Sur buf Pads,, how long do they last?

bodavenport

Reaction score
What kind of longevity are people getting out of the sur buf pads esp. the 5.5 size. I am considering ordering about 4 or so this afternoon

What kind of longevity are people getting out of the sur buf pads esp. the 5.5 size. I am considering ordering about 4 or so this afternoon

That depends ? I have heard they last only a few cars. I have used the 6.5 pads twice, and I don't think it will last after used again.
So I would say anywhere from 1-3 cars. Depending on size

I have used them on a lot of cars and found that if you use them solely on flat panels then they last a lot longer. Once you start buffing over emblems and trim pieces or any hard lines in the body they start to separate (microfingers from the foam). Give them a try and see how you like them. Just remember to re fluff the fibers with a pad brush after every pass. They may seem like a pain now, but once you see the results you will never look to foam again.

They are just for the "heavy stuff" right? You still have to come back with a foam and a finishing polish.

Yes, you still need to come back with foam and polish. On most paints, 205 and white finishes off pretty well. I have found a new obsession in true finishing polishes like 85rd and Ultrafina and will turn to these, for a four step, if the customer is paying a lot. Most of the time after using surbuf and 105, I will go to white with 85u and come out with stellar results. Give them a try though. It is worth the 12 dollars for two.

Sorry for wording it the way I did. I should have said I'll never look for a foam pad with to do a heavy correction job.

What I've noticed, if you brush them after every pass and use *very little pressure* they will last for awhile and not lose shape. Moderate to heavy pressure will warp the pad and "melt" the middle of the pad, at least with my Flex 3401. These pads are not meant to be used with pressure.

How would these compare to an LC Yellow?

Apples and oranges.....seriously.

The ONLY place I will use a yellow is around edges and emblems to save my Surbuf pads. Yes it will take me between three and six passes more than if I were using Surbuf, but the Surbuf pads make up that time on the flat panels.

Edit: I started with a flat yellow and 105 on the trunk of this car. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...nchburg-va-black-2008-mercedes-benz-s550.html

It took me six passes to get the correction of one with a Surbuf. The only reason I was using yellow was because all of my other Surbuf's were on there way out....

Lesson learned: ALWAYS have some new Surbuf's sitting around.

Surbuf is in a class of it's own in terms of correction power on severely neglected/oxidized/damaged paint in comparison to any foam or even wool pad on the market right now.

Use only a little bit of pressure, about half or less product than you normally would use with a foam pad and clean them after every single pass with a foam pad-cleaning brush to keep the micro-fingers fluffed and working properly.

I have a pretty good tutorial in this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...nchburg-va-black-2008-mercedes-benz-s550.html

It explains in decent detail how to use them properly and I have been requested to make a video and post it to help those who are better at seeing how to use them than just reading how to use them. I'll get that video made with Jonathan as soon as I get the chance.

Like Jonathan said above, you'll get more use out of them if you only use them on flat panels and use foam on edges or smaller panels. I'd say you can get 5-6 cars out of each of them if you're mindful of caring for them properly. Use them improperly and you'll get 1-3 cars.

Back