Need help selecting new polish for soft honda and mazda paint..

Nix

Reaction score
Hi guys i did my first correction last year on my 2012 honda CRV which is twilight blue

(not my car but color is same not dark)
http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/70888158.jpg

I used chemical guys VSS it did remove all the swirl marks but didnt leave good finish i was hoping for..I felt like my paint became dull after using it even though i used carpro eraser before applying wax..So summer is here and its time for little correction..So far I coated my new tires with tuf shine and loving the results..back to paint correction i have some r swirl marks due to snow cleaning and improper washing technique nothing major and no deep scratches..dont want to compound it since i dont want to burn through clear coat..so I was wondering what polish you guys recommend. I want my paint to pop its not dark to begin with..i have Griots random orbital 6 with some lake country flat pads and some chemical guys hex logic pads (White polishing pads and orange cutting pads) ..was thinking about getting griots garage boss correcting cream along with perfecting cream also thinking about getting 3d HD polish after reading many positive things.Cant make up my mind. want to use new polish which is easier to work with and leaves a good finish behind...and for LSP i have collinite 915, wolfgang and blackfire..i do want to coat the vehicle with optimum gloss coat but being new to detailing i dont want to mess up..so i will stick with paint sealant and wax for now..whatever polish i get i will be using it on mazda as well when it needs a correction..thanks in advance..

To confusing lol.you said you don't want to correct paint because of paint burn.I don't know how you can achieve that with a da.with a very good prep HD speed and powerlock.If HD speed can't do it,you can fall back on adapt.

my bad what i meant to say is that i really dont want to use the compound since it might not be necessary on softer paint it might remove too much clear ( i can always get ultimate compound from local auto store if needed).. i know polishing also removes the layer of clear coat but not as much as compound. last time i got away with using CC VSS but didnt like the final result..so looking for a polish which is easy to use and leaves a good finish..i also read that HD speed is good aio on most paint but looks like not available in 16oz bottle anywhere except 3d website..so i assume that they are selling out quickly..

It may just be the Mazda paint that doesn't 'pop' like some others. Have a black 2007 Mazda 3 and I remember when I bought it new and immediately Zaino'd it I was disappointed after that it didn't have the deep, dark, wet look to it our black Corvette and black Mustang had. Recently went at it with GG6, WG Twins, (orange & white pads respectively) topped with Uber ceramic and while it looks great and shiny in garage, outside in the sun it isn't that deep, dark black our other cars are. Got bored last weekend so did the WG Twins again to remove the Uber Ceramic and topped with HD Poxy to see if it would get deep, dark, shiny black but again...great in garage but kinda washed out in sunlight. *shrug*

Use products such as HD Speed, CarPro Reflect, or Scholl S30 with a polishing pad and test spot..
This sort of combination is very mild, and most importantly all finish to a super glossy level... with correct technique..

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on blue Buff and Shine pads. Love that combo!

It may just be the Mazda paint that doesn't 'pop' like some others. Have a black 2007 Mazda 3 and I remember when I bought it new and immediately Zaino'd it I was disappointed after that it didn't have the deep, dark, wet look to it our black Corvette and black Mustang had.

I know exactly what you mean with the dull looking paint on the new Mazdas. You have to polish them A LOT to bring out the shine. I really like the look of Essence topped with Reload to eek out as much gloss as possible.

I previously owned a 2002 MPV, and currently own a CRV. The CRV paint is soft, the MPV paint is medium hard, but not as hard as my BMW. From your description, what you need is a finishing polish. I find Meguiars M205 with a Lake Country finishing pad finished both vehicles nicely. I have no experience with the products you are considering. Good luck.

I also looked into Optimum Hyper polish since i might get optimum gloss coat..but many people complained about sprayer getting clogged so not sure about it..dont want to use the product once..i dont have finishing pads only one hex logic black should i invest into finishing pads or polishing pads will be fine..

