Dr. Beasley's Formula 1201 Paint Coating tips/suggestions

Beerwulf76

Reaction score
Hello there, Autogeek family. I just purchased some
[h=1]Dr. Beasley's Formula 1201 Paint Coating[/h]I would like some tips and/or suggestions on how to apply the coating. It comes bundled with Dr. Beasley's AdvanceCoat: Gloss.
I am wondering if advancecoat can be applied right after Formula 1201, being that 1201 claims no required "extended" curing time.
I will be working on a champagne colored 2014 Toyota Sienna. Paint is in very good shape with just a need of some deep cleaning and light/finishing polish for minor swirls.
I plan to wash, clay then polish. 1201 is to be applied to wet paint so rather than hosing vehicle down I figured it'd be better to spray individual panels down with a water spray bottle to apply the 1201. Any suggestions or input is appreciated

There are not many users of Dr. Beasley's so that is probably the lack of responses. I myself am not familiar with using their products.

I have no doubt that is the case. I wonder why that is, seems like a fine line of products. I guess they get lost in the shuffle amongst more populars offerings.
That being so, some theories on how to approach application would be helpful. I know they will comewith fairly detailed instructions. However there's directions and there's directions + method and technique.
Anyhow thank you Guz for taking the time to reply.

Read the description of this. And it's seems important to use destilled water as a last rinse before coating it. So the spray bottle and destilled water in it before applying it would be a thing to think of. It says to do a panel at the time. But I would test out different sizes of areas when I start. To see how it behaves in your environment. And since you apply it wet I would have alot of dry mf towels at hand and maybe with different nap on them. To see which works best for you. Seems to be a straight forward application.

Please if you will do a review and write up and pictures from your application of it would be nice.

/Tony

What aspect of the product were you not pleased with or did not meet your expectations ?

So I got to use my Formula 1201 today!
Applied it to a 2015 Honda Odyssey (dark blue).
The paint was fairly clean with some need for minor correction. Began a liquid clay product, which does a very thorough job of deep cleaning the paint. After this step flooding the surface reveals a completely hydrophilic effect, water does not run off at all, very telling.
Followed this step with Meguiar's Super Soap.
After this the surface was clayed an OTC brand clay, to remove any remaining contamination.
Followed this step with Meguiar's #2 Fine Cut cleaner applied to a Lake County orange foam pad on a dual action polisher.
Then another wash with Super Soap to remove polishing oils/residue. The surface was rinsed purified water and kept wet via filtered water in a sprayer bottle.
Now on to the wet application! This is where things get tricky. While the product does turn the water into an opaque gel like substance you do have to kind of trust the coating has been completely and thoroughly applied to the area which you are working on.
Another challenge is knowing you are using the correct amount of product and not too much nor too little.
Water a tends to run and drip down the surface as it is being applied, hinting at hydrophobic properties taken on by the finish.
Removal with a microfiber towel is a breeze, leaving a smooth semi slick feel somewhat reminiscent to using a wax as you dry product.
While the end result seemed to reveal a brighter more reflective finish, the effect is subtle, no real wow factor.
My foremost goal with the application of this coating was to provide the finish with protection, mainly against bug splatter on the forward facing panels of the vehicle such as the hood, bumper/grill, two front fenders, two front pillars and side view mirrors. Due to time and other contraints, only those surfaces were treated with the said coating.
While aesthetics were not a primary concern I was disappointed on the level of paint correction I was able to achieve with the Meg's #2. However, that was likely due to my lack of focus on that aspect, as my main concern was to provide a bare clean "slate" for the 1201 to bond to.
Now, this vehicle is scheduled to leave town tommorow, so I'll have to wait another week at least before the water behavior and repellency/release properties of the coating can be assessed .
I shall report back with my findings as soon as it is available.

For grins and giggles I applied Dr. Beasley’s 1201 Paint Coating to the boot lid of my SS. This morning a passing shower landed on my corn pollen & dust coated SS. Here’s a pic of the water beading:
607eaed92fa9e589af9d05418fb70ded.jpg

Meh!

Here’s the dried water spots three hours later:
99e29ded87d1bc43e55f8ea255819650.jpg

Tonight after I get home from bass fishing I’ll Rinseless Wash the SS and see how the coating performed. Not impressed with the beading so far or the Advanced Coat: Gloss which made a streaky mess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow what a sham... Does any Beasley product work even slightly? I had the same results with the 1 product of theirs that I purchased. That’s worthy of a refund.

Wow what a sham... Does any Beasley product work even slightly? I had the same results with the 1 product of theirs that I purchased. That’s worthy of a refund.

