Cleaning black gloss plastic

cheekyage

Reaction score
Hi all

I've come across some black gloss plastic pieces are not showing the best shine and clarity. They in fact look cloudy around the majority of the area.

Can anyone recommend a product or procedure that can help me bring these black gloss bits to life and remove the cloudy surface?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what exactly are you working on,what kind of car?.

My new GLE400 has a "black package" which utilizes black chrome and black powdercoated metal trim. I have been using the same products (Opt spray wax/Pinnacle wax) on the body and the trim.

Those pieces could be soft or hard paint plastic coating.Start with a cleaner wax that won't scour those pieces.Or try megs #7 then use a pure carnauba over it.Meguairs makes a plastic polish,but me personally wouldn't advise a product for you to buy and it scratches it.The above recommended products would be my choice to start with.usually if those pieces are cloudy that means its deteriorating.call ag and speak to someone about your project.This is a speculation on what products to try and maybe trial and error but safe than sorry.I know I wasn't much help but call ag.

It also looks like someone has already tried to have a go at removing the cloudy appearance as I can see wipe marks in the middle and then nice smooth deep black gloss on the outside edge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What year is the car,made need new pieces.Doesnt sound right as you mentioned you can see wipe marks.unless someone abraded the pieces.

Can anyone recommend a product or procedure that can help me bring these black gloss bits to life and remove the cloudy surface?

any pics? sometimes the piano black plastic look like that can simply be worn away due to repeated use and touches with salty sweaty and oil hands that we all have. that said, I've also seen it come back very nicely with just very light polish and a MF Rag. I had to do this on the shifter of my last car and it always came back nicely.

Novus #1 Polish is extremely good at maintaining acrylics, especially black, leaving no signs of hazing or clouding films behind.

Their #1 Polish contains no abrasives that I'm aware of, but their #2 and #3 do respectively.

Novus #1 is a product I use to best maintain and dust-clean a custom 1" thick Black Acrylic Plinth-Base on my VPI Turntable, and also to use on its clear Acrylic Dustcover with flawless results.

Other uses are Motorcycle Fairings, Convertible Top Plastic Windows, Lexan, and the like.

I always have all 3 grades on hand, very good products, wouldn't be without them, Novus has been around a long time.

I have to deal with this same black glossy plastic on the grill of my Kia Sorento. Fortunately it's still in new condition but it's still somewhat a PITA to maintain looking proper.. Even if you blow it dry after a wash it can remain looking a bit cloudy from the car wash residue. The best way I've found to fully detail it is to spray Megs D115 and lightly agitate it with a 1" boars hair detailing brush and then dry every nook and cranny with a microfiber towel. It's a minor PITA to have to do after washing the whole vehicle, [which is why I don't always bother doing it] but it sure does look perfect after doing it.

Unfortunately it sounds like the plastic you're dealing with is in rough shape already, but for anyone wondering how to maintain this same kind of black glossy plastic like new.. Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere/D115 works great.

I've also seen a video where Darren from Auto Fetish Detail uses Megs Wheel Brightener to detail a glossy black plastic grill.. Just spray, rinse, and blow dry. I can see how it would work because of how good Wheel Brightener rinses clean. I've never tried that method, but maybe I will soon.

Back