PDA

View Full Version : Spray waxes

Pages : [1] 2

spike
04-20-2010, 06:12 AM
I was wondering, what other brands of spray waxes are out there (besides Optimum car wax) that are designed to be used as a stand-alone LSP that can last 4-5 months? As far as I can tell, the Optimum seems to be the only one that says it can be used as a stand-alone LSP. But, I'm hoping you can further educate me...

:)

ScottB
04-20-2010, 06:52 AM
The environment your in is different than my environment, and often the best environment in which a manufacturer makes their claim of length of protection. You might wanna look to a spray sealant if using alone and not very often, but I have not personally seen any spray wax or spray sealant work that long with just one coat.

sullysdetailing
04-20-2010, 07:33 AM
I believe they are the only ones Griot Garage Speed Shine last a couple days in FL. It is a great LSP booster

CTS-Veo
04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Duragloss Aquawax might not last that long (I haven't tested durability with it), but it goes on extremely easy, and beads/looks awesome. Just give it a quick spray after drying, and it's as easy to remove as any detail spray. Definately worth a look, if you want a stand alone spray product, but I don't think it will last that long without repeat applications...

ScottB
04-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Quick detail sprays, spray waxes and spray sealants provide instant shine and paint protection! Pinnacle Crystal Mist, Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz (http://www.autogeek.net/quickdetail.html) some here.

Paint Sealants like Klasse, Wolfang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/was.html) some in sealant area

Megs, Poorboys, Stoners and more make standalone products.

SouthernStyles
04-20-2010, 07:18 PM
How does the Pinnacle liquid solverern hold up? I have a few samples of it and love it but have yet to test its long run durability.

Rsurfer
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
How does the Pinnacle liquid solverern hold up? I have a few samples of it and love it but have yet to test its long run durability.
Nice liquid wax, but not a spray wax.

forrest@mothers
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Spray Waxes are more of a booster than a stand alone product.

They are made to complement a waxed finish, not replace waxing.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Spray Waxes are more of a booster than a stand alone product.

They are made to complement a waxed finish, not replace waxing.
Exactly what I was thinking. :props:

trhland
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
i only use pinnacle souveran spray wax!!!!. leaves that just waxed look. and offers some protection too,...:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
I tend to be on the careful side when selecting just the write words or wording to share information on public forums and I agree that most spray-on waxes are generally more of a "booster" or supplement coating to help maintain a car's finish in-between a "normal" application of a a real coating of either a paste or liquid wax, paint sealant or hybrid.

Back in 2003, I found myself in a thread where I needed a "word" to explain how a Meguiar's spray-on wax should be used because I came across a person that I think may have been using the Quik Wax incorrectly, she never replied back so I don't know.

Regardless, I took a few moments to explain the role of the Meguiar's spray-on waxes which is probably true for most spray-on waxes.

I did just get off the phone with David Ghodoussi, aka Dr. G from Optimum Products and confirmed with him that the Optimum Spray Wax is a dedicated or stand-alone wax, not a "booster" wax. It can be used in place of either a traditional paste or liquid/lotion type wax or paint sealant.

Anyway, here's the story behind the story about the word "booster" as it applies to most spray-on waxes and paint sealants...

Page 3 of Why DONT you use a product ? (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/23911-why-dont-you-use-product-3.html)

A forum member posted this,

I will also never use Meguiars Quik Wax again because it made a mess and was hard to remove. That's what I get for trying to take a shortcut to waxing.

I answered with this time stamped on, 07-03-03, 01:46

Hi Cindy,

Just for fun, when you used the Meguiar's Quik Wax...

Did your car already have a nice finish with a good "Base Coat" of wax?

Or,

Could your finish best be described as neglected and in need of a cleaning, polishing and waxing?

From your post, where you say,

That's what I get for trying to take a shortcut to waxing

It sounds like you may have tried to use the Quick Wax when what your car's finish really needed was a regular wax job, or perhaps even more, such as a good claying followed by a dedicated paint cleaner and then on to either polishing or waxing with a regular base-coat of a real wax type product?

You see the Quik Wax isn't a "Replacement" for a regular application of wax, it is more of a "Booster" for what you already have.

Recently, Meguiar's reformulated the Quik Wax and it is now my favorite product. I keep a bottle of it and Quik Detailer in by car with a couple of microfiber polishing cloths and whenever I take my wife shopping, instead of going into the store and doing something I don't like, (shopping), I stay with the truck and do something I enjoy. With these two products, I can 'quickly', clean and then wax my truck.

Just wondering why you had such a bad experience?

Mike

The story behind the story...
I don't know that I'm the guy that coined the term "booster" for use with a spray on wax as a way of explaining to people it's not a replacement for a normal coat of wax or paint sealant but that was my intention back then and I think after this post Marketing at Meguiar's used the term on the label at some point.

spike
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Thank you Mike! Wow, you even went as far as calling Dr. G at Optimum about this question. Thanks again for the wonderful service!! :dblthumb2:

So, looks like our conclusion is that Optimum car wax is the only spray wax that is designed to use as a stand-alone product, if I understand correctly. The others are mainly "booster" waxes. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Mike Phillips
04-21-2010, 01:51 PM
So, looks like our conclusion is that Optimum car wax is the only spray wax that is designed to use as a stand-alone product, if I understand correctly. The others are mainly "booster" waxes. Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Actually I never said there were no other spray on waxes that were stand-alone or dedicated waxes, fact is I don't know, I would have to do the research.

I believe there are both types and other companies offer dedicated spray on waxes or sealants or hybrids, I just haven't compiled a list of who does and who doesn't.

I 'think" that most products in this category are of the "booster" type products, that is they can be used in-between an "normal" application of the real deal.

Also just to note, a spray-on wax or sealant is not a replacement for a spray detailer. Spray detailers are for removing,

Light dust
Fingerprints
Smudges
Sometimes as a clay lube

Spray-on waxes and paint sealants need to be used on a surface that is either washed and dried, or wiped clean with a spray detailer.

2 very different types of products.

spike
04-21-2010, 02:11 PM
Actually I never said there were no other spray on waxes that were stand-alone or dedicated waxes, fact is I don't know, I would have to do the research. :)

I didn't mean to come to such a harsh conclusion so soon, and I know that you didn't say that Optimum was the only one. Didn't mean to imply that... Sorry!!

Old Tiger
04-21-2010, 03:17 PM
IME Four Star Spray Wax also can be stand-alone.. I like it better than OCW!