Light bulbs for garage to uncover defects?

WRAPT C5Z06

Reaction score
What's the best type of light bulbs to use in a garage to uncover swirls/scratches? I use bulbs that hang from the celing and are long and skinny(tube type).

For the Light tubes. Replace them with LED light tubes. I believe the 4300K is the closest to the sun. 500w and 1000w light stands work good to

One can actually see these lights on a post by Pampos in Show N'Shine,where he does a Aston Martin DB9.
As portable i think Brinkman dual xenon are the most used .

There are a lot of variables involved. It depends on where & how the light is hitting the paint, and the angle from which you are looking at it. The difference between 500 & 1,000 watts is quite a bit of difference. 1,000 is a lot brighter. Florescent lights can easily show swirls if your car is right next to one.

Depending upon the angle at which you are trying to view micro marring/swirls, halogens can sometimes emit too much light to be able to view micro marring/swirls, sometimes, depending on how the light is hitting the surface, and the angle at which you are looking at a particular surface, halogens can be blinding.

I like florescents, as I have four overhead rows in my garage (4 ft @ 40 watts apiece). Florescents can illuminate a hell of a lot of area, (horizontal panels) without blinding me.

It seems like halogen light either shows micro marring, or it doesen't. It seems like you have to view a panel at 90 degrees to see light reflecting from swirls with a halogen, whereas with florescents, the angle from which a swirl is/can viewed is more flexable.

But to answer your question directly, 1,000 watts is a lot brighter than 500 watts, thus allowing more defects to be seen easier.

There are a lot of variables involved. It depends on where & how the light is hitting the paint, and the angle from which you are looking at it. The difference between 500 & 1,000 watts is quite a bit of difference. 1,000 is a lot brighter. Florescent lights can easily show swirls if your car is right next to one.

Depending upon the angle at which you are trying to view micro marring/swirls, halogens can sometimes emit too much light to be able to view micro marring/swirls, sometimes, depending on how the light is hitting the surface, and the angle at which you are looking at a particular surface, halogens can be blinding.

I like florescents, as I have four overhead rows in my garage (4 ft @ 40 watts apiece). Florescents can illuminate a hell of a lot of area, (horizontal panels) without blinding me.

It seems like halogen light either shows micro marring, or it doesen't. It seems like you have to view a panel at 90 degrees to see light reflecting from swirls with a halogen, whereas with florescents, the angle from which a swirl is/can viewed is more flexable.

But to answer your question directly, 1,000 watts is a lot brighter than 500 watts, thus allowing more defects to be seen easier.
I knew this might get complicated. :(

I'm a rookie polisher just trying to see defects in the paint. My car is silver making it even harder to see defects.

Any light is better than no light. Once you start looking for swirls & micro marring, you'll see what I mean by looking at certain angles. Go to a gas station at night, and you will notice quite a bit of swirls/micro marring on the horizontal panels in their light.

It's not really rocket science, it's just that there are a few variables.

just trying to see defects in the paint.

Install as many florescents in your garage that will fit overhead, and I think you'll be good to go. I have four footers @ 40 watts apiece :xyxthumbs:

Menards carries a light stand with 2 - 500W bulbs that can be adjusted up, down, side to side for $30 or so. I have one and it is great altho the original bulbs are a little "cheap" so you have to be careful during setup. I broke one of the bulbs and replaced it for $4 I think. Very happy with the result. Home Depot, on occassion, will have a similar light for a similar price but the Menard's version is $29.95 (or thereabouts) even without a sale. Can't beat it for hands free work and it gives off good heat if you live in a cold part of the country.

Martin

Back