Anyone able to get Collinite 845 to last more than a month parked outside in the sun 24/7 ?

pman626

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been able to get 845 to last more than a month on the hood, roof, and trunk panels...when parked outside in the sun all day.

When I wash the car 30 days later with meguiars car wash, the horizontal surfaces don't bead water anymore.

You guys who can make it last months must be parking yours in the garage

Something is not correct with your application method.you can easily get 4 months protection.I would rewash car with a no wax carwash soap and start over.

What is the condition of your paint onto which you are applying 845.... when last was it decontaminated?

Are you looking at the beading before you wash the car, or after?

Collinite would still have hydrophobic water beading even on a non clayed car.

LA has a ton of poor air quality fallout. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Here in Ohio in the summer I move to a Montan Carnauba as I feel it's added ability to withstand heat and sun is better for my black car in the peak months.

Yes, but I think it all depends on other environmental conditions and the paint color.

On my wife's car I usually see about 3 months of protection and over that duration the beading slowly starts to lose it's tightness. None the less, the water still pools up in little amoebas that don't really have a shape. My wife's car is parked outside 24/7 in South Florida and it's a 2012 Kia Optima with their snow white pearl paint. On the other hand, my car is a 2015 Chrysler 300 with granite crystal metallic and I can maybe get 2 months of protection in the same environment as her car. I'm convinced that it has to do with the temperature that my paint gets to as opposed to hers.

I usually get a little bit more than a
month's-worth out of Collinite #845.
{Then again, I usually don't wait for a
month to pass before I wash the vehicle.}

•Gotta remember that the surfactants
in the car-wash shampoo, along with
airborne contaminates, will affect water's
behavior.

-I'll suggest, in order to "bring back" the
desired characteristics of Collinite #845:
1.) Do another rinse with hot(ter) water;
and/or:
2.) Do an IPA (or similar "panel wipe") wipe-down

Bob

What is the condition of your paint onto which you are applying 845.... when last was it decontaminated?

Are you looking at the beading before you wash the car, or after?

paint is still intact. I claybar, then wax.

I'm looking at beading after washing. After final rinse

LA has a ton of poor air quality fallout. Do you think that has anything to do with it? Here in Ohio in the summer I move to a Montan Carnauba as I feel it's added ability to withstand heat and sun is better for my black car in the peak months.

my car is near-black color. I honestly think the heat deteriorates the 845 wax.

I can cook eggs on my car.

Yes, but I think it all depends on other environmental conditions and the paint color.

On my wife's car I usually see about 3 months of protection and over that duration the beading slowly starts to lose it's tightness. None the less, the water still pools up in little amoebas that don't really have a shape. My wife's car is parked outside 24/7 in South Florida and it's a 2012 Kia Optima with their snow white pearl paint. On the other hand, my car is a 2015 Chrysler 300 with granite crystal metallic and I can maybe get 2 months of protection in the same environment as her car. I'm convinced that it has to do with the temperature that my paint gets to as opposed to hers.

Sounds like I'm seeing the exact same results as you.

My paint color is smoky granite mica, which is pretty dark.

Final rinse of the car, and the water is stuck to the paint when I try to blow it off with leaf blower.

I definitely expect a white car to have longer lasting results. Those cars never get hot to touch.

On the Gold Coast Queelsnald Australia..

We have a huge hole in the Ozone over australia so the sun is a little harsh.. its also sunny 300+ days a year... its humid 70+ % regularlay too..

In these conditions 845 easily lasts effectively 3-4 months.. ie cleaning easily and continuing to bead and holding a decent level of gloss...
4- 6 months its absolutley still there but gloss and beading do drop off...

If your not seeig that then somehting does seem amis IME /IMO..

In my cases it was applied after; full correction, megs cleaner wax, megs ULW sealant, then 845..... Fatherin laws car hence i topped with 845 exactly for the durability.. cos i'm the only bugge that cleans that car..

same process on the wifes (obsidian black) i simply use Optumum OCW post wash as a refresh on that one, pretty much weekly..

•Gotta remember that the surfactants
in the car-wash shampoo, along with
airborne contaminates, will affect water's
behavior.

-I'll suggest, in order to "bring back" the
desired characteristics of Collinite #845:
1.) Do another rinse with hot(ter) water;
and/or:
2.) Do an IPA (or similar "panel wipe") wipe-down

Bob[/QUOTE]

Have to agree here... the wash surfactants aren't getting rinsed off the car...

There is great video showing this too piPUK in think was doing the investigation... all in the does IPA remove wax discusion

Short answer was no not really buit the IPA does clean whats on top of the ax allowing it to do its job...

In my cases it was applied after; full correction, megs cleaner wax, megs ULW sealant, then 845..... Fatherin laws car hence i topped with 845 exactly for the durability.. cos i'm the only bugge that cleans that car..

you do several more steps than me.
I'm lazy. I just claybar, then 845. done.
I really don't want to spend that much time on my car.
I'm only doing it for paint protection, because all my older cars had failing clear coat, and I want to try my best to prevent failing clear coat on this car.

Have to agree here... the wash surfactants aren't getting rinsed off the car...

I've always used only Meguiars car wash, and in the past when I washed my car more frequently, I did not have to do any special rinsing to see beading.
If I washed my car within 2 weeks of waxing, after final rinse, I could still see water beading.

Now I wash my car less frequently, about every 30 days, and after final rinse, the water sticks to the paint on the top surfaces that get maximum sunlight abuse.

I found out something interesting the other day in regards to beading...

I've been pretty disappointed so far with Carpro Reload, it's been so bad IME that it's beading won't last past the very 1st wash. I set out to wash the Kia for the 3rd time since applying Reload and it was so dirty and in need of a wash that I decided to spray the entire vehicle [prior to the pre rinse] with Megs D114@1:128 with a pump sprayer.

To my surprise, during the rinse off of the vehicle [prior to washing] the beading suddenly returned! I was pretty shocked.

View attachment 48859

It had respectable beading even after the wash too.

Make sure you shake the #### out of the 845. It separates quite a bit. That could be part of your problem. I love the stuff!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back