PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection

slickooz
03-12-2011, 09:12 AM
I have a neighbor who just bought a brand new TL, and he asked me what is the paint protection they offer at Acura and if it is worth it. He told they wanted 700 dollar, does anyone have any info about this?

A4 1.8tqm
03-12-2011, 09:46 AM
No, it is not worth it. From what I understand it's just a sealant and is really a paint "insurance plan". The vast majority of the public who buy's it will never return to the dealer with "paint problems" and if they do the dealer will just reapply. They are just trying to make a quick buck, a sucker is born every minute.

He'd be better of spending half of the $700 on detail products here, getting all kinds of great stuff and keeping the rest. OR spending the money slowly and paying you maintain his paint.

dad07
03-12-2011, 10:00 AM
No, it is not worth it. From what I understand it's just a sealant and is really a paint "insurance plan". The vast majority of the public who buy's it will never return to the dealer with "paint problems" and if they do the dealer will just reapply. They are just trying to make a quick buck, a sucker is born every minute.

He'd be better of spending half of the $700 on detail products here, getting all kinds of great stuff and keeping the rest. OR spending the money slowly and paying you maintain his paint.

:iagree:

ScottB
03-12-2011, 03:02 PM
save the $$ .... its no more benefit that most will find using a good paint sealant twice a year.

Rayaz
03-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Offer to seal his car for $350! Seriously, the stuff the dealer puts on for $700 is actually another profit center for them. Just like document fees.

Kristopher1129
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I know around me, they offer some stuff called Resist All. I had a customer bring some to my shop one time. She demanded I use her Resist All products, instead of mine. After investigating the Resist All, and trying a few products...I opted to just use my stuff, and tell her I used hers. She was more than happy with the results...and she thought it was because of her $700 products, ha.

So no, it's a waste of money. I thought the stuff looked cheap actually. That's why I decided to stick with my stuff. Plus, all the Resist All products were in little bottles with push button sprayers. Not my style! lol

C. Charles Hahn
03-12-2011, 06:22 PM
I know around me, they offer some stuff called Resist All. I had a customer bring some to my shop one time. She demanded I use her Resist All products, instead of mine. After investigating the Resist All, and trying a few products...I opted to just use my stuff, and tell her I used hers. She was more than happy with the results...and she thought it was because of her $700 products, ha.

So no, it's a waste of money. I thought the stuff looked cheap actually. That's why I decided to stick with my stuff. Plus, all the Resist All products were in little bottles with push button sprayers. Not my style! lol

Personally I wouldn't have done that -- I'd have turned away the work. You actually did her a disservice by letting her believe her stuff is what made her car look good.

A4 1.8tqm
03-12-2011, 06:57 PM

My buddy bought a Resist All kit, a little black bag with (I think) 6 bottles. I wasn't impressed.

jslym777
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
could it possibly be that protective clear mask they put over the body? I know lots of places are doing this now on rocker panels and front bumpers/fenders. That is a 700 dollar job and definitely protects the paint better than any sealant

ExoticAutoDetai
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
I also had a customer who bought me his Benz and gave me a baggie with a bunch of crap Mercedes sells to maintain the car and I told him straight up that doesn't work and showed him why and at the end everyone was happy.:)

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

ExoticAutoDetai
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
could it possibly be that protective clear mask they put over the body? I know lots of places are doing this now on rocker panels and front bumpers/fenders. That is a 700 dollar job and definitely protects the paint better than any sealant

You mean clear bra?

Exotic Auto Detail via tapatalk

Kristopher1129
03-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Personally I wouldn't have done that -- I'd have turned away the work. You actually did her a disservice by letting her believe her stuff is what made her car look good.

Yeah I thought of that too. Problem was, I had already agreed to do it her way. Then when I started getting into it...I just really didn't care for the product. At that point it was already in the shop, already being worked on...so I just went with my stuff. Rather than tell her and have a possible argument, I just shutup. I had 3 other vehicles to finish. So I just kept quiet and moved on. She was more than happy with the outcome. That's all I cared about.

Believe me, in the future...I will be turning that option down. I've never had that happen other than that one time...hopefully not again.