Paint Issues Hyundai Genesis

dfunkregulater

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here could pin point what may be the issue with my paint. One side seems to either have really small bumps or small pin hole type spots in the paint. It doesn't feel like anything just maybe slightly rougher than the paint on that is not like this. Most of the passenger side of the car looks like this but not the drivers side. I have attached a few pictures to show it, you can see the detail of reflections is a bit hazy on one side versus the other. I tried using WG total swirl remover 3.0 with an orange lake country flat pad and a GG6, and the paint seems to be really hard, I didnt get much correction and saw no difference from using the WG finishing glaze. I recently bought the car used, its a 2009 hyundai genesis and i didn't notice this until maybe a month ago. By the way, I recently found this website and I am completely addicted to buying stuff from Autogeek. Thanks for your guy's help.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone on here could pin point what may be the issue with my paint. One side seems to either have really small bumps or small pin hole type spots in the paint. It doesn't feel like anything just maybe slightly rougher than the paint on that is not like this. Most of the passenger side of the car looks like this but not the drivers side. I have attached a few pictures to show it, you can see the detail of reflections is a bit hazy on one side versus the other. I tried using WG total swirl remover 3.0 with an orange lake country flat pad and a GG6, and the paint seems to be really hard, I didnt get much correction and saw no difference from using the WG finishing glaze. I recently bought the car used, its a 2009 hyundai genesis and i didn't notice this until maybe a month ago. By the way, I recently found this website and I am completely addicted to buying stuff from Autogeek. Thanks for your guy's help.

I'm not sure I like the way you say "addict". I'm kidding. Has the car been resprayed? How long have you owned it?

I have had it for about 3 months, it was previously a lease. It has not been resprayed to my knowledge, but that doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been resprayed. There are some bubbles forming on one of the panels that have this look too. Of course there is a 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty that only covers paint til 36k miles (I am at 46k).

Most likely a respray...hard to see from the pics though.

Yea sorry about the crappy pics, all I have is an iphone and clearly some unsteady hands.

Well after looking at other threads about repsrays I would definitely agree that this is a [bad] respray. It kinda sucks that the dealership isn't required to tell you when you buy it. I bought it in Los angeles so when I looked at it, it was inside in their garage where they prep the cars....too bad it was before I found this website otherwise I would have looked much closer at the paint. A major bummer about it too is I noticed what I thought to be the chrome trim around the car to be chipping off, but now I think its paint that is on it from not taping it off well during the repsray, because its only on the parts that look resprayed. Oh well, Thanks for your guys help in pointing me in the right direction.

You might be able to at least get some of that overspray off the trim with some clay.. Definitely do a test spot first..

Bummer about the re-spray. :(

They are magnificent cars. Why don't you look into a lights-out respray of the entire car? Yours hardly has any miles on it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

If the respray is thick enough, you may be able to damp sand, buff and polish.
Just a thought.

Craig

Not 100% sure,but from what I can tell in the pics it looks like solvent pop...from a respray.

Like I said not 100% sure.

Really hard to tell from photos that small, but the last one does show 'some' detail.
Small pinholes are likely fisheyes which would point to a respray. They are caused from contaminates in the air that will mix with the wet paint. For instance, silicone tire spray. Spray some of that stuff within a MILE upwind of a spray booth and it'll trash any and every paint job for the day, maybe two.

Thing is at some dealerships you have a detail/wash bay in the service area and a body shop elsewhere on the property. Crazy part is I've seen guys use tire shine in one place like that while the other had no idea it was even on the property. Wondering all the while why their paint jobs keep coming back. There's a reason some products say "body shop safe".

Back