Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 Performance

auntrout

Reaction score
I detailed two of my vehicles using the following process. The cars are a 2001 Infiniti and a 2005 Toyota and both have been parked outside most of their lives.

I did a thorough wash, clayed the vehicles and used a PC 7424XP to apply the following:

1. Meguiars Ultimate Compound (Orange Pad)
2. Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Finishing Polish (White Pad)
3. Meguiar’s #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 (Blue Pad)

Its been about 6 weeks since I detailed the two cars and both cars have been washed three times. I'm pretty disappointed with the performance with how the #21 Synthetic Sealant has held up. Isn't not beading water as well as when I applied the sealant and some of the luster in the paint is already gone. Am I expecting too much based on the age of the vehicles. TIA.

If the Sealant was given enough
curing-time before it was intro-
duced to any moisture...Then:

•I wouldn't place too much
blame on the vehicles' age.

•Rather, it's more the likelihood
that the car-wash shampoo left
a film-layer of surfactants behind.

{I've used a warm water wipe-down to
remove said film/surfactants. YMMV.}

Bob

Don't think age has anything to do with it.

Did you apply a second coat to ensure uniform coverage?

What are you using to wash the vehicle?

Are you applying any QD or QW sprays?

Did you let the M21 fully dry before removing\wiping it off?
Ultimate Wax is similar but easier to use because it can be wiped off while still wet or allowed to dry first. M21 should be allowed to fully dry.

If the Sealant was given enough
curing-time before it was intro-
duced to any moisture...Then:

•I wouldn't place too much
blame on the vehicles' age.

•Rather, it's more the likelihood
that the car-wash shampoo left
a film-layer of surfactants behind.

{I've used a warm water wipe-down to
remove said film/surfactants. YMMV.}

Bob

I let the Sealant dry per the instructions, 10-15 minutes. I probably let it dry a little longer, I was using the stop watch on my Casio to track the time.

Don't think age has anything to do with it.

Did you apply a second coat to ensure uniform coverage?

What are you using to wash the vehicle?

Are you applying any QD or QW sprays?

I didn't apply a second coat, but I did do the cross hatch pattern multiple times to do my best to ensure uniform coverage. I'm using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II to wash the vehicles. No QD sprays yet. Thanks

Did you let the M21 fully dry before removing\wiping it off?
Ultimate Wax is similar but easier to use because it can be wiped off while still wet or allowed to dry first. M21 should be allowed to fully dry.

I let the M21 dry per the directions on the bottle, 10-15 minutes before wiping off with a MF towel. Thanks

I've had mine on since June 12th. Still going strong... I had to apply it in the sun as well.

M21 tends to become more of a sheeting type sealant than a beading type sealant. You have the option to boost it with something like D156.

What car wash are you using?

I've had mine on since June 12th. Still going strong... I had to apply it in the sun as well.

I did one of my vehicles on 6/10 and the second one on 6/12. Glad you've had better results with the M21 than me.

M21 tends to become more of a sheeting type sealant than a beading type sealant. You have the option to boost it with something like D156.

What car wash are you using?

I'm not seeing the sheeting either when I wash the cars. I've used Sonax Polymer Net Shield on my newer car and that sheets water extremely well. I'm using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds to wash the cars.

I'm not seeing the sheeting either when I wash the cars. I've used Sonax Polymer Net Shield on my newer car and that sheets water extremely well. I'm using Chemical Guys Maxi Suds to wash the cars.

Some soaps leave residue that mask the performance of the LSP. I have not used maxi suds so I can not say if it does or does not do that.

Some soaps leave residue that mask the performance of the LSP. I have not used maxi suds so I can not say if it does or does not do that.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try my Sonax Shampoo on these two cars the next time I wash.

I let the Sealant dry per the
instructions, 10-15 minutes.

I probably let it dry a little longer,
I was using the stop watch on my
Casio to track the time.
Big difference between drying time:
(that's when the excess/haze is removed)...
and curing-time: (that's the time needed
before it's exposed to any moisture).

I'm using Chemical Guys Maxi
Suds II to wash the vehicles.
This car-wash shampoo may be leaving
the "film-layer" I was alluding to :dunno: .

Switch to a different shampoo to see
how/if it affects the water beading.

Bob

Big difference between drying time:
(that's when the excess/haze is removed)...
and curing-time: (that's the time needed
before it's exposed to any moisture).

This car-wash shampoo may be leaving
the "film-layer" I was alluding to :dunno: .

Switch to a different shampoo to see
how/if it affects the water beading.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I guess for curing time, I waited 2 weeks before I washed the vehicle. I did apply the sealant in the morning so I guess I would have had at least 12-15 hrs before any evening moisture would have gotten on the vehicles. I'll try my Sonax shampoo on these vehicles the next time I wash.

I did one of my vehicles on 6/10 and the second one on 6/12. Glad you've had better results with the M21 than me.

I apply it super thin . I wash with ONR every other week or so - no qd, no spray wax/sealant.

The car is currently dirty, and had a bird dropping towards the edge, which was completely washed off by the rain.

For what it's worth, I got this bottle of M21 used, and it "turned". Instead of the normal glorious bandanna smell of M21, it smells like someone broke wind. So even through all that, it still works great.

I apply it super thin . I wash with ONR every other week or so - no qd, no spray wax/sealant.

The car is currently dirty, and had a bird dropping towards the edge, which was completely washed off by the rain.

For what it's worth, I got this bottle of M21 used, and it "turned". Instead of the normal glorious bandanna smell of M21, it smells like someone broke wind. So even through all that, it still works great.

I also applied it pretty thin using my PC. Regarding my bottle of M21, I did buy it new but it stayed on my garage shelf for about 6 months before I used it. What is ONR, I may have to check it out, or give my Sonax shampoo a try first.

IMO, M 21 is right up there with my other favorites Menzerna PL and UPGP as far as looks and durability.

Back