9th Episode this Sunday with Bruno Massel - What's in Autogeek's Garage?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike Phillips
  • Start date Start date
M

Mike Phillips

9th Episode this Sunday with Bruno Massel - What's in Autogeek's Garage?

The 9th episode of our second season of "What's in Autogeek's Garage" is on this Sunday at 11:00am Eastern Time on Fox Sports Network. The show will repeat on Monday at 4:00pm

My guest for this show will be Bruno Massel and the people and cars will be,

Lew Jones and his 1947 Chevy Roadster Pickup
DSCN0763.JPG

Dave's 1955 First Series Chevrolet.
DSCN0769.JPG

Bob's 1972 Opel GT with a Miata Engine.
DSCN0778.JPG

Bill Russell's 1966 Chevy II
Russells1966Chevy003.jpg

Check it out!

Im the MAN

I recorded it on the DVR to watch later. I can't wait. Those cars look awesome!!

This episode had some really nice local cars on it. Lew came back with his custom roadster pickup truck twice now and we've helped him to completely buff out both the diamond plate bed and the paint.

Live Video Broadcast - 1947 Chevy & 1986 Porsche 928 - Extreme Makeovers

DoubleTrouble036.jpg

See more pictures of the extreme makeover of the diamond plate bed here,

Diamond Plate Aluminum from Dullsville to Mirror Shine on a 1947 Chevy Pickup

Dullsville
DiamondPlate002.jpg

Mirror Shine
DiamondPlate004.jpg

Lew sent his buddy Don down to our Thursday night clinic with his 1970 Mustang and it's going to be a future project here at Autogeek's Show Car Garage...

Video and Pictures - 1967 AC Cobra and 1949 Packard Show Car Makeovers!

1970Mustang002.jpg

When you know how to truly inspect the finish on a Special Interest Car then you know there's a little room for improvement and if you think this car looks good in the above pictures wait till we warm it over by MACHINE! :buffing:
1970Mustang005.jpg

This is a full size section cropped out of the original above, no resizing.
1970Mustang005c.jpg

Oxidized Single Stage Paint
The below is a reflection shot of the overhead florescent tube lights, what I want you to see is the dull, opaque look the paint has at the bottom of the reflection of the lights. This is light oxidation and even though the car looks beautiful in the pictures above, in person the paint has a dull sheen to it caused by oxidation. This is a single stage paint by the way.
1970Mustang006.jpg

Watch the bottom of the forum homepage for the sign-up announcement to be part of the team of people that take the paint on this Mustang to its maximum potential!

:)

Mike have you ever worked with black diamond plate? Any tips? Thx

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike have you ever worked with black diamond plate? Any tips? Thx

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chances are very good the black diamond plate you're wanting to work on is aluminum that is anodized black.

The only black diamond plate I've ever see was anodized and you can't polish anodized aluminum. Been there done that years ago.

My best friend had a Sanger Bubble Deck, Runner Bottom Drag Boat with anodized aluminum throughout the entire boat while I had polished aluminum. We tried to make his aluminum look like the aluminum in my boat and that's when I learned that you can't polish anodized aluminum. He was always disappointed with the anodized aluminum because it always looked dull when everything else looked so shiny...

Thanks,

I dont have the problem with it being not shiney, I have coated it with collinite 845 to protect it more than anything. I have a bunch of scratches in it that I need to get out. I have tried using the same product (optimum) that you used on the show and it works ok. Would a wool pad like you used be safe for it?

Would a wool pad like you used be safe for it?

If it's anodized I would say "no".

If you start grinding on an anodized black surface with any type of abrasive and a wool pad on a rotary buffer you will grind through the anodized layer and reveal non-anodized aluminum.

In the process you will change the look of the diamond pattern and you will only do it to a small area and then you'll have a shiny spot in the middle of the black surface.

Anodizing isn't a coating "on" the surface, it's a coating that's a part of the metal itself. It doesn't like to be abraded with the intend end-results being that it will look original or good.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Can you somehow confirm that it is in fact anodized? Keep in mind in my previous post I was just taking a guess based upon your description, I could be wrong and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

:)

Back