Clearcoat issue

Gaspar74

Reaction score
View attachment 68271So my rear passenger door was worked on by last owner. There was a spot of where paint chipped and rusted. They halfassedly just painted that one area and added regular clear to
tje spot. I’ve been attempting to paint correct I t myself and had gotten it to point where it looked decent. It had shine and gloss but you could tell where work was done. Today I was working on it with new polisher I got a 15mm long throw and using microfiber pad and 3D one I was working it some more. It looks like I cut through the lousy clear
they added and got down to original clear on car or I burnt through the clear. In the pics there
is a hazy like area that wasn’t there before. It doesn’t feel like I went through clear and there’s an awesome
mirrow finish on door now that wasn’t there before. Please advise? What’s going on here? I’ve been trying to cut through it and see if the darker color and shine like bottom part
xomes through. View attachment 68268

Yep, I think the MF pad was too much for whatever repair they did and 86'd what was left of the clear...

I've also seen where too much heat can create a haze/blemish area, however, this can sometimes be corrected with a light polish/pad combo, low speed and light pressure.

It doesn’t feel at all like I cut through the clear though. It’s a mirror finish. Now the area where the haze is did get hot as I was trying cut through the paint and spray clear that was on top. There was over spray everywhere too. Shouldn’t it feel like I went though it?

View attachment 68272 my concern is the hasy area. After buffing some more I’ve made it more uniform than yesterday. The paint below the hazy area color got darker and finish smooth as glass. I’m not sure what else to do. I feel like the haze may either be from heat or that there’s still old spray paint there and underneath that is the original finish prior to the rework.

Yeah, you'd feel it if you went through. It's very strange. Perhaps it was different color paint from the repair? Only other thing I can think of.

Was the car repainted at anytime it looks like that's the outline of a large run in the paint that was ultimately corrected and you may have worked down to it

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Any suggestions on how to remove that haze? Should I work at it again with the microfiber cutting pad and maybe tougher compound? I have Meguiars 205, HD ONE and HD Speed for compounds right now. I know in that area if you zoom in you can see chipped spot where it was touched up just with spray paint. Then they just shot it a little with clear in a can. Wish I had pics of how it was before I’ve attempted working it.

I know that just that area there was spray painted to fix a chip and an where it had started rust tiny bit. So basically like small strip was touched up very poorly. The clear didn’t match at all etc. I had managed to blend most of it in myself like a month ago buffing but still wasn’t perfect. So this happened my second go around at trying to cut through all the over spray and get down to the cars natural finish. I know car many years ago was in an accident front passenger side and maybe they painted that whole side after. Not sure.

•IMO:
-It’s possible that, in the affected area—of which
you’ve provided pictures—the bond between the
base-coat and clear-coat paint films (as well as
within the clear-coat’s matrix itself), has been
compromised to the point of failure.

-A re-spray may wind up being the
only real clear remedy.

Bob

It must of been covered up then by more clear as it wasn’t like that till I started cutting into it to level things off. I’m assuming to fix would be complete repaint of Dior etc?

I should of just left it way I had it. But no have to keep trying to get it perfect. Mind you the cars almost 15 years old and has its share of little things here and there. I already repainted a fender that clear had totally started coming off and paint was flaking

I know that just that area there was spray painted to fix a chip and an where it had started rust tiny bit. So basically like small strip was touched up very poorly. The clear didn’t match at all etc. I had managed to blend most of it in myself like a month ago buffing but still wasn’t perfect. So this happened my second go around at trying to cut through all the over spray and get down to the cars natural finish. I know car many years ago was in an accident front passenger side and maybe they painted that whole side after. Not sure.

The natural finish is probably bad since they tried to fix it. Either that or the spray paint messed it up idk? The natural finish is probably messed up.

Depends on the results your trying to achieve but paint is the best option if perfection is your goal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hmm, this doesn't make me want to try much of anything on the paint issue I have that's similar :/

Depends on the results your trying to achieve but paint is the best option if perfection is your goal.

what would other option be? I’ve painted my fender and I did it while on car. Despite same color you can tell in sun it’s been painted looks not as dark plus there’s a line you can see through the 2k clear where I tried blending it in with back part of fender. Should of done entire fender....

You can't paint a single panel and expect it to match without blending it in to the others. Only way to achieve the result you want is to blend in panel to the others.

You can't paint a single panel and expect it to match without blending it in to the others. Only way to achieve the result you want is to blend in panel to the others.

Mostly true but it depends on a lot things I just painted 3 of 4 panels on one side of my wife's car and i would challenge you to figure out which one i didnt

Sent from my SM-A205U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Back