Quick Air Compressor Question

Reaction score
Hey i bought a 2nd hand Craftsman 26 gallon vertical compressor. Its 1.6 hp and says it has a 160 max psi rating. Only thing is it comes with no owners manual.

My question is, when i switch it to 'auto' to start filling it up...it does...but what im unsure of is do i have to turn it off when it reaches a certain pressure or will it kill itself automatically or what?

The knob works fine to adjust the pressure...i just don't know about how high the tank pressure is suppose to get. I let it go to 160 and cut it off just to be safe (im pretty sure the 160 psi max is referring to its OPERATING psi, aka the gauge on the right) but just wanna be safe.

The gauge on the left goes all the way up to 300 psi....so hope someone can answer this for me.

thanks all

Are you trying to run air tools on it or just want to use it for the Meg's MF system? If you're not running air tools I would regulate it at 90psi or less and tank pressure at 160psi. If you are trying to run air tools, look for a sticker on it with the model or serial # and Google it.

Are you trying to run air tools on it or just want to use it for the Meg's MF system? If you're not running air tools I would regulate it at 90psi or less and tank pressure at 160psi. If you are trying to run air tools, look for a sticker on it with the model or serial # and Google it.

Was trying to run airtools with it. Well not trying, i know i can...i just wanted to know the maximum psi i could let the take pressure get up to. I tried looking for the damn craftsman manual...i kinda got run in circles...still looking lol...but figured id ask the people here since you guys are my go to group for auto questions :).

So you think 160 is the most i should let the tank get up to and then kill it? Iwas going to try spraying a coat of primer with it later this weekend hopefully...(yes its strong enough for the gun i have)...just wasnt sure if i should keep it running while spraying orrrrr what?

Kind of topic, but not really!

What is the minimum size you can use air tools with? I have an extremely small 3 gallon one that I just used for other purposes, but it runs out quick just to give you an example!

Was trying to run airtools with it. Well not trying, i know i can...i just wanted to know the maximum psi i could let the take pressure get up to. I tried looking for the damn craftsman manual...i kinda got run in circles...still looking lol...but figured id ask the people here since you guys are my go to group for auto questions :).

So you think 160 is the most i should let the tank get up to and then kill it? Iwas going to try spraying a coat of primer with it later this weekend hopefully...(yes its strong enough for the gun i have)...just wasnt sure if i should keep it running while spraying orrrrr what?

I was saying that to be safe for now and if you're not running air tools. Since you are wanting to do so, let me get some help as this is out of my hands now.

Kind of topic, but not really!

What is the minimum size you can use air tools with? I have an extremely small 3 gallon one that I just used for other purposes, but it runs out quick just to give you an example!

Your air tools should tell you what you need to run them with.

I think something may be wrong with the pressure switch. It should be shutting off around 120psi.

Make sure there is a pressure relief valve on the tank or on the discharge line to the tank. This unit should shut down on its own, let it run and see what happens. The tank is not going to explode! The lines will burst or something will start leaking before the tank fails. Well that is if the tank is not rusting out. The safety relief will "POP" and bleed air pressure if the pressure switch is not working. If it does not shut off before the pressure relief pops off go to Northern Tool and grab a new switch, or call sears as they still have some parts available.

try letting it run most single stage compressors will auto shutoff from 130-140psi. is yours a double stage compressor? I would just let it run to see when it shuts off. if it gets to 170 psi shut it off, the switch maybe bad or need adjustment.

My 150psi unit(porter-cable)always shuts off automatically at 150.

Make sure there is a pressure relief valve on the tank or on the discharge line to the tank. This unit should shut down on its own, let it run and see what happens. The tank is not going to explode! The lines will burst or something will start leaking before the tank fails. Well that is if the tank is not rusting out. The safety relief will "POP" and bleed air pressure if the pressure switch is not working. If it does not shut off before the pressure relief pops off go to Northern Tool and grab a new switch, or call sears as they still have some parts available.

