ever plan to do the rest of the car get a porter cable or griots dual action.

Do you happen to have 1000-1500 grit sandpaper?

Thanks guys, funny comments on it. I now feel like I’m using a fisher price toy.

Yes, I have 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit. Even using the 3000 to finish up the wet sanding.

Thanks guys, funny comments on it. I now feel like I’m using a fisher price toy.

Yes, I have 1000, 2000 and 3000 grit. Even using the 3000 to finish up the wet sanding.

Not trying to goof on you. Just having fun.

I would take 1 more stab at it, but would sand first using 1000-1500 followed by 3000 then polish.
When you sprayed the clear, you more then likely sprayed 2or3 times what comes from the factory, so that should give you some cushion.

Best advice is follow your gut instinct. If you feel like "that's enough" and there's still damage find a cool bumper sticker to put over it.

Look forward to hearing what happens next :)

Back