PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar

Pages : [1] 2 3

chief
10-04-2010, 05:33 PM
If you detail a vehicle with WG 3.0 paint sealant and then carnauba wax, after a while the carnauba will wear off before the paint sealant. Say in about a month and a half you decide to apply a new, additional layer of carnauba over the paint sealant to prolong the life of the paint sealant before you have to detail the car from scratch. Prior to putting a fresh layer of carnauba wax, it would be a good idea to remove any contaminants from the paint surface to prevent swirl marks and scratches.

If you clay the vehicle, is it going to take old remains of carnauba off? Also, will the paint sealant be affected by claying?

Shade Tree
10-04-2010, 05:36 PM
If you detail a vehicle with WG 3.0 paint sealant and then carnauba wax, after a while the carnauba will wear off before the paint sealant. Say in about a month and a half you decide to apply a new, additional layer of carnauba over the paint sealant to prolong the life of the paint sealant before you have to detail the car from scratch. Prior to putting a fresh layer of carnauba wax, it would be a good idea to remove any contaminants from the paint surface to prevent swirl marks and scratches.

If you clay the vehicle, is it going to take old remains of carnauba off? Also, will the paint sealant be affected by claying?

It depends on the grade of clay you're using as to whether you'll remove the sealant in the process. As a rule of thumb it is always best to reapply sealant or wax after a clay bar treatment.

In short yes, the carnauba will most likely be removed as it isn't meant as a long lasting treatment for paint. The sealant may have some remnants, but plan on some being removed as well.

chief
10-04-2010, 05:54 PM
What would be the correct way to apply a new layer of wax over a still good paint sealant (month 1/2 old) without scratching the paint with micro particles.

Shade Tree
10-04-2010, 05:58 PM
What would be the correct way to apply a new layer of wax over a still good paint sealant (month 1/2 old) without scratching the paint with micro particles.

A proper 2 bucket wash method, dry and reapply the wax. If you ever want to strip the sealant off & start fresh then using Dawn dish soap works as a great paint cleanser to do so.

If you're applying wax over a coat a month and a half old then most likely there isn't that much of the carnauba left anyway. That would be true if you're using a mediocre wax rather than a high quality.

chief
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Thanks for your help,
Will Klasse AIO strip all the paint sealant as well?

What about "quick detailer" sealant such as WG spritz detailer sealant or DP final gloss. Can either of these products be applied over a layer of Carnauba wax?

Shade Tree
10-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for your help,
Will Klasse AIO strip all the paint sealant as well?

What about "quick detailer" sealant such as WG spritz detailer sealant or DP final gloss. Can either of these products be applied over a layer of Carnauba wax?

No worries .......

Yes, Klasse AIO is a cleaner/prewax and contains mild abrasives and woulld remove any protection the paint currently has.

The products you mention may be used over the carnauba, however with each application the carnauba will begin to weaken. These QD products are meant as a temporary cleaner/gloss enhancer and have very little protection qualities. In other words, after a wash ...... go for it. Otherwise, apply a carnauba once a month to keep things fresh.

I typically wax my BMW 2-3 times per week & polish once per month ...... OCD sucks. :props:

ScottB
10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
most clays will remove all of most 'nuba waxes and some/all of a sealant. They are abrasive .. well most, but you can get a lighter clay like Pinnacles Ultra (green).

Shade Tree
10-04-2010, 06:20 PM
most clays will remove all of most 'nuba waxes and some/all of a sealant. They are abrasive .. well most, but you can get a lighter clay like Pinnacles Ultra (green).

Didn't I just say that?? :iagree:

Kurt_s
10-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I agree with Shade Tree.

Wash your car and apply another layer of wax if the wax is only 2 weeks old. You don't have to clay every time you wax. I don't normally need to clay my car more than 2x-3x per year, but my cars are garaged DDs and washed 1x per week. Plus we don't see a lot of rain.

Try the baggie test to see if you need to clay before adding another layer of wax. If you put your hand into a plastic baggie and gently move your hand across the paint, it should feel glass smooth even after a couple months if you keep it clean. The sealants and waxes are there to protect your paint and help keep fallout from sticking with proper car washing.

I used a carnauba paste wax for many years (still use it occasionally) where the owners told me to wait 48 hours between layers. One week between coats was fine as it allowed the wax to fully cure. A little trick that I was taught to minimize swirls with paste wax. I was told to apply the first coat linearly from front to back (no circles). The second coat should be applied perpendicular to the first coat (again no circles)

chief
10-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Ok, another clay bar question.

I used WG 3.0 paint sealant with a coat of carnauba wax on top about a month ago. Today, I decided to put a new coat of carnauba wax on this car.

This car is a daily driver and is never garaged. It is always exposed to the road and weather elements. After washing the car, the paint was smooth, but not super smooth as one would expect. I decided to clay a little area and see how it turned out. My white clay bar was all yellow!!! So, I clayed the rest of the vehicle and put a new layer of 'nuba wax.

I've heard people say you shouldn't use clay more than 3-4 times a year. Is using clay bad for the paint or clear coat? what about paint sealant?

If the car gets so contaminated after a month on the road, would it be better to clay it every time before applying new layer of carnauba wax or should I just forget applying carnauba wax and wait 3-4 months before claying, polishing and reapplying paint sealant?

artofdetailing
10-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Heres a trick for everybody... after washing the car (while it is still wet spray either a quick detailer or clay lube) run the pinnacle poly clay over the entire car. It is not an aggressive clay and can be used often. Then rinse the car off and dry with the guzzler...

Dubbin1
10-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Plus the Pinnacle clay is BOGO now ;)

toxygene
10-08-2010, 02:26 PM
No worries .......

Yes, Klasse AIO is a cleaner/prewax and contains mild abrasives and woulld remove any protection the paint currently has.

The products you mention may be used over the carnauba, however with each application the carnauba will begin to weaken. These QD products are meant as a temporary cleaner/gloss enhancer and have very little protection qualities. In other words, after a wash ...... go for it. Otherwise, apply a carnauba once a month to keep things fresh.

I typically wax my BMW 2-3 times per week & polish once per month ...... OCD sucks. :props:

According to the description on AG, KAIO contains no abrasives, but it is supposed to remove old wax. I assume it must do so chemically.

And you really polish your car once per month? Is that a good idea?

artofdetailing
10-08-2010, 02:31 PM
you can polish your car once a month for sure but you have to use a final polish like nano...
and i use the nano with a green pad...

Dubbin1
10-08-2010, 02:50 PM
According to the description on AG, KAIO contains no abrasives, but it is supposed to remove old wax. I assume it must do so chemically.

Klasse All In One Polish will remove oxidation, minor swirls, old wax, and other surface blemishes

It must have some kind of abrasives in it to do what they claim above ;) As a matter of fact I just tested some the other day and it did remove minor swirls.