Looking for a cost effective dedicated wheel cleaner.

RiverCityAutoSpa

Reaction score
Good afternoon detail heads, I am currently using Iron-x as my wheel cleaner on nicer vehicles that come my way. I use regular apc on others. I do have the set of 3 wheel whoolies. I am looking for a dedicated wheel cleaner to replace iron-x. I cannot justify $100 gallon of wheel cleaner anymore, when applying I find myself spraying 20-30 times a wheel. I figured with a measuring cup I'm using about 3oz per car when using. I've never used anything else as the product is amazing and combined with the woolies I get everything off the wheeels almost all the time. I want the product to be by the gallon if possible. Thanks for all your help!!

20-30 sprays? I suppose that it all depends on the spray bottle used

The ones I have have a large.pump and atomize the product very well. Not sure if I got them at target or not but I think so. I use nothing more than 6-8 pumps per wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

20-30 sprays? I suppose that it all depends on the spray bottle used

The ones I have have a large.pump and atomize the product very well. Not sure if I got them at target or not but I think so. I use nothing more than 6-8 pumps per wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I couldn't help but think of this video with Renny Doyle demonstrating Sonax Wheel Cleaner where he sprays a Whopping 70 sprays on this 1 wheel! Lol. Then he tops it off with another 9 sprays on the tire for good measure. Count em:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kDCWmYYEJ4

I watched that vid a while back and I went outside just to see how many sprays I do... I think it was like only 20 at the most:)

D143 is a great and economical wheel cleaner that cleans tires as well. It won't melt heavy/old brake dust like ironX, but should be enough to tackle the majority of jobs. Dilutable also.

Thanks pro 4x and Eldo. I will have to try it out sometime, or maybe I'll try the "samples" thread and see if I can trade for the real deal.

I found a bottle that has a similar name in my old stash but knew from the acid smell of it that it could not be the same product. It is called Hot Rims® All Wheel Cleaner, not All Wheel and Tire. It's odd they sell these two very different pH products in very similar bottles with similar names.

If you still want a "color-changing"
wheel cleaner...

•SONAX Wheel Cleaner PLUS
-25 Liter...(~6.6 gallons)
@$399.99 (now on sale:$100 off list)

•Cost effectiveness:
SONAX...~$0.47oz.
vs.
IronX.....~$1.35oz.

Bob

My two favorites without iron dissolving properties have been brown royal wheel cleaner and Meguiars wheel brightener. I feel like brown royal can tackle just about everything unless its really bad.

Another vote for Meguiar`s Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner. Diluted 1:1, it cleans amazing, dwells well, and cleaned tires well too. It`s $16.50 a gallon during their 25% off sale. Great price for cleaning lots of daily drivers. That`s $0.13 per oz, so figure $0.26 per vehicle.

Personally purely for economic reasons I have sourced Autosmart red 7 10l bulk pack for wheel cleaning purposes and paint work decontamination on friends and families cars...
I keep iron X for mine on paintwork only ..
Call it a little paranoia... It's also the only white car in the fleet I maintain..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if Meguiar`s Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner and the consumer version are safe on PVD wheels? Thanks

I was wondering if Meguiar`s Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner and the consumer version are safe on PVD wheels? Thanks

From the little research I've done on PVD wheels they recommend to keep it PH neutral. Car wash soap seems to be what they say.

That is what i have read as well. I use my wheel woolies in a bucket of soap and also put some Eagle PVD wheel cleaner on it but I feel like I do a lot of scrubbing still

Just trying to find something else. I have some iron x remover as well. Maybe i need to try that

Back