PDA

View Full Version : Magic eraser on leather?

Pages : [1] 2 3

asap2stacks
04-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Is it allowed for black leather

Setec Astronomy
04-19-2016, 07:36 AM
I'd advise against that, I've heard horror stories of people going through the leather coating.

What are you trying to achieve on your black leather?

WaxMaster1
04-19-2016, 07:46 AM
Is it allowed for black leather

I'd say sure, if you want charcoal/light gray leather.

conman1395
04-19-2016, 09:02 AM
No, I'd never use it on leather. If you are using a good clean such as D101, Optimum Power Clean, or the best of the best - 1Z Einzett Deep Plastik Cleaner then all you need is a good brush.

Mother's detail brushes work well, but a softer, bristle boars hair brush is also really helpful too.

A magic eraser will abrade layers of the leather's topcoat off.

MadMax
04-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Definitely stick to a good cleaner and softer bristle brush.

shagnat
04-26-2016, 03:49 PM
No, I'd never use it on leather. If you are using a good clean such as D101, Optimum Power Clean, or the best of the best - 1Z Einzett Deep Plastik Cleaner then all you need is a good brush.

Mother's detail brushes work well, but a softer, bristle boars hair brush is also really helpful too.

A magic eraser will abrade layers of the leather's topcoat off.

Yup ^^^

Mike lambert
04-26-2016, 06:08 PM
In a word NO!

custmsprty
04-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Pinnacle Leather Cleaner and Conditioner is awesome stuff, just used it Sunday om my wife's new Sonata. Took blue jean dye transfer out effortlessly and left the leather nice and soft.

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner - Agreed upon by leather care pros world wide, leather requires both cleaning and conditioning to keep it (http://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html)

rlmccarty2000
04-26-2016, 08:36 PM
If magic eraser doesn't work, I suggest a very fine grade sandpaper to totally remove any of the remaining coating layers. Not really.

judyb
07-14-2016, 11:51 PM
Magic erasers should never be used to clean leather unless you are going to refinish the leather
We have a blog post on the subject if you are interested to read more
Cheers
Judyb

mwoywod
07-15-2016, 02:08 AM
well, i absolutely WILL use a magic eraser on leather when the situation calls for it. I use it with meguiars d101 and if used appropriately then just because it's abrasive and CAN remove the leathers coating doesn't mean you can't go about using it safely. If you're cleaning leather that is heavily soiled I'm pretty sure you could do plenty of damage by using a super strong chemical and scrubbing the #### out of it with a soft bristled scrub brush or a non-abrasive scrub pad.

mwoywod
07-15-2016, 02:13 AM
just to add fire to the flame I use it all the time on paint as well lol

asap2stacks
07-15-2016, 06:40 AM
I never did use it on the leather but after doing a lot of research, leather in cars now days isn't even real leather more then half the time and if it is real leather it's still coated around it... Kinda like paint to clear coat... But yea I just used CG cleaner and conditioner with a application pad followed with a MF. I can't risk experimenting with clients vehicles nor do I want to on mine.

Kenny94
07-15-2016, 09:23 AM
I had a gentleman use magic eraser on his paint there was nothing I could do for him though. He is used it to remove a scratch and I think it was use with toothpaste or WD-40 and it went right through paint.

mwoywod
07-16-2016, 06:21 PM
I had a gentleman use magic eraser on his paint there was nothing I could do for him though. He is used it to remove a scratch and I think it was use with toothpaste or WD-40 and it went right through paint.

Like I said. It's effective when used appropriately. A magic eraser is abrasive but I know from experience that it isn't as aggressive as 3000 grit sand paper although in my opinion it's just as effective as 3,000 or 5000 grit on isolated small scratches and transfer, especially in hard to reach areas. If you believe that he was using the magic eraser and then all of a sudden he realized he had sanded straight through his clear and then just ignored the rest of the base color transferring onto the eraser then I am at a loss for words.... I wonder what other folklore he believes. Did he ever mention anything to you about the time he went camping with his bff Paul Bunyan? Or about the year he spent with Brer Rabbit just hanging out together in the briar patch? I'm just messing with you man, I'm sure it's possible I just can't imagine taking a magic eraser to my paint if i wasn't experienced with wet sanding and paint correction.