Is compounding a boat different than a car?

ShineTimeDetail

Reaction score
I'm doing a boat tomorrow and its my first. The guy bought the compounding and wax. Any pointers?

Bring your rotary, wool pads and heavy cut compound. Every boat I've ever done has been a WRECK! (chalky)

One good thing about boats are all the flat panels. Once you get in a groove you'll have it knocked-out in no time

Bring your rotary, wool pads and heavy cut compound. Every boat I've ever done has been a WRECK! (chalky)

One good thing about boats are all the flat panels. Once you get in a groove you'll have it knocked-out in no time

This. Theyre not that bad, as said the flat panels are nice.....is rather do a boat than alot of cars.

I used my flex 3401 on a boat and it's never been the same.

I used my flex 3401 on a boat and it's never been the same.

The flex or the boat? Good or bad? We have a bout we are getting ready to sell shortly and I want to clean it up to get it to sell quickly.

The flex has this weird vibration now. It was a 2 day job and the boat was pretty bad. Was also the first year I bought my 3401...doh!

If the gel-coat is in fact oxidized, be sure to bring a spur and clean your pad OFTEN. IF you have a pad washer bring it and use it often followed by the spur.

Buffing will be faster and more effective with a clean pad and wipe off of the compound/removed gel-coat residue is always easier if you clean your pad often.

:)

"clean our pad often"...i know what you meant but I guess it can work both ways. lol

Geeze I don't think I'll ever do a boat again! This thing is horrible and to top it off its black!

yes i concur. rotary with 3M 10" wool pad and M105 or Power Gloss. I use this combo on boats, cars, everything, even the kitchen sink.

what would a boat have to do with your flex developing a vibration. I dont get it.

I'm not sure if the paint in the boat is not uniform or if I'm leaving marks on the paint from the buffer.

I disagree with answer b. when a boat is very faded it's hard to get down to the base. This happened to me working on a red boat. 20 years in the sun can cause nightmares on uniform color.

as for the flex vibration I think 2 days of gelcoat was too much for it. As I was buffing something happened and now it has a slight vibration. The place in Mass that was on the warranty booklet said they haven't worked with Flex in years.

"clean our pad often"...i know what you meant but I guess it can work both ways. lol

Good catch, I fixed it. Just another example of typing too fast and thinking too slow.

Spell check doesn't know what word I wanted to use it just makes sure I spell them korrectly.

:)

Back