PDA

View Full Version : How long do your drying towels last?

Pages : [1] 2

prr
10-21-2016, 08:29 AM
I just bought a new drying towel for my car washes. I have been using for the past 2.5 years, the Meguiar's waffle weave towel. Although it has worked well, for the past 2-3 months, it has gone downhill. It could still wipe water off the paint and onto the ground, but the towel would get much much wetter in the process, and leave more water on the paint, than it did before.

I figured that it had done something like 150 washes for me in that time, give or take 20. Half of these would have been on a minivan, half on a subcompact. I'm not complaining---I paid $8.50, including tax and shipping for this baby. It has been well worth it. Much better, for just over 5 cents a wash, than trying to use my hands. :props:

Just out of curiosity, about how many washes (dries, actually) do you folks get out of your drying towels?

FWIW, I replaced this with the Supreme Microfiber 530XL towel (saw that it was recommended by Mike Philips, so I figured he would know). I'll see how long this one lasts.

I suppose the hardcore detailers among you probably have several drying towels, so my question might be hard to answer. Oh well do your best.

Jeremy1976
10-21-2016, 08:34 AM
A lot depends on how you care for the towel. If you don't already, get a good micro fiber detergent like Micro Restore. Always wash with like towels, never dry on high heat. Always delicate or low heat.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

prr
10-21-2016, 01:15 PM
You know I've seen others talk about special soaps for their drying towels.

I never wash mine, it is wiping off rather clean water off a clean surface, so I just rinse it out and hang it to dry.

The only exception would be if I drag it along the bottom of the car, and pick up some dark grime. Then, I usually hand wash it with laundry soap.

Do you wash with a dedicated microfiber detergent after every use, or just when needed?

Kean
10-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Obviously, you should continue to use whatever process works for you but in my case, I wash mine after each use (when I do dry my car in that traditional fashion). Anytime there is contact you have the potential for creating blemishes in the finish. By washing my drying towels after use I am simply mitigating or lessening that risk by helping remove any material/residue that may be lodged in the fibers. Also, when I do use towels to dry, I typically use a drying aid (to help add lubricity to the surface) so I have that to consider as well.

I would suggest that washing your towel might even help to resolve some of the performance issues you speak of. It may not be working up to its potential if it is not truly "clean". IMO, a washing machine will likely do a better job at cleaning than a person can do by hand. ….especially at rinsing to ensure any soap residue is removed (I usually do 2-3 with my towels). In either case, 2.5 years of dedicated drying for one towel is a lot of use IMO. It may just be getting worn out.

Jaretr1
10-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Ive been using the Guzzler and they are holding up just fine after several years. I have a few and rotate them. All microfiber towels wear (they are micro fibers after all).

I would definitely recommend washing them using something like Tide Free or a microfiber detergent. Fabric softeners and fragrances added to detergents adversely effect their ability to absorb water.

FUNX650
10-21-2016, 05:11 PM
I have MF-towels that have been,
from the very get-go, designated
as: "solely-for-drying"...that are
at least 10+ years young.

Bob

Klasse Act
10-21-2016, 06:00 PM
I have 3 large, pocketed Griot's Garage waffle weave drying towels, one is atleast 10 years old and I used to clean them with regular soap but I've been using 3D MF detergent for the last year and haven't looked back, great stuff. I haven't noticed any drying issues but the newer GG towels, since using the correct soap, has kept them thicker but that real old towel still works just fine.

VISITOR
10-21-2016, 06:23 PM
buy one of these and you won't need a drying towel..
McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html)

prr
10-21-2016, 06:29 PM
buy one of these and you won't need a drying towel..
McKee's 37 Turbo Car Dryer (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-turbo-car-dryer.html)

For $180 I might do that when I win the lottery.

I wonder how long those things last?

VISITOR
10-21-2016, 06:41 PM
For $180 I might do that when I win the lottery.

I wonder how long those things last?

i've had mine since they first came out and it's fine. btw, with the holiday season coming up (black friday, Christmas) it will be even less with the sales. the less you touch the paint, the less chance of inducing marring/scratches which equals more polishing...

PaulMys
10-21-2016, 07:06 PM
i've had mine since they first came out and it's fine. btw, with the holiday season coming up (black friday, Christmas) it will be even less with the sales. the less you touch the paint, the less chance of inducing marring/scratches which equals more polishing...

Yup.

Love my backpack leaf blower for this. Whole truck dried in about 5 minutes. Then a light once-over with a guzzler. Done.

prr
10-21-2016, 07:55 PM
It seems like some are saying that washing my towels with a good mf detergent will prolong their useful life.

Have folks found this out to be true? I suppose it would be worth the investment if I can get this result. I honestly don't see a lot of grime on my drying towels, and hardly any on my sponges, for that matter, so I don't see a strong need to just clean the towels.

PaulMys
10-21-2016, 08:43 PM
It seems like some are saying that washing my towels with a good mf detergent will prolong their useful life.

Have folks found this out to be true? I suppose it would be worth the investment if I can get this result. I honestly don't see a lot of grime on my drying towels, and hardly any on my sponges, for that matter, so I don't see a strong need to just clean the towels.

Actually, it does help. A clean(ed) towel performs much better.

Do I wash them every time I dry with them? No. But about every 3-4 washes (dries).

I use the Cobra Guzzlers, and I really do notice a difference.

chefwong
10-21-2016, 09:47 PM
I've spent many a fortune of good WW towels. Maybe it's just me, never did care for them on drying. Always prefer a plush towel. My oldest one is a Detailer Paradise one. Runner up would be 2 of these yellow towels I got from Rubbish Boys. Then there are my go to MFM towels.

Legumes
10-22-2016, 04:21 AM
I have some plush drying towels that are going on ten years old. I wash them with clear laundry detergent each time after drying a car. I also use spray wax as a drying aid with them.