How can a wax/sealant mute metallic flakes?

Sure, some waxes/sealants darken the look of paint. There's also a trade off in optical clarity vs (whatever) in some sealants/waxes.

If you want your silver paint on your Z06 to pop with that flake, I advise you to try Zaino Z2Pro.

Sure, some waxes/sealants darken the look of paint. There's also a trade off in optical clarity vs (whatever) in some sealants/waxes.

If you want your silver paint on your Z06 to pop with that flake, I advise you to try Zaino Z2Pro.
Z2 pro pretty durable?

Z2 pro pretty durable?

5-6 months on average is what I see with it. It's consistently reviewed as one of the longest lasting sealants on the market. Get yourself some Z2Pro, ZAIO, Z7 and some Z8 at a bare minimum.

You could skip ZAIO if you choose to use ZFX. Whichever you prefer there or if you want to put on more than one layer of Z2P in a day, gotta have the ZFX.

What did you put on the car that 'muted' the flake?

What did you put on the car that 'muted' the flake?
I haven't used anything to my eyes that muted the flake. I've just read about people using products that mute flakes, so I was just wondering.

So far the only Wax/Sealant that muted flakes was M16. It made the color darker and metallic flakes weren't very noticeable. It kind of looked as if there was a glossy tint on the paint.

So far the only Wax/Sealant that muted flakes was M16. It made the color darker and metallic flakes weren't very noticeable. It kind of looked as if there was a glossy tint on the paint.
That's a situation that makes sense to me.

No product IMO sets out to intentionally mute or hamper the look of good clean paint. However in this day and age lots of new polymers and technology is present that can enhance or seemingly increase metallics and light paints a bit. I really dont think its a fair comment maybe it should be expressed as not boosting the metallic count.

No product IMO sets out to intentionally mute or hamper the look of good clean paint. However in this day and age lots of new polymers and technology is present that can enhance or seemingly increase metallics and light paints a bit. I really dont think its a fair comment maybe it should be expressed as not boosting the metallic count.
I agree Scott. Maybe some BOOST the metallic flake better than others, but I don't see how any wax can make them look WORSE. :props:

The wax/sealant is not touching the base coat (metal flakes) so, the wax/sealant is blocking the clarity of the clear in essence making the flakes appear muted. When someone says that the wax/sealant is making the flakes pop, it tells me that the clear coat is polished and clear.

The wax/sealant is not touching the base coat (metal flakes) so, the wax/sealant is blocking the clarity of the clear in essence making the flakes appear muted. When someone says that the wax/sealant is making the flakes pop, it tells me that the clear coat is polished and clear.
So are you saying if a car is properly prepped, *no* wax or sealant will mute flakes?

So are you saying if a car is properly prepped, *no* wax or sealant will mute flakes?
Quite the opposite, the wax/sealant can make all the difference by muting (darkening) the clear or make it pop by giving the clear more clarity.

Quite the opposite, the wax/sealant can make all the difference by muting (darkening) the clear or make it pop by giving the clear more clarity.

Could this be from the oils used in some waxes?

Here is a great example of the darkening affect of Souveran paste wax. Both sides of the car were polished and finished exactly the same. The only difference is the LSP. Souveran Paste on the left and Supernatural on the right..

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

Tad, how do you like the supernatural?

I didn't care to much for it (sorry Louie, I know it's one of your favorite waxes). I really thought it was much harder to apply then other waxes and sweated (really noticable on flat black) for a few days. Removal was easy, protection seems good, and once it quit sweating it looks great. Just to be fair it was the only time I ever used it and I am sure I applied it to thick. I am used to using Souveran which goes on SO easy and is very forgiving...

Back