Well hopefully nothing is wrong with it. Any advice on what i should do when i get ready to spray some primer? The PSI for my gun is only 40 so if i let the tank fill to about 160 and cut it off you think i'd have enough to be able to do my spraying (im not doing a full car...just the 'kit' of a chevy express van...maybe 1 quart of primer)

try letting it run most single stage compressors will auto shutoff from 130-140psi. is yours a double stage compressor? I would just let it run to see when it shuts off. if it gets to 170 psi shut it off, the switch maybe bad or need adjustment.

I killed it at about 160 as i got nervous lol. I'll let it run a little longer and see what happens

My 150psi unit(porter-cable)always shuts off automatically at 150.

THIS Craftsman 26 gal. Air Compressor with Air Tool Kit, 1.6 hp, Vertical Tank, 160 Max PSI Reviews - MySears Community is the compressor i have so maybe that will help?

You can pull on the little ring on the pressure relief to make sure that it is not frozen/stuck.

As far as the 160 PSI lasting a quart or paint.. I don't think it will. At low pressure we are pulling more volume from the tank. Its one or the other high volume/low pressure or low volume/high pressure. There are pump, compressors, other equipment that will do both but we are talking big $$$

The pressure your tank holds is less important than the size of the pressure vessle. Always the biggest tank you can afford when it comes to compressors. Also you want to look at scfm but that is a whole other story.

I tried looking for the damn craftsman manual...i kinda got run in circles...still looking...

There should be a model number on the top of the compressor. The numbering system for Sears items works like this: the first three are the manufacturer, the next five is the model, and the last digit is the batch code.

If the model is indeed a 919.167600 (as provided in your link), here is the manual:

Owner's Manual - CRAFTSMAN Air compressor 919167600 - ManageMyLife.com

Also, be sure to check the maximum psi rating for your air tools. Most DA's, impacts, and ratchets are supposed to be run at 90 psi. I have a fairly large compressor and set the regulator at 125 psi. Higher psi isn't always the solution.

One of the main complaints we hear from compressor owners is that their tools don't have enough power. The easy way to fix this is to replace the quick connects with a high flow system. There are a number of manufacturers and styles, but the couplers have a larger opening, which allows more air to flow to the tool. Also, 1/4" hoses really restrict the flow. 3/8" is the minimum and 1/2" is even better.

There should be a model number on the top of the compressor. The numbering system for Sears items works like this: the first three are the manufacturer, the next five is the model, and the last digit is the batch code.

If the model is indeed a 919.167600 (as provided in your link), here is the manual:

Owner's Manual - CRAFTSMAN Air compressor 919167600 - ManageMyLife.com

Also, be sure to check the maximum psi rating for your air tools. Most DA's, impacts, and ratchets are supposed to be run at 90 psi. I have a fairly large compressor and set the regulator at 125 psi. Higher psi isn't always the solution.

One of the main complaints we hear from compressor owners is that their tools don't have enough power. The easy way to fix this is to replace the quick connects with a high flow system. There are a number of manufacturers and styles, but the couplers have a larger opening, which allows more air to flow to the tool. Also, 1/4" hoses really restrict the flow. 3/8" is the minimum and 1/2" is even better.

Yeah i read up on CFM's...and i know i have enough to operate the gun i have....especially since its a fairly little job. The high flow system you're talking about, what is that (links?). I have 3/8 inch hose connected to it now, 50' long..is it possible to switch out to 1/2 or is it set a 3/8 for that compressor.

Appreciate the help!

You can pull on the little ring on the pressure relief to make sure that it is not frozen/stuck.

make sure you got ear plugs in if you pull that ring. it scared the bejesus out of me when I did that. you can't imagine how loud it's going to be.

for spraying paint don't you need an air dryer? I thought that the moisture would FU the finish. those air/water separators won't help either, any bit of moisure will cause fish eyes in the finish and the air/water separator is not that effective.

You can pull it with out air in the tank!!!

lol....ok well good news..it went up to about 165 psi...so i had manually turned it off JUST before it would have shut itself off lol.

It sprayed real well...especially since i was using a little $15 HVLP sprayer from Harbor Freights. Had really good reviews and i must agree with them :). Get to sand the primer down and hit it with base coat tomorrow...should be fun

Back