Help! How do I get these spots off my wheels?!

KootRoc

Reaction score
I have to admit I was a little lazy over winter so I didn't clean my wheels every two weeks.
I also got new OEM brake pads.

Now I have these black spots all over my wheels.

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4623.JPG

IMG_4619.JPG

I already clay barred them and the feel VERY smooth (drastic difference) except for these huge (relative) black chunks.
I also tried to clean it with a bug and tar remover along with Klasse AIO.
Any Suggestions on how to get this stuff off?

have you tried wd-40 or 3m adhesive /wax remover

just check in a little spot first so you know its safe to use

I would try some sort of solvent but just be sure it's safe on your wheels finish first.

I would try some sort of solvent but just be sure it's safe on your wheels finish first.

+1, and they're definitely clearcoated. Usually if clay won't touch something like that, something with a solvent in it (bug & tar remover, etc) should take care of it.

+1, and they're definitely clearcoated. Usually if clay won't touch something like that, something with a solvent in it (bug & tar remover, etc) should take care of it.

As I stated earlier, I already tried a bug and tar remover... I set it sit on the spot as directed for about a minute... then removed w/ a little elbow grease... still there.

Any other suggestions?

wow, i went back and read your first post and I completely missed the text at the bottom the first time I read it lol. have you tried cleaning them with a wheel cleaner like p21s?

Do they feel raised or dented , as tar sticks up and dents usually are pitting in clearcoat. I would saturate the area with Poorboys Bug Squash and then see if they will wipe off. If the contaminent pitted the clearcoat, you are stuck.

wow, i went back and read your first post and I completely missed the text at the bottom the first time I read it lol. have you tried cleaning them with a wheel cleaner like p21s?

Nope I have not. I saw that they have a finish restorer but I haven't tried any p21s products.

Do they feel raised or dented , as tar sticks up and dents usually are pitting in clearcoat. I would saturate the area with Poorboys Bug Squash and then see if they will wipe off. If the contaminent pitted the clearcoat, you are stuck.

It its definitely raised. I can't remember the exact brand of bug and tar remover I used but I'll definitely look into the poorboys one.

Any other input?

just offering up another suggestion I thought of, what about DP cleanse-all. that stuff gets out a lot of things....

I'm 80% sure I have some in my arsenal, If you don't have it I can send you a little bit to see if it works? worth a try

I know, those friggin spots seem to get on everything.

dalm.jpg

Have you tried "agitating" it while it was soaking. Maybe with a soft bristle toothbrush?

Yeah, I tried that, but the dog bit me and the cats scratched me

As I stated earlier, I already tried a bug and tar remover... I set it sit on the spot as directed for about a minute... then removed w/ a little elbow grease... still there.

Any other suggestions?

There are many tar removers out there...some are much stronger than others.

Try some lacquer thinner but make sure to test it in a small inconspicuous area first. Most factory wheels should be fine.

I see that spotting on many BMW / German car wheels due to metallic or higher performance pads. I think it's pieces of the pad material that are very hot and get semi-embedded into the wheel paint. You probably need to move up on the scale of abrasives, though I'd try one of the specific purpose wheel cleaners meant for clear coated wheels if you haven't already. Best to try that before you take a scrub pad, or something else to them.

At the bottom of the post you will see I already tried claying and bug and tar remover.

I see that spotting on many BMW / German car wheels due to metallic or higher performance pads. I think it's pieces of the pad material that are very hot and get semi-embedded into the wheel paint. You probably need to move up on the scale of abrasives, though I'd try one of the specific purpose wheel cleaners meant for clear coated wheels if you haven't already. Best to try that before you take a scrub pad, or something else to them.

Thanks... that's kind of what i thought it was since i got new pads over winter.... Which is probably why the tar remover didn't work either...

I think I'll try the megs wheel brightener or some type of solvent and a credit card method.

It's tar, you jiz-heads.

Buy a bottle of Mothers PowerMetal Aluminum. Apply and rub with a microfiber towel and it will come right off. ;)

Back