Dawn difference to others dish soap

DaC

Reaction score
Guys, I'm not from the US so I'm trying to figure this out....
It seems to me that Dawn is a brand of dish soap, right ? In case it is just a brand of dish soap, what's so special about it ?
:confused:

Dawn is indeed a dish soap brand. And for me it is the best because of how concentrated it is. And how well it cuts through grease and grime. This ability also makes it good for stripping LSP's.

Dawn is indeed a dish soap brand. And for me it is the best because of how concentrated it is. And how well it cuts through grease and grime. This ability also makes it good for stripping LSP's.

Now everything is getting more clear...... so when everybody here talks about Dawn they are actually talking about this brand and not any dish soap..... I see.....

I know I should create a different topic about it.... but.... is there any difference between these dish soup and laundry detergent ?

It seems to me that Dawn is a brand of dish soap, right ? In case it is just a brand of dish soap, what's so special about it ?

Saying Dawn may also be like saying "kleenex" or "Band-aid" which one brand becomes the item's popular nickname. Similar to when someone "bics" their head we all know that means to shave it and hopefully they didn't use an actual bic razor cause they're cheap.

Saying Dawn may also be like saying "kleenex" or "Band-aid" which one brand becomes the item's popular nickname. Similar to when someone "bics" their head we all know that means to shave it and hopefully they didn't use an actual bic razor cause they're cheap.

LoL... yeah... this is just what i was trying to figure... :dblthumb2:

Dish soaps are different than laundry soaps as they are aimed at cutting grease(which is why they cut wax) not at cloth and its a little stronger than anything we have here stateside for laundry or all your cloths would fade like crazy.

Dish soaps are different than laundry soaps as they are aimed at cutting grease(which is why they cut wax) not at cloth and its a little stronger than anything we have here stateside for laundry or all your cloths would fade like crazy.

I was searching the net and found different places stating the opposite.... that laundry detergent is more aggressive than dish soap, because they don't need to preserve human skin...

I thought Dawn Dish Soap was known world wide. The only soap to wash water fowl after an oil spill.

I thought Dawn Dish Soap was known world wide. The only soap to wash water fowl after an oil spill.
Well.. at least it isn't here in Brazil...

I have not seen Dawn remove all of a well cured sealant, so I prefer a dedicated paint cleanser or polisher to remove lsp's specifically.

I have not seen Dawn remove all of a well cured sealant, so I prefer a dedicated paint cleanser or polisher to remove lsp's specifically.
Try rinsing the vehicle, lightly spraying the paint with IPA and then giving it a dawn bath letting it soak as long as you can. I've yet to meet any regular LSP (ie: non-OC/AQ/CQ/etc.) that can't be completely stripped this way. That's assuming your dedicated LSP remover is short on supply :)

Try rinsing the vehicle, lightly spraying the paint with IPA and then giving it a dawn bath letting it soak as long as you can. I've yet to meet any regular LSP (ie: non-OC/AQ/CQ/etc.) that can't be completely stripped this way. That's assuming your dedicated LSP remover is short on supply :)

Dont you think the IPA likely had more to do with it versus the Dawn ??? I have not seen Dawn alone remove Klasse Twins, Zaino, Rejex and more of the most durable paint sealants. IPA perhaps ...

A very large international corporation called Proctor & Gamble, whose headquarters are located in Cincinnati, Ohio USA, manufactures many home and personal care products.

Some of their Brand-Names for liquid hand-dish-washing detergents are:

Dawn
Ivory
Joy

They contain:

-Surfactants for cleaning and sudsing
-Ethyl alcohol
-Water
-Stabilizing agents
-Colorants and perfumes.

Proctor &Gamble also has Dawn and Joy brands called Dawn/Joy Liquid Anti-Bacterial (Triclosan) Hand Soaps.

More information (MSDS) is available here:
http://216.178.82.98/leonardpaper/pub/msds/81300/PG-84982413.pdf

Out of curiosity....
-What is the most popular hand-dish-washing-liquid detergent in Brazil?
-Have you ever personally used it for vehicle washing sessions?
-If so...what were your observations on its cleaning ability;
-And, did it cause any adverse effects on the vehicle's different surfaces (paint, plastics, rubber) that you were able to also observe?

Thanks for your inquiry about Dawn's use in vehicle care in the USA.
Thanks also for any information you may wish to share in regards to my inquiries listed above.

:)

Bob

With how far companies have come in making products dedicated to stripping LSP's why do people stil use dawn? It doesn't work as well as a dedicated product like Griots Paint Prep or any of the many other paint cleaners/strippers? I just don't get it.

Likely the biggest factor is cost. Dawn is inexpensive and it works pretty darn well.

Sparty

You have to remember that the OP is not in the US - like a number of us aren't. While products like Eraser, Griot's Paint Prep, P21S TAW, etc. can be obtained fairly easily over there, shipping liquids across borders can be prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, a dishwashing soap such as Dawn (or Joy over here) is readily available in thousands of supermarkets or convenience stores, at a pretty inexpensive price - hence why people still consider using it over more dedicated wax strippers.

Likely the biggest factor is cost. Dawn is inexpensive and it works pretty darn well.

On a decent sealant it doesn't work well. I'd rather pay a little more for a product that actually works, than have to soak a car is dish soap 2-4 times.

You have to remember that the OP is not in the US - like a number of us aren't. While products like Eraser, Griot's Paint Prep, P21S TAW, etc. can be obtained fairly easily over there, shipping liquids across borders can be prohibitively expensive. On the other hand, a dishwashing soap such as Dawn (or Joy over here) is readily available in thousands of supermarkets or convenience stores, at a pretty inexpensive price - hence why people still consider using it over more dedicated wax strippers.
This I understand, I was mainly referring to people that have the access to the other products.

I'll get back to your post later at night... :dblthumb2:

With how far companies have come in making products dedicated to stripping LSP's why do people stil use dawn? It doesn't work as well as a dedicated product like Griots Paint Prep or any of the many other paint cleaners/strippers? I just don't get it.

Yeah... like others have said, shipping cost is the main problem for those whom lives outside the US.... shipping a griot's paint prep alone to Brazil would cost close to $30.00
using USPS...... using UPS I would say close to $80.00... import tax over shipping alone would cost 3-4x times the price of a bottle....

Sparty

:whs:

:whs:

On a decent sealant it doesn't work well. I'd rather pay a little more for a product that actually works, than have to soak a car is dish soap 2-4 times.

This I understand, I was mainly referring to people that have the access to the other products.

That's why back on this thread i asked about laundry detergent... i've red over the net that it's more powerful than dish soap, but I really don't know if it's safe to use on car's paint / trims....

But can you soak your hands in it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bEkq7JCbik]Palmolive commercial - YouTube[/video]

:)

Back