What else do I "need" to try...:)

crcfl

Reaction score
So, I am definitely catching the bug and have been experimenting with new products.

Here are some of the things I have tried and I am looking for suggestions for new products. I am also including a few mini reviews.

Car Wash:
Meguiars Gold Class
Duragloss 901
Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Only used the Ultima once. Great product but I might like the Duragloss better. Will need a few more washes to really know.

Was thinking of Dodo Born to Be Mild. Anything else?

Waxes/Sealants:
Meguiars Ultimate Liquid - nice product and shine. Good protection. Had some difficulty with streaking but it was user area. Put a coat on my wife's car and it worked great.

UPGP - Amazing product, awesome protection and shine. Love it! Don't know if I will even try anything else. Ultima says you can layer it so I think I may try doing so this weekend after I wash the car. Don't think layering after a QD would work as well - seems like it wouldn't adhere as well for some reason.

QD:
Meguiars Ultimate - Honestly, a great product. Really love the shine it brings out. Also, I like the spray bottle setting. It is less of a mist and more of a spray. Do most people like the really fine mist? I don't seem to get as good of coverage...or something. Maybe I feel a bit more drag on the microfiber.

FK425 - Another great product. I am using the Meguiars 32oz spray bottles. Very nice but I seem to be using them on more of a mist setting as the FK425 comes out a little too think otherwise. Nice shine.

Ultima Waterless - Honestly, I have only tried this on my wheels. From what I have read Waterless provides more lubrication but no shine, correct? Really like the QD for wiping off a day or two worth of dust and adding to that shine. Will try it soon on the car though.

Wheel and Tires (I have polished aluminum wheels)
Meguiars All Wheel - great product, easy to use. Seems to clean and bring out the shine

Optimum APC - Read that a number of people use this on their wheels and tires. Seemed to work out well. Really like the convenience of a wheel and tire cleaner. Also want to ensure that I can't inadvertently damage my wheels in the process. Diluted to 3:1 and from what I read it seems pretty safe. Good cleaner.

Love the Daytona Brush - really gets in there and makes for easy cleaning! Also using the Mother's tire brush.

Optimum Opti-Bond - Great product. Like that it protects the tires. I use an applicator to wipe it and then a few minutes later wipe off any excess. Leaves a nice shine that lasts

Thinking of Griot's Garage product to try out as well as a wheel cleaner. Any other suggestions? Anything to really bring out the shine of the wheels? QD seems to do this pretty well.

Any other tire dressing? APC?

Microfiber Towels
Cobra Guzzler - great drying towel

These Microfibers are awesome for QD: Super Soft Deluxe Microfiber Towels, microfiber detailing towels, buffing towels, micro fiber towel, detail cloth and I think I would use them for wax removal as well. I have noticed that the microfiber you use for QD makes a huge difference. I purchased some soft microfibers at Pep Boys and they just seemed to move the QD around. Took me forever. The microfibers I linked to make a huge difference as they are soft and absorb the product.

I have some cheaper microfibers I use for wheels and tire wipedown.

Any others I should give a try, particularly for QD?

Interior
303 Aerospace - leaves a great satin finish and has great protection. Use it on everything. I did use it on leather and seemed to work fine. Didn't know if anyone else uses it on leather or if I should rethink that.

Pinnacle Leather Conditioner - Got this as a sample and put it on after the 303. Liked it - made the leather feel softer and I slide around a little bit in my seat...LOL

Meguiars Interior QD - Good cleaner - just didn't like the fact that there was no glossiness at all. I don't like high gloss for interior but the satin look of the 303 worked great.

Stoner's Glass - inside and outside of windows.

Anything else?

I think that sums up most of what I have been using. It is a blast. I keep my wife's car looking pretty good now too so that helps with the 20 pound boxes that show up to the house...LOL

Here is a quick pic of my car after a second coat of the UPGP was put on:

c6cbf48f.jpg

Here is a pic of my wife's "Swagger Wagon" after I washed it, clayed it, put on a coat of polish and then applied the Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid wax (all by hand!). You can see she still has a scratch that is from what must have been a truck in the parking lot. Thinking of trying scratch x to get it out?

ac8f4b5a.jpg

Car Wash:
Meguiars Gold Class
Duragloss 901
Ultima Paint Guard Wash

Excellent products!

Waxes/Sealants:
UPGP - Amazing product, awesome protection and shine. Love it! Don't know if I will even try anything else. Ultima says you can layer it so I think I may try doing so this weekend after I wash the car. Don't think layering after a QD would work as well - seems like it wouldn't adhere as well for some reason.

