PDA

View Full Version : Avoid scratching when using a QD?

WRAPT C5Z06
01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
I was thinking about it, and it seems to me there's NO way you can avoid marring/scratching the paint while QD'ing. There's just not enough lubrication when using QD's and a whole lot of friction, even with a light layer of dust. The only way to avoid scratching the paint would be to wash the car, or using a QD right after washing the car. Anyone else agree?

Matt S.
01-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Not exactly. A good QD will have adequate cleaning power to loosen dirt, and a good amount of lubricity to avoid scratching. The two keys, in my opinion, are 1. don't push it too far / know the limits of the QD. By this, I mean don't QD a car that has a clear layer of DIRT on it. Use it for light dust or spot removal (bugs, etc). 2. EASY on the pressure! Applying pressure, especially on soft paint will almost always cause marring. Let the QD do the work!

Just my .02...I've had great luck following these two simple "rules" of QDing. :)

mcpp66
01-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I was thinking about it, and it seems to me there's NO way you can avoid marring/scratching the paint while QD'ing. There's just not enough lubrication when using QD's and a whole lot of friction, even with a light layer of dust. The only way to avoid scratching the paint would be to wash the car, or using a QD right after washing the car. Anyone else agree?

Well, I guess when your putting a towel on your paint, even a MF towel, there's always a possibility of introducing scratches. However, if you use enough QD and are careful enough with the towel you really should be okay, especially if you're just using it to get dust off.

Old Tiger
01-13-2010, 08:14 PM
I just bought DP Waterless to use on anything more than mild contamination. This gives me peace of mind before applying QD. BTW I like FK425 and OID best of all QD's I have tried. I agree that the process is most important part of application.

Harleyguy
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
It's also inportant to use a really good MF and like others say don't use alot of pressure.I also work slow on my Qd turning the Mf offen folded into fourth's.

Wax Gorilla
01-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree with Harley Guy - I often use 2 MF 16 X 16 high quality towels folded in quarters on an average car that I know has a great coat of wax on it. Those two towels folded that way give me a total of 16 surfaces to use on the one vehicle. I will always start at the top of the vehicle and finish with the ares just to the rear of all 4 tires where often the worst form of contamination is.

jlb85
01-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Use high quality MF. Also, we only use plush type MF for QD and final wipes (including sealant removal). Further, QD is just that, a quickie. If the surface has more than "almost nothing", I'd rinse it down first.

But if Matt can keep his S2000 swirl free while QD'ing, anyone can! S2000's have some super soft clear, and require even more insane MF care than other cars (I'm still thinking about the White Ford Cobra that took 5 passes of Power Gloss and M105)...

AudiTTman
01-13-2010, 09:42 PM
Look into some 80/20 blend MF towels. Like matt stated, you want enough lub to keep from re-marring the surface and with a soft towel, chances of that happening are lowered. However, i have no clue how someone with an S2000 can keep it marring-free using QD hahah...you must be God's Detailing Child

Mike Phillips
01-13-2010, 10:12 PM
I was thinking about it, and it seems to me there's NO way you can avoid marring/scratching the paint while QD'ing.

Hi Mark,

This topic has been coming up ever since detailing forums have been around because after people get the paint on their project cars all polished up their next concern is how to keep it that way?

Lots of great comments so far and all I want to do is point out that sooner or later you have to 'touch' the paint somehow? Either by normal car washing, touch-less car washing, using a spray detailer, using a rinse-less wash, etc.

Whichever approach you choose to use, just do your best to use the best quality products you can obtain and the best technique you can muster.

When using a quick detailer, if you want to do the most you can do, then be sure to use plenty of microfibers, versus just a few, you could get extreme and after making a single wipe with one side of a folded microfiber, fold to a clean size and only use the the face of a folded microfiber a single time. This would insure you never rub particulates removed off one section over a new section.

Kind of like what I've been telling people about fixing rock chips with touch-up paint for years and that's you can make it as complicated as you like!

The other option isn't very practical and that's to park the car in the garage after it's all polished up, cover it gently and don't drive it.

:D

WRAPT C5Z06
01-14-2010, 12:05 AM
I think I will only use a QD as a drying aid after washing my car, this way I'll have some additional gloss and slickness instead of drying without it. Won't touch the car again until it's washed. As was stated, the less you touch the paint, the better. Makes sense! :dblthumb2:

SportEL
01-14-2010, 12:20 AM
To stay even safer, I would suggest Poorboys Spray and Wipe Waterless Wash (http://www.autogeek.net/pbsaw16.html)
for cleaning and then a Quick Detailer afterwards.

Lasthope05
01-14-2010, 04:21 AM
I lot of people here get confused with what light dust is VS dirt and to what a quick detailer can effectively clean. I think junkman touched on the topic extremely well in explaining what a quick detailer can and cannot clean.

Most members are using QD's on this type of dirt and wonder why they are getting scratches.

YouTube - Waterless Wash - Part 3.mpg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gVU4C_6wOE#t=7m40s)

dublifecrisis
01-14-2010, 07:26 AM
It took me a while to realize, but QD's aren't for maintaining that just washed look. There was a time where I would get my ride looking sweet, park it in the garage. Next day off to work - get home, park in the garage - QD the whole thing. Repeat this for 2-3 days? Yes, no doubt you're gonna get some marring.

There was just a thread (did you start it?) asking which QD had the most cleaning power. My first thought and my response-I don't like thinking of my QD's as having cleaning power. The reason is because I no longer use it to clean much.

forrest@mothers
01-14-2010, 08:32 AM
Instant Detailers have more lubricity than water does - try using clay with plain water versus the detailer as an example.

Quality microfiber towels, combined with a light spritz of a detailer, and no pressure are the ticket in my experience. If it takes more than 2 passes of the towel, you've used too much detailer.