HELP ME MAKE UP MY MIND

richhinz

Dec 9, 2017
Need help to decide rupes 15 mark III or griots 15 Boss. for my new polisher. Looking for the + &- of each. Is the price worth the rupes almost 200.00 more. Thank You.

Griot's Garage = Lifetime warranty and SUPERIOR customer service[emoji779][emoji779] The money you save you can upgrade the backing plate and buy pads/polish from them, along with other things that many be of interest to you[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I chose the G15. Not just because it’s cheaper but for the lifetime warranty. If a product is good the manufacturer should stand behind it. One year warranty is not good enough for me so my decision wasn’t that hard to make.

Griot's Garage = Lifetime warranty and SUPERIOR customer service[emoji779][emoji779] The money you save you can upgrade the backing plate and buy pads/polish from them, along with other things that many be of interest to you[emoji106][emoji106]

to add to Roger's post..

these new polishers (G15 & G21) have set the bar even higher (features/innovation, comfort/ergonomics, torque/power, etc.) and this is only their 2nd gen, not 3rd or 4th (with continuing/climbing higher price tag). add in GG's top notch, responsive, and No BS/Nonsense customer support to boot (some companies make excuses and/or blame the customer if they have an issue/problem with their product(s) and may not even reply back (or at all) if you try calling/e-mailing them).

most companies only offer a one year warranty with their polishers (what if you only use it a few times a year?) that goes pretty fast. you will be paying even more money later down the road if a problem arises to an already expensive initial purchase. spend your money wisely and choose a company that will have your back and guarantee/support for their product(s) 100% unconditionally...

header_different_3.png

WE GUARANTEE IT
Griot's Garage was built on high expectations, which is why everything we sell is covered by a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Guarantee against defect.
We strive for perfection in everything we do so you always... Have fun in your garage!®

my G15 is already in the shopping cart!!! :xyxthumbs:

The fact that one can customize the counter weight to balance the machine (gives me more pad choices).....does it for me.

Went through same dilemma, went with the older G15. At first a little FOMO because i don’t like to do things half way. After using it a few times I have zero regrets. I spent the extra money on a 3” polisher.... you’ll definitely need one with a 15mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went through same dilemma, went with the older G15. At first a little FOMO because i don’t like to do things half way. After using it a few times I have zero regrets. I spent the extra money on a 3” polisher.... you’ll definitely need one with a 15mm

That's a good point, save that $200 towards a 3" polisher and get the 2" backing plate conversion...well, whenever they come in[emoji848]

Need help to decide rupes 15 mark III or griots 15 Boss. for my new polisher. Looking for the + &- of each.

Is the price worth the rupes almost 200.00 more.

Thank You.

Just curious - what kind of research did you do before choosing to go with either a RUPES BigFoot 15 or a Griot's Garage BOSS 15?

Both companies offer great tools, pads and products, so yeah, the choice can be a tick difficult, this is why it's important to do some research. I would throw this out there that one of the benefits to attending any of the car detailing classes I teach is that you get lots of hands-on time with both these brands as "systems".

:)

I went with the G15 and have been very happy with it.

As a hobbyist, the G15 was a no-brainer for me. Between the price and the great warranty, I had no reason to look at much more costly tools. Now that I've used it on a couple cars, I can honestly say I have no regrets. The polisher is well built, great ergonomics, and works fantastic.

I went with a G21 and G15 a few years ago. When I went full time this spring I went all Flex and a G9 and sold the 2 BOSS machines. When hammering through countless F350s F450s 2500s, and 3500s,Some would like the long throw, not this guy, I want zero pad stall. I do have an XFE 15 if I get the desire for a long throw

I had it in my brain to get a Rupes LHR 15 Mark II, not really realizing (after reading this thread) the difference between long throw vs. short throw. Now after reading the comments here visited the Griot's site and saw their G9 and G15, the G9 being for enthusiasts and the G15 being for experts...

...so, what is the real difference between these short and long throw machines, and should I avoid one vs the other? My understanding is that the long throw machines will be able to cover a slightly larger area, therefore reducing time, but in terms of ease of use and capability, is there really that much of a difference that would allow them to be placed in two separate categories (enthusiast vs expert)?

I had it in my brain to get a Rupes LHR 15 Mark II, not really realizing (after reading this thread) the difference between long throw vs. short throw. Now after reading the comments here visited the Griot's site and saw their G9 and G15, the G9 being for enthusiasts and the G15 being for experts...

...so, what is the real difference between these short and long throw machines, and should I avoid one vs the other? My understanding is that the long throw machines will be able to cover a slightly larger area, therefore reducing time, but in terms of ease of use and capability, is there really that much of a difference that would allow them to be placed in two separate categories (enthusiast vs expert)?

There are plenty of pros that uses the G9 (with the knowledge that the G9 is not their only tool). Both machines are very capable. Actually... any machine can be capable in the right hands. A short throw will have a smaller learning curve for someone new to machine polishing. The trick with the long throw is the ability to keep the pad squarely flat to the surface of the panel. When dealing with an area like the trunk of most cars...its not an issue since most trunks are flat. A curve panel (especially a concave curve) is another matter. This is where most pad stalling happens. There are techniques to counter that and it can be learn.

The learning of a short throw is a bit more intuitive. A few years back, I gave my daughter a Porter cable to play with. I taught her a few basic concepts and she became efficient at it within no time. She even helped me with a few jobs over that same summer.

Like I stated earlier in another post... I would choose the G9 over the G15 as my first machine. The question from OP was G15 or Rupes ... I would go with the G15.

I am a noob/novice. I went g15 as i figured their would be a learning curve and did not want to upgrade later.

I marked my backing plate as Mike stated and just watch for rotation. In my head I Thought the stalling would come on panels that curved up (concave). The pad actually stalls on panels that bow out (convex). You just have to contour the head to find the angle to get most surface contact and it started spinning again. Definitely slowed me down but when i got to other side it got more intuitive.

Probable didnt save time on my first few polishes but I got the job done and was proud of the results. I feel i understand the polisher better and did get quicker on each following job.

I feel its like a bike and hopefully wont forget habits and hopefully will be faster and have a long throw for those big vehicles that come my way.

Also helped a neighbor who had a GG6 and I used my g15. We both started on the sides the same time and i finished a full panel sooner. We weren’t racing and i took as much time and care on his car as i did my own.

Yea mike I decided on those two machines from reading different articles on this forum. Was also thinking about the flex But i had shoulder surgery, read the flex kind of gives you a work out. and figured might not be good on shoulder. but maybe wrong

Yea mike I decided on those two machines from reading different articles on this forum. Was also thinking about the flex But i had shoulder surgery, read the flex kind of gives you a work out. and figured might not be good on shoulder. but maybe wrong

I'm assuming you are just doing your own cars, Rich?

If so, I'm also assuming you do not need to do any hardcore/heavy correction.

I would go with the G9. It has TONS of power, and will be all you need and more.

I mostly use the flex for compounding and a long throw for finishing (dependent on how the paint reacts to the action of the tool). Flex will not stall and I like to apply moderate pressure to get things done fast. Long throw machine takes a different approach.

If Flex and Rupes are cars, Flex is the SRT Demon while Rupes is the 911 S.