How to detail a hybrid engine?

davidc11291

Reaction score
Friday I'm doing a detail of a hybrid Prius, and the customer doesn't want any water used in the engine bay. I figure that I'll just use ONR, but I was wondering if a hybrid engine bay can be done just like a regular one- APC, scrub brush, and a water hose rinse. I'll be doing this car every 2 weeks, so I've got to have a process that will keep the engine bay clean. Anybody have any experience with this? Can a water hose be used safely?

Im curios too as I want to do my Civic Hybrid engine bay

I've always surface cleaned hybrid engines using a steam cleaner. It's very effective, uses little to no water, and always comes out looking great.

The only trick, is that you have to keep up on it. The more filthy it gets, the tougher and longer it takes to clean.

Pressure washing isn't a good idea for obvious reasons.

Friday I'm doing a detail of a hybrid Prius, and the customer doesn't want any water used in the engine bay. I figure that I'll just use ONR, but I was wondering if a hybrid engine bay can be done just like a regular one- APC, scrub brush, and a water hose rinse. I'll be doing this car every 2 weeks, so I've got to have a process that will keep the engine bay clean. Anybody have any experience with this? Can a water hose be used safely?

DO NOT, use a hose to rinse. Especially a hose. It's far too much water around far too many electronics. Steam only is my rule.

Everything on the engine should be covered, and you could probably get away with rinsing with a hose. But honestly, it's too risky.

Minimal use of water and be careful of wiring on/near the electric motors. Believe the battery pack around 300 volts for those. (Ouch!)

I've always surface cleaned hybrid engines using a steam cleaner. It's very effective, uses little to no water, and always comes out looking great.

The only trick, is that you have to keep up on it. The more filthy it gets, the tougher and longer it takes to clean.

Pressure washing isn't a good idea for obvious reasons.

I agree with all of the above. Use minimal water. In my classes now that's all I teach, low pressure water cleaning using a pump sprayer.

Also, like Kristopher said, stay up on it,

Frequent car care is fast and easy car care

It's only when you let it go for a long time does the grunge begin to solidify and become more difficult to remove.

Also I wrote this a number of years ago and still stand by this advice today... the problem is always finding a helpful and friendly discussion forum, too many are filled with people that simply tell you to use the search button or give you one-liner answers that don't really help.

From my article list under engine detailing

Engine Detailing

How to use a Discussion Forum to Detail an Engine

:)

I've cleaned the engine bay in my CR-Z once so far and only use the low pressure setting at the quarter carwash and had NO issues at all. If you have the hand pump already, go for it, but I do not and its just easier to take it to the quarter carwash and let all the crud, what ever amount of it there is, to just go down the drain. All hybrids have that thick, orange cable so what I do is just spray indirectly in that area and I also have the advantage of a K&N typhoon intake, so its easier to get in there and dry everything off in the area.

I think of the comment that Anthony made in his new "Drywash" thread about cleaning the landing gear on aircraft. Good old elbow grease combined with the new technology in waterless washes. I have yet to do an engine bay in a hybrid but I'll be doing Anthony's Drywash method if I do.

I think of the comment that Anthony made in his new "Drywash" thread about cleaning the landing gear on aircraft. Good old elbow grease combined with the new technology in waterless washes. I have yet to do an engine bay in a hybrid but I'll be doing Anthony's Drywash method if I do.

:iagree: LOL

Back