Protecting Winter Wheels?

bryanviper

Reaction score
So I'll be getting some new 18" winter wheels next week. I was wondering what would be best for protection against winter/salt and other chemicals they put on the roads here in Toronto.

Options i was thinking,

2 Coats of Ceramic Coating (likely Geyon Pure or cquartz UK 3.0)
or
2 Coats Of Collinite No. 915 Marque D'elegance
or
1 Coat of Ceramic Coating & then a layer of Collinite No 915 on top?

What do you guys think? I'm not worried about the look/gloss or water hydrophobic properties, I want the best protection to protect the finish on these.

ThanksView attachment 65155

I don't think there's any question the coating is going to be your best choice. The conventional wisdom was (not sure if I'm behind the times) that topping a coating with wax or sealant is not really of any value because it won't "bond" to the coating.

IME inevitably the salt/sand/potholes will get your wheels, no matter what you put on them...but the brake dust will come off easier with the coating...:p

THanks,

Was hoping some protection would help against the salt/sand. Unfortunately cant do much about the pot holes if I dont see one.

I don't think there's any question the coating is going to be your best choice. The conventional wisdom was (not sure if I'm behind the times) that topping a coating with wax or sealant is not really of any value because it won't "bond" to the coating.

IME inevitably the salt/sand/potholes will get your wheels, no matter what you put on them...but the brake dust will come off easier with the coating...:p

I'll be doing the same with my winter wheels this season to try it out. I'm most likely going to try out gloss coat since I can get it so cheap and it's super easy to apply.

So I'll be getting some new 18" winter wheels next week. I was wondering what would be best for protection against winter/salt and other chemicals they put on the roads here in Toronto.

Options i was thinking,

2 Coats of Ceramic Coating (likely Geyon Pure or cquartz UK 3.0)
or
2 Coats Of Collinite No. 915 Marque D'elegance
or
1 Coat of Ceramic Coating & then a layer of Collinite No 915 on top?

What do you guys think? I'm not worried about the look/gloss or water hydrophobic properties, I want the best protection to protect the finish on these.

ThanksView attachment 65155

Do you already have Pure or CQUK 3.0 in your possession? Those would work as any of the other wheel coatings would work as well.

So I'll be getting some new
18" winter wheels next week.
:wow:...Nice Winter wheels!!

65155d1539870470-protecting-winter-wheels-fc04b-jpg

Bob

I was thinking the same thing, Bob. My winter wheels are the OEM's with curb rash and the nice ones are for summer!

I would simply coat the wheels and call it a day. The coating should provide plenty of protection. I'm running a coat of McKee's 37 paint coating on my winter wheels since it was what I had available on hand last winter when they were mounted to the car.

Wax or sealant should bond to the coating, but the coating possesses the best self cleaning and easiest to manually clean, both traits very beneficial for wheels that get hammered with brake dust and road grime. Topping these will remove one of the most beneficial attributes of the coating.

Yes I believe I do have some left over from coating a car in the summer.

Do you already have Pure or CQUK 3.0 in your possession? Those would work as any of the other wheel coatings would work as well.

Not to hi-jack this thread...Would "Plasti-Dip" work for the winter? 'They' say the stuff just peels off, so maybe use a 'clear' just for winter?

Bill

I would ceramic coat the new wheels for winter. Maintain the coating with Blackfire SiO2 Spray Sealant or Sonax Spray & Seal.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating
Gyeon Q2 Rim
CarPro Dlux
McKee's 37 Wheel Coating
GTechniq C5 Wheel Armor

I have often wondering between ceramic coating for car paint vs dedicated ceramic coating for wheels.

What is the benefit with wheel coating?

The longevity is often less for a wheel coating on wheels vs coating on paint. You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them? What I have heard the wheel coatings has a higher amount of Sio2. To stand up better to abrasions from wheel brushes and wheel cleaners. Then many don't use that when the wheels are coated and just use the wash solution. I would see a big benefit if you just needed to use a wheel cleaner and PW them clean and gets it a touchless wash. Have used Gyeon Wet Coat on the wheels for a year now. But the time between washes has been to long so still need some brushing on the wheel barrels. It's releasing the brake dust much easier than unprotected wheels but not touchless. The longevity has been great which surprised me. Better than on the paint for some reason. Could be that the vertical surface of the wheels it's more noticeble that it's something left than on the horisontall surfaces on paint. The winter wheels is getting the Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating this year. Not the longest lasting wheel coating. Based on PTFE and Tio2 could be the reason it's not the longevity of it as the Sio2 based wheel coating. Will see if it can survive the winter months here in Sweden which is quite harsh winter weather. And if it don't last the full winter months I have Sonax Spray and Seal to top it in the end.

I would definitely apply a wheel coating on new wheels or ones in great condition. Or use a coating for paint if I had leftover from it. Since it's a season wheel it will survive a winter without any problems. Wonders if it could last 2 winter seasons? I would test to before putting it to storage. To apply some ceramic topper to them after a good cleaning. And protect and maybe ad some Sio2 so the natuaral degrade gets on the topper during storage.

Great looking winter wheels. What car is they going on?

/Tony

You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them?

I used CarPro CQ "classic" on my summer wheels. They are now wraping up their second season with the coating and it appears to be still going strong. I drive the car daily and wash it every few weeks with the wheels being subjected to a mild wheel cleaner.

Yes Plasti dip will work. I used it on my old winter rims for 2 winters. on the 2nd winter it was peeling toward the end. The key is to do multiple layers to get it nice and thick (which I did not do) If its not thick enough it wont last. I would say 5 Layers, I think I did about 3 but was not really enough for the winter IMO

Not to hi-jack this thread...Would "Plasti-Dip" work for the winter? 'They' say the stuff just peels off, so maybe use a 'clear' just for winter?

Bill

Thanks,

They are going on a Golf R

I have often wondering between ceramic coating for car paint vs dedicated ceramic coating for wheels.

What is the benefit with wheel coating?

The longevity is often less for a wheel coating on wheels vs coating on paint. You who have used coating for paint on wheels what has the longevity been on them? What I have heard the wheel coatings has a higher amount of Sio2. To stand up better to abrasions from wheel brushes and wheel cleaners. Then many don't use that when the wheels are coated and just use the wash solution. I would see a big benefit if you just needed to use a wheel cleaner and PW them clean and gets it a touchless wash. Have used Gyeon Wet Coat on the wheels for a year now. But the time between washes has been to long so still need some brushing on the wheel barrels. It's releasing the brake dust much easier than unprotected wheels but not touchless. The longevity has been great which surprised me. Better than on the paint for some reason. Could be that the vertical surface of the wheels it's more noticeble that it's something left than on the horisontall surfaces on paint. The winter wheels is getting the Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating this year. Not the longest lasting wheel coating. Based on PTFE and Tio2 could be the reason it's not the longevity of it as the Sio2 based wheel coating. Will see if it can survive the winter months here in Sweden which is quite harsh winter weather. And if it don't last the full winter months I have Sonax Spray and Seal to top it in the end.

I would definitely apply a wheel coating on new wheels or ones in great condition. Or use a coating for paint if I had leftover from it. Since it's a season wheel it will survive a winter without any problems. Wonders if it could last 2 winter seasons? I would test to before putting it to storage. To apply some ceramic topper to them after a good cleaning. And protect and maybe ad some Sio2 so the natuaral degrade gets on the topper during storage.

Great looking winter wheels. What car is they going on?

/Tony

Back