PDA

View Full Version : Best method to apply PB Black Hole

Pages : [1] 2

angrypressmn
05-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Just Rec'd PB Black Hole what do you think is best way for application by machine(flex) or Hand ? If machine what pad CCs white or grey what speed to to work in? how long b4 you can top with PB sealant then Natty blue ?

budman3
05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
I used it with a finishing pad and a PC. Using the flex I would use a finishing pad (grey) and one of the lowest speed settings. I believe you can top it with a sealant shortly after the glaze but you'll need to wait to add Natty's 24 hours after the sealant (EX, or Ex-P?).

ScottB
05-11-2008, 01:01 PM
machine as offered, no need to go full blast. Steve infact offered at DFIII that it is compatible with sealant or wax based upon users choice.

sportscarhiatus
07-13-2010, 11:43 PM
folks... resurrecting this thread because I ordered some and it's on the way. But after searching and reading, it seems like there's some questions/concerns on PROPER APPLICATION methods? Could experts on BH please chime and state HOW to properly apply and use BH?

I have read that it needs to be applied until you see a shine... is that almost like rubbing it in using a foam applicator? then buff off? And how is this going to be accomplished if I want to use a PC?

Reddwarf
07-18-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm no expert, but my experience is follow directions on the bottle. Apply thin, by hand or PC. I use a PC with a gray or blue pad on a low speed. After it hazes I wipe off with an MF.

You can top it right away with sealant or wax.

WRAPT C5Z06
07-18-2010, 11:53 AM
It's good stuff if you use it correctly. Speed 1 or 2 with the Flex 3401 and a gray pad. Do not work it in too much as you want it to "sit" on the paint. You can apply wax or a sealant right after buffing off the haze.

HighEndDetail
07-18-2010, 03:49 PM
I used it with a gray pad, speed about 2-3 with my griot's.
Let it haze and remove with a mf

sportscarhiatus
07-19-2010, 09:30 PM
thanks for feedback.. I just received my PB BH today and hope to use it this weekend...

For those of you that have used it, is it worth it? If my surface is prepped properly, is there an advantage to applying BH versus going straight to a sealant/wax?

Bulgari
07-19-2010, 10:07 PM
I apply speed 2 or 3 via black LC pad (5.5in).

I really like using it, it noticeably makes the paint slick and smooth to the touch, not to mention it darkens the color as well. I also like the fact that it fills in minor imperfections.

Bunky
07-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I apply speed 2 or 3 via black LC pad (5.5in).

I really like using it, it noticeably makes the paint slick and smooth to the touch, not to mention it darkens the color as well. I also like the fact that it fills in minor imperfections.

Do you just spread in one pass or go over multiple times? I used it just once and it seemed to dry out quickly even at speed 1 or 2.

sportscarhiatus
07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
And is it only advisable to use PB BH on a surface that is FREE from any LSP's? I guess what I'm saying is, I've got a couple of layers of sealant and wax on my vehicles already, I was wondering if I have to strip off everything before I use BH. Granted, on the vehicle I want to use it on, it hasn't been waxed in about 5 weeks. I was hoping to just be able to use BH as is, then top off with a sealant/wax. Any issues with that?

longdx
07-20-2010, 03:28 PM
You can use BH either over an existing LSP or lock it in prior to applying an LSP. BH is good stuff and an excellent glaze. I used it last year on my well worn older DD (with single stage red) and locked it in with IW845. I recently bought a new (well new to me 2009 Rav4) and plan on using it before I apply a LSP. So, the short answer is you can apply it and then seal it with whatever LSP you like.

Bulgari
07-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Bunky-

I make several passes on any given panel to ensure sufficient coverage and to optimize filling.

You're right, it does seem to dry rather fast, but I have not had any issues working it in from the pad to the paint. Do you prime the product on the pad a la KBM? I find that *helps* with the drying.

FinalTouchAuto
07-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Black Hole was the last "free sample" that I got from Autogeek but I haven't had a chance to try it out.

This thread has certainly been informative. I look forward to giving it a shot on my next detail.

sportscarhiatus
07-20-2010, 10:02 PM
You can use BH either over an existing LSP or lock it in prior to applying an LSP. BH is good stuff and an excellent glaze. I used it last year on my well worn older DD (with single stage red) and locked it in with IW845. I recently bought a new (well new to me 2009 Rav4) and plan on using it before I apply a LSP. So, the short answer is you can apply it and then seal it with whatever LSP you like.

Right... I understand that I can top BH with any LSP, but from your first sentence, you claim that it can go on top of an existing LSP. Are you certain? Your single stage DD that you applied BH on, was the surface LSP-free?

I just want to make sure, because since BH is a glaze, doesn't it need to bond to an LSP-free surface? Has anyone here used BH on top of an existing LSP? And what LSP was it?