Your opion please...

cutter

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing a sealant over my paint, will waxing afterward add rewards to the final finish, or will it be a wasted step?

P.S. Looks as if the weather is clearing up in Sweet Home Alabama!!! Great two days ahead!!!:xyxthumbs:

I prefer a sealant after polishing. My favorite sealant to date is Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant. Several manufacturers make some very nice sealants and the ones I've listed below I have used with success.

Sealants

Menzerna Power Lock Paint Sealant

Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Paint Sealant, Menzerna auto sealant, car sealant, paint sealant protectant

Other quality sealants

• Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant
  • Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze
  • DP Poli-Coat Paint Sealant
With all the sealants I use I let the application cure over night in a dry garage for about 12 hours or more then apply a cost of my favorite wax. This not only adds depth but also additional protection.

Great question and you'll find as many answers as there are people...

Most people do one of the below after all their prep work is done,

• Do a really good job of applying a single application of a wax or paint sealant
  • Do a really good job of applying two applications of either a wax or a paint sealant
  • Do a really good job of applying a paint sealant first and then a wax second
I'm sure there are variations to this like using a cleaner/wax first and then applying a finishing wax so the sky's the limit.

I wrote an article on MOL in 2004 called,

Topping NXT aka "How to top one type of wax with a different type of wax

But basically you can substitute the "name" of any product you want to start with and all the same principles apply...

I would post it over here but technically I would have to re-write it and I find it really hard to plagiarize myself.

Here's a modified excerpt...

Mike Phillips said:
If you think you would like to apply a topper over ANY BRAND OF WAX, before you apply your choice of a topper over the entire finish, first do a side-by-side comparison and inspect your results carefully to insure that the test area does in fact look better than ANY BRAND OF WAX by itself before applying your choice of topper to the entire finish.

Think about it...
If you apply your choice of a topper to the entire car without comparing, you will never know if it improved or diminished the results created by the NXT alone.

What are you working on?

:)

I'm working on my 2005 Suzuki Boulevard C90...I have a good carnuba wax on it now....but I'm always thinking...Man, what if I did this or that!!!

I'm interested in doing a sealant over my paint, will waxing afterward add rewards to the final finish, or will it be a wasted step?

P.S. Looks as if the weather is clearing up in Sweet Home Alabama!!! Great two days ahead!!!:xyxthumbs:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Experiment, whether the perceived improvement is worth the effort/cost is up to you.

Thank you for your responses...I'll never know till I try it I guess.

It's just a matter of preference. Some people prefer the look of wax over sealant. I personally like the look of a sealant.

i always wondered the same. since i had time this week, i went for it. i applied collinite 845 wax over DP poli sealant. now the DP alone provided a great looking finish! it contains a light polish. put the 845 on by hand and was blown away with the result. it now has a deep looking wet pool effect! and a bonus is the durability of 845. i have read to expect 5-8 months of protection.

I went with the "Forum Kit" - Klasse AIO + Klasse Sealant Glaze topped with Pinnacle Souveran wax. It is awesome! I did a sequential test, where I used one of the products by itself first, looking very carefully at the results before going to the next one.

I've washed my vehicle with Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo about six times in the last two months since the first application, using the Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnuba Detail Spray after every wash. The Pinnacle wax is still there 100%. Looks just like when I first put it on. Great stuff :xyxthumbs:!

Best,

Jose

Back