You know what they say about what do you call the guy who graduated last in his class at medical school...

For grins and giggles I applied Dr. Beasley’s 1201 Paint Coating to the boot lid of my SS. This morning a passing shower landed on my corn pollen & dust coated SS. Here’s a pic of the water beading:
607eaed92fa9e589af9d05418fb70ded.jpg

Meh!

Here’s the dried water spots three hours later:
99e29ded87d1bc43e55f8ea255819650.jpg

Tonight after I get home from bass fishing I’ll Rinseless Wash the SS and see how the coating performed. Not impressed with the beading so far or the Advanced Coat: Gloss which made a streaky mess

Well, that is not encouraging at all.
Yikes!

I’m beginning to think Dr. Beasley’s is a sham. I used 1201 as well and felt like I totally wasted my money. Terrible product.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

I was thinking about the poor beading after our quick shower the other day and wondered how much the heavy layer of corn pollen may be affecting the hydrophobic properties. My thinking was if we’d had a good rain shower instead of one that was one to two minutes in duration there may have been better beading than what I witnessed.

I decided to give the product another shot.

I rinseless washed the SS using Meguiar’s D114. I first rinsed the car with my portable sprayer. Almost immediately I noticed good beading after the dusty layer was rinsed away. I’ll admit I was quite happy once I saw some hydrophobicity where before there was very little.

The SS was then washed and dried. Afterwards I gave the Dr. Beasley’s AdvanceCoat:Gloss another shot. I used it very sparingly, as in 1-2 spays per panel. I also sprayed it from about 10 inches away. This gave a larger area of coverage that was more uniform with no big wet spots or puddle of product. I wiped it in, then immediately wiped with a second MF towel. While this is contrary to the instructions on the bottle I found this works very well.

Very few people use Dr. Beasley products. They are rarely talked about on the forums. They need to send some samples out to forum members to try and write reviews on like McKees does. A little word of mouth would go a long way.

Very few people use Dr. Beasley products.
They are rarely talked about on the forums.

They need to send some samples out
to forum members to try and write
reviews on like McKees does. A little
word of mouth would go a long way.
I’ve used, and have also been giving
glowing reports/recommendations on
Dr. Beasley’s Matte specific products,
several years before AGO began sell-
ing them—without ever receiving any
samples, I will add. [Time to change-up
that discrepancy, IMO.]

:idea:
As Sam Cook used to sing so fervidly:
“It's been a long time, a long time coming
But I know a change gonna come, oh yes it will.”

{From: ‘A Change Is Gonna Come’; ca. 1964}

Optimum Polymer Technologies has Dr. G.
Is there an actual Dr. Beasley behind this brand? Or is that just a gimmick?

How about Dr. ColorChip products:
Is there an actual Dr. Colorchip behind
this brand? Or is that just a gimmick?

•Optimum Polymer Technology wasn’t
named after its founder, Dr. Ghodoussi.

•Dr. Beasley’s wasn’t named after its
founder, Jim Lafeber.

•303 Products wasn’t named after its
founder, Dennis Praegitzer.

•And on; and on; and on...

Conversely:
-Collinite Co. was named after its
founder, Charles H. Collins.

-Meguiar’s: take a guess.

-Etc.; etc.; and etc.

Bob

How about Dr. ColorChip products:
Is there an actual Dr. Colorchip behind
this brand? Or is that just a gimmick?

•Optimum Polymer Technology wasn’t
named after its founder, Dr. Ghodoussi.

•Dr. Beasley’s wasn’t named after its
founder, Jim Lafeber.

•303 Products wasn’t named after its
founder, Dennis Praegitzer.

•And on; and on; and on...

Conversely:
-Collinite Co. was named after its
founder, Charles H. Collins.

-Meguiar’s: take a guess.

-Etc.; etc.; and etc.

Bob

Nice try, but you didn’t make a single valid point.
Colorchip isn’t a real name, so it’s not like anyone would ever think there’d be an actual Dr. Colorchip. Try to use a bit of common sense...

Dr. G is the founder of Optimum, the brand isn’t called Dr. G’s, so why would anyone bother to ask about him if he’s just a man behind the scenes doing his job.

Thanks for finally answering the question. Dr. Beasley is simply a gimmick name that’s paired with gimmick bottles and a high price tag because “prescriptions” are usually pricey...

To each his own, you can buy into it.. I’ll stick with the products that skip the gimmicks and instead have a long track record of great quality, value, and customer service I can actually speak to whenever I happen to need to.

Back