PDA

View Full Version : OCW users

mattkrmp80
03-29-2011, 02:19 PM
I have used OCW and it makes the car look pretty good in my opinion doesn’t seem like it lasts very long though and it doesn’t seem to leave the finish that slick either just comparing to other spray waxes I have used.
I am one who believes in almost never touching the paint only when I dry don’t have much choice there.
For those of you who use it on 1x or 2x a week or 1x a month: How do you weigh the benefits of the spray wax vs. the downside of using in such frequency i.e. chances of scratching or micro marring when speeding /wiping off OCW??
How many use OCW as their LSP?
Many seem to say it work good as a topper but I thought you could use it as a standalone LSP?
Has anyone applied OCW to a wet car and dried it kind of like Aqua Wax?

WRAPT C5Z06
03-29-2011, 02:26 PM
I have used OCW and it makes the car look pretty good in my opinion doesn’t seem like it lasts very long though and it doesn’t seem to leave the finish that slick either just comparing to other spray waxes I have used.
I am one who believes in almost never touching the paint only when I dry don’t have much choice there.
For those of you who use it on 1x or 2x a week or 1x a month: How do you weigh the benefits of the spray wax vs. the downside of using in such frequency i.e. chances of scratching or micro marring when speeding /wiping off OCW??
Many seem to say it work good as a topper but I thought you could use it as a standalone LSP?
I've gotten 3 months from OCW by itself. Are you prepping the surface correctly? I would not use OCW as a drying aid like AquaWax.

mattkrmp80
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
:bump:

G37
03-29-2011, 04:11 PM
What makes you think it doesnt last long gloss and pop deminish after first wash beading about a few car washes and I agree slickness is not very good but you can use OID for slickness.
I also agree with touching the finish the least possible to avoid micro scratching the finish which is easier said than done.
I rather not use OCW as an LSP my innitial results are not to my liking. I will try OS topped with OCW.
I dont think you can use OCW on a wet car might streak but I do hope Optimum comes out with a car wax that can be applied to a wet car kind of like merging of OID and OCW...

sal329
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I get 2-3 months with OCW. If washing with ONR or similar after your first drying pass with first towel you can spray OCW and then final drying pass with a second towel

Bunky
03-29-2011, 07:42 PM
It has doing well for over over 8 weeks for me. It still beads nicely on the upper surfaces but may have some issues on the very lowest sections but need to recheck when I wash the next time.

evojoey
03-29-2011, 07:50 PM
If the surface is prepped properly the slickness of OCW is on par with almost any other lsp..I usually apply it to my car after every other wash if the surface is clean and you use a quality microfiber towel the risk of any marring is low...I wouldn't use it as a drying aid on a wet car though I usually use opti clean or ONR at detail spray strength for that .

G37
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
If the surface is prepped properly the slickness of OCW is on par with almost any other lsp..I usually apply it to my car after every other wash if the surface is clean and you use a quality microfiber towel the risk of any marring is low...I wouldn't use it as a drying aid on a wet car though I usually use opti clean or ONR at detail spray strength for that .

I use OID as a drying aid but have been wondering if I could use Opti clean as a drying aid instead just in case I missed a spot and for added lubrication but can you use Opti clean on a wet surface?

builthatch
03-30-2011, 12:55 AM
If the surface is prepped properly the slickness of OCW is on par with almost any other lsp

this. i agree with this 100%.

and as far as longevity...prep is one thing, treatment and environment/exposure are another.

it is so easy to use, i end up applying it to my daily driver about once a month, post-drying. it would last longer, i'm sure, but there is no reason not to use it semi-frequently. at the minimum i am stacking applications a bit, which can't hurt. it is relatively cheap and a little goes a LONG way.

incidently, in-between i'm using OID when drying and here and there i use Opti-Clean and/or old formula No Rinse at 31:1 for dusting duties.

I use OID as a drying aid but have been wondering if I could use Opti clean as a drying aid instead just in case I missed a spot and for added lubrication but can you use Opti clean on a wet surface?

no need, really. Optimum Instant Detailer will cover you if for some odd reason you barely missed a spot or something while washing, and its slickness/gloss is unparalled IMO. OID is like a really "light" version of Opti-Clean in that it has many polymers and lubricants to help buffer your wiping when it comes to light light dirt/dust. doesn't seem nearly as "safe" as No Rinse quick detailer dilution strength or Opti-Clean, but it is just fine for light stuff and of course ideal for drying.

Opti-Clean is a really nice product for the waterless wash/gen purpose fine surface cleaner, but it doesn't offer the slickness and gloss that OID does.

for what it is worth, i use OID at 4:1 with distilled water, not the recommended 3:1. same effect using less product and way less propensity toward streaking.

Rsurfer
03-30-2011, 01:06 AM
I don't see why not, since it's a waterless wash that has a lot of polymers.

G37
03-30-2011, 10:43 AM
this. i agree with this 100%.

and as far as longevity...prep is one thing, treatment and environment/exposure are another.

it is so easy to use, i end up applying it to my daily driver about once a month, post-drying. it would last longer, i'm sure, but there is no reason not to use it semi-frequently. at the minimum i am stacking applications a bit, which can't hurt. it is relatively cheap and a little goes a LONG way.

incidently, in-between i'm using OID when drying and here and there i use Opti-Clean and/or old formula No Rinse at 31:1 for dusting duties.

no need, really. Optimum Instant Detailer will cover you if for some odd reason you barely missed a spot or something while washing, and its slickness/gloss is unparalled IMO. OID is like a really "light" version of Opti-Clean in that it has many polymers and lubricants to help buffer your wiping when it comes to light light dirt/dust. doesn't seem nearly as "safe" as No Rinse quick detailer dilution strength or Opti-Clean, but it is just fine for light stuff and of course ideal for drying.

Opti-Clean is a really nice product for the waterless wash/gen purpose fine surface cleaner, but it doesn't offer the slickness and gloss that OID does.

for what it is worth, i use OID at 4:1 with distilled water, not the recommended 3:1. same effect using less product and way less propensity toward streaking.
Thanks for the help.
I use OID 4:1 as a drying aid too and carry OOC in the trunk for bird droppings and bugs.

After I wash my wheels really well and begin to dry them there is always a little amount of brake dust on my wheel MF towel after I am done drying the wheels...I spray OID on the wet wheels before drying should I spray OOC instead?

builthatch
03-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the help.
I use OID 4:1 as a drying aid too and carry OOC in the trunk for bird droppings and bugs.

After I wash my wheels really well and begin to dry them there is always a little amount of brake dust on my wheel MF towel after I am done drying the wheels...I spray OID on the wet wheels before drying should I spray OOC instead?

np. you do exactly what i do with that assortment.

is this after a no rinse wash or a regular wash? just trying to gauge how much brake dust we are talking, hehe. but anyway...if i were in that position i'd probably still use OID if they were OE wheels. if they were some sort of high end aftermarket wheel with big/and or polished lips (horizontal surfaces) or something, i'd be a little more concerned but not much, and might consider OOC. the concern probably wouldn't be enough for me to bother switching bottles, and i'm pretty darn anal. you aren't grinding the tiny tiny bit of remaining dust into the finish, and i feel either one would provide ample lube to protect the VERY durable finish of wheels while drying.

G37
03-30-2011, 11:59 AM
builthatch, Thanks again..

I know proper prep must be taken before applying wax/sealant such as claying,polishing etc. but as you apply additional coats of OCW other than a thorough wash what prep do you do before OCW?

builthatch
03-30-2011, 01:11 PM
builthatch, Thanks again..

I know proper prep must be taken before applying wax/sealant such as claying,polishing etc. but as you apply additional coats of OCW other than a thorough wash what prep do you do before OCW?

nothing, just the wash. i pay special attention to prep surfaces before opti-seal like you said, but OCW is an usually a sealant upkeep thing for me. it seems to work fine for that. and OID then is the booster for the OCW.

it goes something like this, for whatever it is worth-

full detail once or twice a year - wash, clay, buffing, IPA, opti-seal coats
OCW about once a month, maybe 1.5 months
OID while drying whenever i wash in-between months