You can absolutely layer it and it is awesome that way. I usually do 3 coats.

QD:
Ultima Waterless - Honestly, I have only tried this on my wheels. From what I have read Waterless provides more lubrication but no shine, correct? Really like the QD for wiping off a day or two worth of dust and adding to that shine. Will try it soon on the car though.

Some waterless washes don't add gloss but some do. UWWP does and is slick as well. After a few hours the slickness increases...

Tire Dressing:
Any other tire dressing?

Depends on what finish you like. Wolfgang ETS, Ultima T&TG, DP Tire Gel are all great depending on what you like. All 3 are dry to the touch! I am currently experimenting with CarPro PEARL and will be posting a review in the next week or so.

Interior

Anything else?

Ultima Interior Guard Plus See my review here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...3-review-ultima-interior-guard-plus-uigp.html

Great work on the cars and thanks for the pictures!

Born To Be Mild is a good car shampoo. The dilution ratio is unbelievable, it has a very nice smell and good lubricity. Give it a shot.:xyxthumbs:

Nice job too on maintaining your vehicles especially doing it by hand!:props:

My wife has a Sienna van like yours; beautiful pearlized paint on those vans, ours is white & the closer you look at it the more you like it.

Car wash - Stick with DG 901

Sealant - Stick with UPGP

QD - stick with ultima waterless wash

Wheels - Try P21S wheel GEL cleaner. Tires - stick with Optimum APC

MF - With a QD, try the Cobra light blues with rolled edges. Reasonably priced, soft, and absorbent!

Interior protectant - since you like some gloss, stick with 303. Interior cleaner- stick with Optimum APC.

Window cleaner - stick with Stoner's

You have some excellent products already! :props:

Here's a few you may want to try out in the future

Car wash: BTBM

Sealant: Menzrena Powerlock

Wax: P21s Concours

Wheels: WG Black Diamond tire gel (nice glossy look)

Exterior trim: WG ETS

Interior trim/carpet cleaner: 303 Cleaner

Interior trim: PERL, WG Vinyl & Rubber

Wheel Cleaner: Brown Royal (though I'd like to note, P21s gel is the next to try on my list)

CRCLF:

Here is an important thing to consider---->PACE YOURSELF!! I am serious, dead serious! Other's in here can attest to the addiction. (Look at some previous post's of peoples becoming consumed by buying Car Care Products)

You can never buy everthing, you dont have the time to try everything and most importantly YOU DON'T NEED EVERYTHING!

So keep it simple, dont keep looking for a "better mousetrap"

Fussman

Here's a contrarian view, you don't need to try anything if you're satisfied with the results your getting. We all keep chasing the latest and greatest and touting the perceived benefits, whether true or to validate our purchases. True, there are some new products & improvements that change everything. Few and far between, IMO.

My advice is to try new products as you deplete the old. Otherwise you'll end up in a 12-steps group for compulsive buyers next to Mark. (and me!) :D

Keep in mind, a superior detailer can achieve superior results with average products. An average detailer will get average results regardless of product. My $.02.

TL

CRCLF:

Here is an important thing to consider---->PACE YOURSELF!! I am serious, dead serious! Other's in here can attest to the addiction. (Look at some previous post's of peoples becoming consumed by buying Car Care Products)

You can never buy everthing, you dont have the time to try everything and most importantly YOU DON'T NEED EVERYTHING!

Fussman

That is correct! I have $180 to spend on a upcoming order, but I have tried to narrow down some of my focus. Going to spend a majority on Dodo Juice products and supplies - brushes, bottles, MF...

dodo juice ! :-)>

:hungry:

yes! :-)> dodo juice website has given me an appetite.

Great suggestions and advice - thanks!

I do agree with those that cautioned on just buying and buying. Honestly, I am very happy with the current products I am using. The UPGP is amazing. My car just shines with it and I don't anticipate changing that. (It's great that I can just layer it on as need be as well.)

For car washes and some of the other products it is always fun to check out new products. (I never in my life thought I would refer to washing and detailing a car as "fun").

Some great suggestions for the future!

Thanks to everyone for your time!

CRCLF:

Fussman

Who says you can't buy everything....... Mark does and has! LOL

Yes if you are getting good results and are happy with what you have stick with them!

I really like the new coatings. I would consider a DA Polisher too!
bTW Corey has an impeccable list that I agree with completely!

Back