what should i exchange/return

drcasper

Reaction score
Hi guys.. i bought a bit more than I need. please help me choose what to keep and what to return. Please take into consideration this will be my first time doing a whole showroom car detail.
Thanks

Meguiar's #105
Meguiar's #205

Meguiar's ultimate polish
Meguiar's ultimate compound

Menzerna super finish Polish SF-4500 ( P085RD)

Hi guys.. i bought a bit more than I need. please help me choose what to keep and what to return. Please take into consideration this will be my first time doing a whole showroom car detail.
Thanks

Meguiar's #105
Meguiar's #205

Meguiar's ultimate polish
Meguiar's ultimate compound

Menzerna super finish Polish SF-4500 ( P085RD)

Id return 105 and 205. To a newbie they can be a nightmare.

You can also return Ultimate Polish. SF4500 and UP are pretty much the same (with regards to their purpose) and SF4500 is the better choice.

Keep Ultimate Compound and SF4500

IMHO I would not return anything. You have a good selection of products that will produce some great results.

If your just working on your own vehical,and have not done the "Test Spot" you have a good variety to choose from to get the results your looking for.

start with the least eggressive and work your way up to find whats going to work for you and your paint.

If you end up not using some of the products you could offer them up for a trade for something you might like to try later.

totaly my .02

You can also return Ultimate Polish. SF4500 and UP are pretty much the same (with regards to their purpose) and SF4500 is the better choice.

awesome. thanks for the advice.
i will keep those 2.. what do you suggest i do with the $$ .. any other menzerna that would be good to have? something between 105 and UC maybe?

Really??????? 205 a nightmare to use? I beg to differ its juat as easy to use as SF4500.

Granted UP might not be needed but we don't know what the op is working on....and what the condition of the paint is.

How can you recommend something ,you know nothing about.105 can be a little tricky sometimes with all the variables involved but by no means that compund is not for newbies.

we all were newbies once......and polishes or compounds are new the first time you try them are they not?

The first time I tried 105 I hated it......but continued to read and research the practices of some great people here and have dialed in a process with 105 that I love and I use it often,Just like the rest of list.

and there are few more I use......there is no one single compound or polish that will do everthing all the time.

I think what Andrew meant is that the 105/205 combo isnt exactly for newbies. Personally I dont recommend that product combo for folks new to the detail scene.

I always recommend their baby brothers, UC & UP. Thats just my opinion and from observation of new comers using 105/205 and end up with....not so great results when otherwise more experienced users would of had otherwise.

Keep them all. I have about 7 different polishes or more. Still will buy more. Seems some days one works better then the other, depends on paint, humidity, pad, pressure. Id just go for it and have fun. Plus somedays I like to try something different. The 105/205 is a pretty sure fire combo but somedays I just want to change it up.

I think what Andrew meant is that the 105/205 combo isnt exactly for newbies. Personally I dont recommend that product combo for folks new to the detail scene.

I always recommend their baby brothers, UC & UP. Thats just my opinion and from observation of new comers using 105/205 and end up with....not so great results when otherwise more experienced users would of had otherwise.

So True!!!!!

......there is no one single compound or polish that will do everthing all the time.

:xyxthumbs: I would even mix them (D300 + a bit of M105 = a bit more bite).

I would keep them and in fact buy more. Don't underestimate what having a good selection of products and pads can do for finicky finishes

To someone who has no experience polishing and needs a showroom detail on the first try, I'd say gain some experience and knowledge before using the 105/205 combo

awesome. thanks for the advice.
i will keep those 2.. what do you suggest i do with the $$ .. any other menzerna that would be good to have? something between 105 and UC maybe?

Well really, choosing which polishing system to go with is up to you! One is not better than the other, its all in how you can use it better.

I only use Menzerna due to the fact DAT (diminishing abrasive technology). Through the cutting cycle of DAT polishes, the abrasive that cut quickly break down to be less and less aggressive. Thats where you "have to work the polish in" and let it complete its entire cycle.

Some of Meguiars and all of Optimum polishes use SMAT (super micro abrasive technology). SMAT polishes are different because the abrasive particles do not "break down", granted over time they will, but you will never encounter it in polishing. For this reason SMAT polishes tend to be more aggressive

So I believe UC is actually DAT, so have a try with it and see how you like it. Really choose what works well for you. A lot of companies use "fear mongering" to promote their product as better, but honestly pick what works best for you. Wether that is Megs, Mothers, Optimum, Menz, Chemical Guys or etc.

Negative, UC is not a DAT product, its SMAT. The only DAT products that Meg's produces are some of the 80 series polishes.

Thanks! :xyxthumbs:

So basically you get to test both ends of the pole in your case

So True!!!!!

:xyxthumbs: I would even mix them (D300 + a bit of M105 = a bit more bite).

And that combo with mf pads,outstanding...somthing I have been syaing for a while.

Edit:

Keep what you have. M105 is a pain to work with, but you will get the hang of it. Or, you could exchange M105 for M100. M100 has all the attributes of D300(ease of use), except it cuts better, even better than M105.

Ok guys.......just because Megs says that if you use M105 you HAVE to use M205 as a follow up, you GROUP them as a combo. Then you won't recommend it to newbie.

M205 on its own will work wonders........and is bubba proof with a DA. Also easy to remove.

M105 can be a pain, BUT with proper technique AND some experimentation can do some great stuff,even in the hands of the inexperienced. It's not rocket science.

the point is......if you don't like M105.....move on, but don't say because you don't like M105 that M205 is junk also because its supposed to be a combo.

Same goes for UC and UP.

If you want to take a step further SF4500 was designed for use with a rotary to jewel paint but works great with a da for the same purpose.......go figure.

Ok guys.......just because Megs says that if you use M105 you HAVE to use M205 as a follow up, you GROUP them as a combo. Then you won't recommend it to newbie.

M205 on its own will work wonders........and is bubba proof with a DA. Also easy to remove.

M105 can be a pain, BUT with proper technique AND some experimentation can do some great stuff,even in the hands of the inexperienced. It's not rocket science.

the point is......if you don't like M105.....move on, but don't say because you don't like M105 that M205 is junk also because its supposed to be a combo.

Same goes for UC and UP.

If you want to take a step further SF4500 was designed for use with a rotary to jewel paint but works great with a da for the same purpose.......go figure.

I agree. Hence why I recommend UC over 105 to new folks.

Edit:

Keep what you have. M105 is a pain to work with, but you will get the hang of it. Or, you could exchange M105 for M100. M100 has all the attributes of D300(ease of use), except it cuts better, even better than M105.

To the OP listen to this guy....Mark has great knowledge! he would not steer you in the wrong direction.

plus he is bigger than all of us!:laughing:

Back