Cleaning dried compound off plastic

soobaroo

Reaction score
I made a bad rookie mistake with my PC polisher. Lifted the pad while it was spinning and sprayed Griot's fast correcting compound all over. The plastic cowl under the wipers has a lot of dried compound on it. What can I use to get this off before applying a trim dressing?

I have used magic erasers to remove dried cutting compounds from plastic bed rails and trim with great results

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I personally keep and use the GG's wax remover. Does very well, just agitate with a brush and wipe off with a microfiber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. I'll order some with a plastic protectant while I'm at it.

DO NOT get this stuff on paint! It mars like crazy!!!!

I marked it in big black lettering on my bottle.

Chemical Guys WipeOut is great at removing polish from any surface and smells great.

I ordered the McKees. Reviews of the Griot's weren't too good. Thanks.

That brush mike has next to the bottle of Mckee's 37 wax remover is the worst brush I own. I've had it for a year and haven't used it, nor can I figure out what it's good for. It hardly has any bristles and if you hit your paint with it you would most likely inflict some pretty serious scratching. The most aggressive brush I'll use on plastic trim is the mother trim brush but even that is a bit too firm for most trims.

Duragloss 271 Trim and Flat Black Dressing. Removes any compound off plastic or rubber trim like magic. Only down side it that you will possibly need to apply it to all your plastic since where you cleaned it may look better.

No need for complicated products and techniques. The reason it is staining is that the compound is sitting in the pits of the textured surface. So all you need to get it off is a brush. Toothbrush, nail brush, what ever brush with soft bristles will work. As a cleaning agent, pick your choice. I like to use APCs or Degreasers to do the work. ONR detailer spray probably would work, but I have never tried it.

In all honesty, McKee's Wax Remover smells just like IPA. There may be additional ingredients, I'm not sure.

The pencil eraser works, get one of those larger separate pink erasers, forget the end of a pencil, a bit too risky IMO.

Have used the McKees wax remover and works ok.

Need to let it sit for a bit and then wipe off.

Only used on paint so far.

Back