Topper for speed

Rambro

Reaction score
What are you guys topping speed with other than proxy? Does Wolfgang dgps play well with speed?

This has been debated. WGDGPS is one of those that some have stated does not last on Speed. Others have claimed/tested that most sealants done last... but others have had very good success with sealants on top.

Most claims for Collinite 845, and probably other waxes, do last as expected.

What if you went over the Speed with IPA or some other sort of surface prep?? HD Poxy would be the most logical choice,but I have read mixed reviews about it's durability as well.

I tried that, using WG Paint Prep Spray over Speed 4 days later, then applying PBL Sealant on top. No noticeable depreciation of the Sealant after 1 month, but then I started messing around with various toppers sprays, so I can’t state that the PBL Sealant alone is still going strong at 2 months, but the car still looks great and is beading great and at no point did I have any reason to believe the sealant or any toppers have been degraded due to Speed underneath

I probably should have mentioned the above in my first response, but I forgot about it until you mentioned IPA. If I had to guess, I would say that the Speed has not had a negative impact on the sealant. It’s not conclusive, but it’s my best hunch.

I have used poxy over speed on black and had some hazing. I will try the IPA, I am looking for longevity after using an AIO for light swirls and lightly faded paint on most of my customers daily drivers. (speed, blackfire, McKees and klasse is what I have now)

I probably should have mentioned the above in my first response, but I forgot about it until you mentioned IPA. If I had to guess, I would say that the Speed has not had a negative impact on the sealant. It’s not conclusive, but it’s my best hunch.

Well,as with anything,results may vary. I have found that very true in regards to detailing. I am glad that I saw WGDGPS does not play well with Speed. I had debated trying that combo.

If you were going to use WG Deep Gloss, I would just use HD Polish+, or any pure polish.

As for Speed toppers, 845 is great. 476s is even better.

I have a weird tick where I don't like topping cleaner waxes with anything but a spray on.

Megs Ultimate Quik Wax, or Duragloss Aquawax would be great for that.

From my experience with using those two products, Sonax PNS or BSD might be better.

Possibly. I've never used any Sonax products, so I have no real world experience with them.

I am still a big believer in staying within the family. I know you said "other than Poxy" but I would still want to extend the LSP characteristic of an AIO with the LSP they actually use in the formulation. If I wanted to test compatability with another LSP of an unknown or less agreeable product I would use a dedicated polish to split out the specifics of "cleaner/mild abrasive" and "LSP" for durability.

If I use menzerna polish should I wipe it down with IPA before wgdgps? Does the oils in the polish affect sealant adhesion ?

In my experience applying WG DGPS right after Wolfgang finishing polish, no, there was no adverse impacts due to the oils. I understand Menzerna to be similar to WG Polish. Shouldn’t be an issue to apply without IPA wipe.

so the last 5 cans of PNS i have used were because it is being used as a topped / wipe off of my polishs/compunds and ive seen over 4 months so far with it on top of speed with no issues.

If I use menzerna polish should I wipe it down with IPA before wgdgps? Does the oils in the polish affect sealant adhesion ?

I would, if the manufacturer of the sealant recommends it.

I always clean paint after using Menzerna products. The long work time I think is a combination of their super diminishing abrasives and "wet" oils and other formuated components. I want all of those along with dead paint off the surface before I am ready for the LSP.

I guess it’s up for debate, but most finishing polishes utilize those same oils to make the finish look nice I think (like glaze), so when the sealant doesn’t specify to wipe down, I typically leave the oils since I’m assuming they may add a little extra richness/Gloss.

Back