PDA

View Full Version : Quick Wash Price?

RcAutoDetailing
11-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I want to offer a quick wash in my area because often times people don't have the time for a detail, so they will just go through the local car wash.

What are you guys charging for this and how do you beat the car washes?

tuscarora dave
11-02-2011, 12:51 AM
You can't beat the car wash and never will be able to.You can easily do a better job but in volume the local coin-op will always be king. I suggest that you decide how quick you want to do your washes. Figure out how much product you'll use as far as the cost goes and double the cost of the product used.Then figure out how much your time is worth (how much you need to be profitable.) Set a price and explain to potential customers why your service has more value than a cheaper wash. Get a few customers under your belt and let the quality of your work be what propels the good word of mouth. Will you be mobile or at a shop? The cost of either of those needs to be figured into the mix as well. What about taxes? Don't forget taxes. there's a lot to think about. Hold out to see if anyone throws out some solid numbers. My washes aren't quick so I charge $50 to $75 depending on what Wax or sealant I use, plus mileage if I have to drive more than 10 miles.

weavers
11-02-2011, 01:18 AM
i charge 20-25 as a flat rate to wash a car. exterior, wheels, tire dressing, windows, interior wipe down and door jams. sometimes i do special wash and wax for 20 or wash and interior for 20 bucks. I like making 20 bucks an hour. use ONR to wash and save time and the car looks just waxed.

fredcandetail
11-02-2011, 02:28 AM
$25 a wash while may sound cheap is but it isn't .... I have a pay And point type wash in where a client points out his car and pays forvhis wash and walks away... Doors stay closed and we wash and dress and are gone
My guys can do an ONR wash and dress on a sedan in about 15 minutes so I'm ok with the ROI
However most wash packages we do are about $15-30 more than that when it comes to windows and vac and wipedowns...

RcAutoDetailing
11-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the advise! I currently do a detailed wash for $30. No wax or anything but it takes about 2 hours. I want to get it down to about 30 minutes do I can charge less and people don't have to wait as long. Thats my goal.

RcAutoDetailing
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Weavers, how do you make money doing a wax and all for $20?

rousher99
11-02-2011, 11:12 PM
2 bucket wash and dry with microfiber towels......$35 cars and $45 trucks and suvs if people dont want to pay it...oh well i guess.lol i get a bunch of ppl that want a full detail with a clay and 3 step buff for just $65... just try to make a sales pitch about why ur better than anyone else in town(2 buckets)

weavers
11-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Weavers, how do you make money doing a wax and all for $20?

Wax itself doesn't cost much. i love collnite 845. I use very little product. I like to use a DA and 2 passes it takes 15mins. collnite 845 hazes over very fast, as soon I apply to the whole car its time to remove. If I work by myself or with one other person its still profitable. you don't need to always clay daily drivers...I try too and it can take as little as 15mins. Really depends on the client.

mobile detailing is a word of mouth business. you have to do alot of free work to establish clients. you gotta go to a car wash and do free washes for a day, give out business cards, do specials, have a website, ect. The work I do I may be worth 50 dollars an hour.

Around here everyone has mercedes, bmw, toyota. People have money, but they are still cheap and don't know much about car care.

Kristopher1129
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I charge $25 for a wash. Car wash prices don't matter. You either want a machine that will spend 30 seconds on your car, or you want it done right by hand.

DLB
11-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I charge $25 for a wash. Car wash prices don't matter. You either want a machine that will spend 30 seconds on your car, or you want it done right by hand.
Exactly!
At $25 I'm not making a killing, but I make money. Also, since I am not full time I can usually afford the luxury of taking care of people here and there with the small things (quick vacuum the interior, maybe windows, etc.). My plain wash generally consists of 2 Bucket wash, dry, dress tires, and wipe door jambs. I also have some really good clients that give me constant repeat business so I often am either mobile or picking up/delivering, so that will kill my profit too. However, when you need work, you can depend on these folks to be there for you, and that's worth something to me too.

Generally speaking though, $25 will get anyone a quick wash with me (at my place). I hate mobile, so that would be at least another $5-10.

DLB

RcAutoDetailing
11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the advise. Still new, what's a 2 bucket wash? And a little confused on what you mean by free work, other than its literal meaning of NO PAY? Haha.

ALLN1WASH
11-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I charge $20 for cars and $25 for trucks/SUV's. This consist of exterior hand wash and dry, exterior windows, door jambs, tires-wheels-fender wells cleaned and dressed. Usually takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes a vehicle.

As far as making my services more appealing than the local car wash, I carry a photo album with scratches, swirls, and just DAMAGE period, done to several cars all @ our local car washes. Also the LUXURY of having your vehicle cleaned while you're at work or just lounging around your house, tends to carry a lot of weight with my clients. And not to mention, I think I'm pretty dang good at what I do...

weavers
11-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks for all the advise. Still new, what's a 2 bucket wash? And a little confused on what you mean by free work, other than its literal meaning of NO PAY? Haha.

2 bucket wash you can google it. Its a great way to wash a car safely, but it uses 70-100 gallons of water with all of the rinsing. All be it a shower in the morning uses the same amount of water.

the short and the tall of it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBo76v2je44]Car Washing & Drying using 2 Bucket Method - Car Care Products - YouTube[/video]

The long version and the one I originally watched
[ame=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7598756069207401372]How to Wash Your Car (ShowCar style!)[/video]

Imo the point of a rinse less system is to save water, save time, and save yourself from getting all wet. whenever I use a hose i get my front all wet and my shoes are soaking. you can use rineless with two buckets. Always use 2 sponges, one for upper body panels and one for lower.

If the car is really dirty then will either spray it with a hose(on shower/light pressure) or spray it with ONR in a pump sprayer. I use one bucket to wash. The water tends to stay pretty clean, my sponges doesn't, but towels for drying stay clean.

RcAutoDetailing
11-06-2011, 12:16 AM
2 bucket wash and dry with microfiber towels......$35 cars and $45 trucks and suvs if people dont want to pay it...oh well i guess.lol i get a bunch of ppl that want a full detail with a clay and 3 step buff for just $65... just try to make a sales pitch about why ur better than anyone else in town(2 buckets)

What do you charge for that 3 step detail?