PDA

View Full Version : Are "love marks" inevitable??

Pages : [1] 2

DETAILROOKIE
03-12-2019, 07:34 PM
I washed my Explorer today and I'm always extra careful when washing my paint, foam cannon, my mitts and drying towels after every wash, change them regularly, and always use drying aid plus the master blaster sidekick, but today the sun hit the paint and I saw "love marks" on the paint. I inspect my paint after every wash with the sun and scan grip lights. I'm guess it was when I did a second coat of CMX a day after the initial application. I used the sidekick to blow the dust off the paint, but i never noticed these Marks until after that application. Any tips on applying additional coats of any product the follow day? Should I simply hose down the car and dry it first?

I guess I'll be using 3D ONE sooner than I thought lol.

The picture is just to show the color I'm working with. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190313/14e5875fdace1fd93d4806c52b61927d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

fly07sti
03-12-2019, 07:40 PM
I believe they are inevitable to some degree. If you’re going to add an additional layer of something after the vehicle has sat for any amount of time, I’d use a waterless wash after the Sidekick or even a rinseless wash. Explorer looks great BTW!

Eldorado2k
03-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Best thing to do is to either blow the dust off then do a waterless wash with something like McKee’s N-914 or give it a quik rinse followed by the waterless with N-914. You want to use something like that because it leaves nothing behind and won’t interfere with what you’re about to lay down.

Personally I’d go with the 1st method.

DETAILROOKIE
03-12-2019, 07:44 PM
Thank you for the tips! Definitely learned my lesson. I keep hearing so many good things a out N-914, I need to buy some after I finish my ONR.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Autogeekonline mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87407)

PaulMys
03-12-2019, 07:49 PM
Fact of business.

Even the most careful of us will instill a swirl here or there.

If we didn't, there would no need for this forum. Lol

I stopped worrying about "every single little swirl" years ago. They can always be corrected.

Just be as careful as you can with the methods described above, and here on AGO in general.

This hobby should be fun, not another stress in your life. :props:

DETAILROOKIE
03-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Fact of business.

Even the most careful of us will instill a swirl here or there.

If we didn't, there would no need for this forum. Lol

I stopped worrying about "every single little swirl" years ago. They can always be corrected.

Just be as careful as you can with the methods described above, and here on AGO in general.

This hobby should be fun, not another stress in your life. :props:Thank you for that!

It is just my luck that this happens the day before I planned on showing my to a potential client to show him my work! Hahahaha. I'm sure he won't notice, but I'll take my wife's Jeep instead. The Jeep is love mark free since I just polished it a month ago.

Calendyr
03-12-2019, 08:28 PM
It depends on many factors, some you can control like the method you are using and the products and so on. Washing the car too often is the one thing you can avoid by doing a pressure washing and not following with a hand wash. Of course it is much easier to do this if the car is ceramic coated. If not, a pressure wash might not remove enough of the dirt without a proper wash afterwards.

Some of the aspects you cannot control is the paint hardness. If you have soft paint, no matter how you wash the car it is almost impossible not do create micro scratches. On harder paint it is possible to prevent pretty much all marring.

Paul A.
03-13-2019, 09:16 AM
To answer your thread title question, in my opinion, yes, they are inevitable on a daily or frequently driven vehicle. Over the years I have significantly reduced the chance of creating even minor scratching however have not found any way to totally eliminate them 100%.

As Mike P says "anytime you touch a vehicle you risk marring".

Mike Phillips
03-13-2019, 09:20 AM
but today the sun hit the paint and I saw "love marks" on the paint.

Got help out a brother man....

What do you mean by love marks?

:)

Btrahin
03-13-2019, 10:43 AM
I also have no idea what you're talking about...Surely there's proper terminology that could be used here? Love marks? That's a new one for me :)

LSNAutoDetailing
03-13-2019, 11:48 AM
Got help out a brother man....

What do you mean by love marks?

:)

Love Marks: Swirls and scratches induced by OCD wipe downs and washing. Not necessarily caused by neglect, automatic car washes or improper technique, rather a combination of soft paint, and an incessant need to keep it dirt/dust free.

That’s how I understand it. Mike, feel free to use that in the next book revision. Lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desertnate
03-13-2019, 11:58 AM
To answer your thread title question, in my opinion, yes, they are inevitable on a daily or frequently driven vehicle. Over the years I have significantly reduced the chance of creating even minor scratching however have not found any way to totally eliminate them 100%.

Agree. "Stuff" will happen like someone will brush against your car in a parking lot, a few marks created while removing snow/ice, an unseen partical gets into your wash mitt or drying towel, etc.

You can't stress it to much and simply do all you can to reduce the chances of it happening.

TTQ B4U
03-13-2019, 12:23 PM
Agree. "Stuff" will happen like someone will brush against your car in a parking lot, a few marks created while removing snow/ice, an unseen partical gets into your wash mitt or drying towel, etc.

You can't stress it to much and simply do all you can to reduce the chances of it happening.

^^ this.

My car got it’s first one over winter. Somewhere someone bumped my back bumper and put in a series of small lines as they must have been turning into a spot.

They buffed out 90-95%. Not through the clear but what it looks like is a depression in the clear coat with like 4 lines. Small and will likely never been noticed by anyone but me. Sucks but it is just a car.

My wife has had no less than 5 door dings in her Lincoln. UGH..... I got them all out 100% but two had to have some touch up paint applied. Again, I call them 95% fixed and while slightly noticeable if you look, they certainly aren’t anything to cry about. Especially considering what they were in terms of also having had a corresponding dent. Thankfully they were in locations that I was able to get them out easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bill D
03-13-2019, 12:37 PM
I guess even parking far away can’t 100% prevent stuff. Shame. :(

TTQ B4U
03-13-2019, 12:44 PM
I guess even parking far away can’t 100% prevent stuff. Shame. :(

nope. I do most all the time but there are occasions where I have to reside in the general population.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro