Will a Straight 6 Ford F150 Pull Everything Ok?

ShineTimeDetail

Reaction score
I'm looking at new vehicles for my mobile detailing. I'm looking at astro vans but I can find a older F150 for less money. I found a short bed Ford with a Inline 6 I am wondering if it will pull my 100 gal tank, my 5k generator, my 13 hp Pressure washer, a 33 gallon compressor & all my chemicals etc. What do you think?

I'm real upset I passed up a super clean v8 no rust black 92 F150 on sat. I looked at it drove it and left. (I'm and impulsive buyer) This was the first time I've ever walked a way with out buying something I thought was a good deal. I went and detailed the interior of a car and while I was the guy called and said someone was coming by in an hour. I figured well if it sells it sells. 45 min later I said I can't let this slide through my fingers so I called and the guy was already there. 2 min later he called back and said the guy just bought it. I was mad!!

You would be fine, i always got worst fuel milage in the 4.9l staight 6s. the gearing making the engine run a littler faster, working it harder will cause you to burn more fuel.

The straight 6 is a great motor though, They are damn near bullet proof from my experience.

Thats always what I heard, although this one is rebuilt lol What kind of mileage do you think I'd get. I'd prob just keep my 4x6 trailer and get a tonue cover to but my supplies in the bed.

Yeah, they are torque monsters. Will tow just fine. As posted above, the fuel mileage won't be great, but I don't think you will expect to be towing some weight.

My 91 F150 straight 6 will pull a train. It's unbelievable. The mileage sucks though. Without towing, I'm around 13 at best. Towing it's around 10.

its an auto...I'm hesitant to get a stick...not sure about a stick and a trailer lol....and back up on top of that.

My GMC Safari, fully loaded acts as if it is empty. I worked for a landscaper and pulled a long trailer with a skid loader and 10 yards of tanbark with no problem with a 300 cid. straight 6 F-150 and 4 speed manual transmission. An automatic transmission will rob some of the torque but you could stack detailing equipment 16 feet high in the back and there would still be no problem pulling it.

I had a wo-worker who had a 1999 Dodge Durango V8, and never really cared for what it averaged...but when fuel gone up again, he calculated he was getting 12.3 MPG on that sucker, which cost him $5k in fuel a year...he got pissed and got rid of it...now he is driving a little Hyundai that costs $2200 a year to fill up...
With that said, why not get a Ford Diesel truck?

I had a wo-worker who had a 1999 Dodge Durango V8, and never really cared for what it averaged...but when fuel gone up again, he calculated he was getting 12.3 MPG on that sucker, which cost him $5k in fuel a year...he got pissed and got rid of it...now he is driving a little Hyundai that costs $2200 a year to fill up...
With that said, why not get a Ford Diesel truck?

So you mean to tell me a little Hyundai will pull 2500 lbs of stuff?

My brother has a 91 f150 with the straight 6 and it's a stick but he gets at least 15mpg with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you mean to tell me a little Hyundai will pull 2500 lbs of stuff?
No, to tow you need a truck REGARDLESS of what MPG you are gonna get...However many Americans use trucks just because, and as daily drivers...that was my point...

Back