PDA

View Full Version : Carpet and Leather Cleaning Product Recommendations

RRocket
05-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I use Leatherique 1-2 a year for a very thorough cleaning of my leather. But what can you guys recommend in between these major cleanings? I have used Lexol...but I'm not terribly fond of it. Is there anything better that does a good job at cleaning/conditioning without being as extensive as a Leatherique treatment?

And carpets and upholstery? I want something that will get out dirt and stains on light coloured carpets (tan). I will NOT be using a hot water extractor since I don't own one. Besides, I'm not a professional detailer, just a car nut/hobbyist.

Munich77
05-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Folex and a wet/dry vac should work. What is popular too is the Bissell Little Green Machine (it is like less than $100). I have a Eureka model that I bought for like 40 bucks. For floor mats I just use folex and a brush. I wash the mats out and let them air dry,

Jenn1270
05-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I like the 1Z products for my coated leather. There is a nice thread about it.

As for carpet, I just cleaned my husband's badly stained with grease front carpets. I wound up having to use Zep degreaser, but products like Stoners, DP, Folex, and even chem dry make great carpet cleaning products and some are quite inexpensive. Others just use plain on APC+ with a scrub brush, a good spray with the hose, a good vacuum with the wet/dry shop vac and then let finish drying. I know this may be heresy, but the OTC cleaners are much cheaper and more available than stuff you can only get online. Most can be found at the HD or Lowe's

Jenn

Showroom Shine
05-10-2010, 06:21 AM
I have a Aztec Heated Extractor that I don't always use. It's because of the high quality products available. Dp Extractor,Lifter 1,DWG Green, Folex and the various other carpet cleaners.There are numerous products that make the job alot easier.

RRocket
05-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I like the 1Z products for my coated leather. There is a nice thread about it.

Jenn

Link??

ScottB
05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
1Z Einszett Leathercare indeed ....

1Z Einszett Leather Care (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-leather-care.html)

Mike Phillips
05-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I use Leatherique 1-2 a year for a very thorough cleaning of my leather. But what can you guys recommend in between these major cleanings? I have used Lexol...but I'm not terribly fond of it. Is there anything better that does a good job at cleaning/conditioning without being as extensive as a Leatherique treatment?

For in-between the thorough cleanings...

Pinnacle Leather Cleaner & Conditioner (http://www.autogeek.net/pileclco.html)

[QUOTE=RRocket;315444]
And carpets and upholstery? I want something that will get out dirt and stains on light coloured carpets (tan). I will NOT be using a hot water extractor since I don't own one. Besides, I'm not a professional detailer, just a car nut/hobbyist.

Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery Restorer (http://www.autogeek.net/wg5200.html)

Most important thing you can do is to vacuum first to remove loose dirt. Brush the carpet and the vacuum again. The goal is to remove as much dirt as possible by lifting it out of the carpet. Then use a liquid cleaning agent.

Directions:

Vacuum the carpet to remove any loose dirt.
Spray Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner across surface, concentrating on any stubborn stains.
Allow to penetrate for 20-30 seconds. Agitate gently with a brush.
Wipe dry with a cotton terry cloth towel or microfiber towel.
When completely dry, vacuum the area again to remove dirt particles that were loosened by the cleaner.

:)

molarman
05-12-2010, 09:06 AM
what is recommended for perforated leather seats, so as to avoid clogging up the tiny holes on ventilated seats in newer cars?

Irish
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
what is recommended for perforated leather seats, so as to avoid clogging up the tiny holes on ventilated seats in newer cars?

As far as application I'd avoid putting the product directly on the leather itself. Put your product of choice on a MF applicator pad, working it into the pad a bit, then apply to the leather. You use a bit more product but huge blobs inside the perforations shouldn't happen.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Leather Cleaner = Wolfgang Leather Cleaner

Leather Conditioner = Optimum leather protectant

I use this combo and it's excellent.

For light cleaning and good conditioning you can use Optimum leather protectant by itself. :xyxthumbs:

Lasthope05
05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
For a really good and readily available carpet cleaner is Zep High Traffic Carpet Cleaner at your local homedepot. It works really good, smells nice, and for $10 it's really affordable. While your there also grab a bottle of Folex for trouble some stains and spots.

For leather, a good light cleaner that works really well is just APC+ at 15:1. After cleaning, give the leather seats another wipe down with just a clean damp towel to remove any leftover chemical residue (very important step.) Finish with a good protectant such as Opt protectant plus(same as leather protectant) or 303 Aerospace Protectant