Microfiber pads for the 3401

Bicycle

Reaction score
I use LC Hybrid pads on my 3401. When compounding I use their orange pad. I just had a car that I probably could have used a pad that was more aggressive. I compounded with FG 400.

I was curious if a microfiber cutting pad would work on the Flex??
Any suggestions?? I’ve heard pros and cons using microfiber with the 3401.

Thanks!!

You can use a MF pad on the 3401. You may experience an aggressive grabbing action which causes the machine to jerk around a bit. I too use the 3401, Hybrids, and Menzerna range, and when heavier compounding is needed I use the Hybrid wool pad.

I tried using some Optimum MF pads with FG400 and it was very grabby for sure. I'll stick to wool pads with the 3401 when more cut is needed.

I've tried a few on the flex and didn't really like it. Try the grey force pad or the wool. I never tried wool

You can use a MF pad on the 3401. You may experience an aggressive grabbing action which causes the machine to jerk around a bit. I too use the 3401, Hybrids, and Menzerna range, and when heavier compounding is needed I use the Hybrid wool pad.

I tried using some Optimum MF pads with FG400 and it was very grabby for sure. I'll stick to wool pads with the 3401 when more cut is needed.

Yea. Now I remember you or another member suggesting the Hybrids.
As far as amount of product, priming the pad and speed; would the technique be similar to using foam pads??

And do you clean while buffing with a brush or spur?? And wash with pad cleaner or Dawn???

I’m gonna order a few of them.
I just checked the Store.
You’re referring to the Force Hybrid Blue Wool pad??

Thanks.

Yea. Now I remember you or another member suggesting the Hybrids.
As far as amount of product, priming the pad and speed; would the technique be similar to using foam pads??

And do you clean while buffing with a brush or spur?? And wash with pad cleaner or Dawn???

I’m gonna order a few of them.

Thanks.

Most likely me. I am the one that laid out the "Smack Technique"
My technique concerning the 3401, Menzerna products, and Hybrid pads

The technique will be identical but with MF pads you want to pre season the pads like you would with a normal DA.

I have always used a brush as I most of the time I did not have air.

Always wash with a pad cleaner.

Mike

I use a purple foamed wool pad with FG400 when I need to cut through the bad stuff on my 3401. It's a HUGE step up from an orange foam pad.

Ever since I picked up some Lake Country Low Lint Wool Pads I have been loving them. I love the Hybrid Foamed Woolones too but the feel with the Low Lint ones is great. :buffing:

Be sure to get the ones with the foam interface though, in my experience on the 3401, something with a little bit of depth to it is far more comfortable. They cut just like the Hybrids but just a touch nicer to use. :props:

Aaryn NZ. :dblthumb2:

I tried a MF cutting pad with my Flex 3401 but didn't like the "action" as much as the Hybrid blue wool.

Aaryn now has me interested in trying the low lint wool!

I will say that when I need to break out the wool (or MF cutting pad) I grab my rotary and go to town. I don't really need the benefits of dual action because I know I will be refining the work with a finer step. I'll most likely be getting some fine holo's and hazing after cutting aggressively with wool/rotary. Those are very easily cleaned up with my Flex and foams.

Now, if I only had my Flex I would be using wool pads instead of MF pads.

Just me...

Aaryn now has me interested in trying the low lint wool!

Haha! :props:

They’re the real deal Paul A. I grabbed a bunch when I was over for Detail Fest & I’m sure glad I did.

This picture here is ONLY CarPro ClearCUT on a Lake Country Manufacturing Low Lint Wool pad. Just that! Nothing more.

I did refine & seal the job later but that’s pretty sweet for a compound on wool.

2df48c71e98bac6dd4e68b8cc798d30e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

They’re the real deal Paul A. I grabbed a bunch when I was over for Detail Fest & I’m sure glad I did.

This picture here is ONLY CarPro ClearCUT on a Lake Country Manufacturing Low Lint Wool pad. Just that! Nothing more.

I did refine & seal the job later but that’s pretty sweet for a compound on wool.

Wow that thing was hammered!

I use LC Hybrid pads on my 3401. When compounding I use their orange pad. I just had a car that I probably could have used a pad that was more aggressive. I compounded with FG 400.

I was curious if a microfiber cutting pad would work on the Flex??
Any suggestions?? I’ve heard pros and cons using microfiber with the 3401.

Thanks!!

Never liked MF with forced rotation. Too grabby. Purple or Blue Wool pads are the way to go. For heavy compounding they cut fast and finish out extremely well leaving only a very slight haze to polish out.

I did my brothers tundra a few months ago. About the same as that last pic. One stage of clear cut did wonders. I used Lake Country micro fibers in my Boss 21. Love them. Cut and finish great.
577c07277f1d871eb22fee04f4c59b5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Insanely good results!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a little Google searching. Used these words,

Lake Country Microfiber Pads Grabby Mike Phillips

Found this article about 5 search results down. Heck - I forgot I even wrote it. Time stamp = 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM

That "Grabby" feel - Thin vs Thick MF pads on Dual Action Polishers

And it was actually THIS thread from 2012 where the term grabby was coined to describe THIN fiber pads on gear-driven tools.

2012 Dodge Challenger + Menzerna Color Lock Makeover

I've been asked a lot since microfiber pads have been introduced which pads for which tools and here's what I know...

For tools with a free floating spindle bearing assembly, the thin, stiffer microfiber pads work well.

For any of the gear-driven tools, for example rotary buffers and the Flex 3401, then microfiber pads with a thicker foam core buff better while thin microfiber pads are grabby.

By the words buff better I mean they are not grabby like the thin pads and thus it's a LOT easier to guide and glide the buffer over the paint without fighting the grabbing effect.

This is why I had both Robert and Paul test out the different types of pads on the same tools with the same products on the same paint system, so all variable were reduced to just the thickness of the pad.

Generally speaking, thicker pads feel smoother on gear-driven tools.

Car Wax History

:)

Back