I also looked into Optimum Hyper polish since i might get optimum gloss coat..but many people complained about sprayer getting clogged so not sure about it..dont want to use the product once..

I've never had a sprayer clog using any of the OPT spray polishes. I have sprayed my polisher, my arm, the side of my house, etc.

All kidding aside, many users don't even bother with the sprayer and just use a ketchup bottle, etc. Usually the spray polishes ship with a regular cap and the sprayer not installed, just keep the cap, and if the sprayer malfunctions, you can simply use it without spraying. Hyper Polish is a very nice product.

For Honda's I like good ole fashion M105/M205. However, I usually opt for Ultimate Compound over M105. UC/105 on an orange LC pad and M205 on a white LC pad.

Dan, UP finishes good on soft paint?

I will second the vote for UP on soft paint.

I use it on a 2013 crimson Toyota Highlander and a 2010 gray Mazda3. Using a white LC flat pad I get great results on both cars. Typically I'm only dealing with very mild swirling, but the UP has corrected moderate swirls on the Toyota with ease.

I suggest M205 or UP as well. I was running out of M205 and AG had sent me a free UP sample in one of the sales.

Here is a thread of mine - Recently polished my Golden Brown Accord with UP and a FINISHING pad. Came out looking amazing - at least based on the condition of the paint.

I used a Flex 3401 , speed 5, UP/M205 (on different areas) with a Black Hybrid Finishing pad :)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-my-3rd-detail-actual-pics-p.html#post1373354

Thank you guys for all the suggestions..one last thing what color hex logic should i use with ultimate polish(Blue, White or green from chemical guys) i have all their pads..i will be getting ultimate polish soon along with eraser for IPA wipedown after using the polish..Also thinking about getting lake country thinpro ones i read thinner pads are little better..any suggestions if i decide to stock up on thin pro pads which one should i get..

Thank you guys for all the suggestions..one last thing what color hex logic should i use with ultimate polish(Blue, White or green from chemical guys) i have all their pads..i will be getting ultimate polish soon along with eraser for IPA wipedown after using the polish..Also thinking about getting lake country thinpro ones i read thinner pads are little better..any suggestions if i decide to stock up on thin pro pads which one should i get..

I have extensive experience using the green and blue hex logic pads. I use the green for cutting. I like them best with Meguiar's M100, Ultimate Compound, Menzerna FG400, and Rupes Zephir. The green pads are a medium density, but very coarse and gritty feeling. Even more than their traditional cutting pads. I find over time that once those more dense pads soften up, they tend not to pick up as much material as the green.

The Blue is my go to general purpose pad. With the M205 and Ultimate Polish lower speeds and lighter pressure can be used to finesse the paint. I'm typically on speed 4 on the PC when refining the finish after compounding. If I'm using those polishes as a one step where I'm working on swirls, I'm at speed 5 or 6. Menzerna PF2500, SF4000, and Rupes Keramik also work well with this pad on the PC.

The standard selection for these pads are as follows:
- Orange for curring.
- White for polishing.
- Black for finishing/waxing

Additional notes:
The green, blue, and black pads in that line up feature "American" foams that use open cell construction. Green is 60 pores per inch, Blue is 70, and Black is 80.

These pads are different from European open cell foam in that they're more pliable. They also seem to exhibit their own cut to an extent (next time you are washing all your pads, soak them and see which on has the most texture. It was always the green one for me). The cells on a European foam are much smaller and tighter. European open cell foam is fantastic for using higher pressure, but the same technique doesn't work well for me when using the American foams, where light to firm pressure works best for me.

Finally, last I understood Buff and Shine manufacturers the Hex Logic pads for CG. You can get the same quality foams right here at Autogeek, and the peace of mind that comes with their excellent customer service. While I really like the hex cut, I like doing business with AG even more, so I've been sourcing my pads here.

You can peruse my gallery to see how far I've pushed these pads in the PC vs 1000 grit. There are some pics and a write up of my assessment there.

Back