A couple of questions from a newbie...

ICN2U

Reaction score
First, a little background. I recently bought a black 2009 Porsche Cayman S, and after spending several weeks researching paint correction and other detailing nuances, I bought a Porter Cable 7424 and a litany of detailing products and set to work.

I pretty much have the metal panels completely swirl and scratch free - looking like glass. There are still a few scattered paint chips that I am planning on getting after soon with an airbrush, but I still have swirling on the fiberglass parts (front and rear bumpers and side mirror hulls).

So, the questions I haven't been able to find answers for are as follows:

1) Since the paint on fiberglass parts is supposedly formulated differently (flex agent additive) and heats up easily, how do you go about correcting swirls and scratches? Machine? Wet sand? Something else?

2) The Porsche OEM touch-up paint is labeled as "Acryl Lackstift" Does anyone know if this is this acrylic lacquer? I am wanting to know what to use to thin it. I have automotive acrylic lacqer thinner and am thinking that I am good, but I want to be sure.

3) What can be used to take off Meguiar's #20 polymer sealant?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and thank you for all the information in this forum that has gotten me to where I am.

Jeff

I do lots of Corvette and I buff them the same as every other car I do with out a problem. The only reason it would heat up is if you hold the buff in one spot to long or it your doing way to many passes.

Pureshine,

What kind of pad do you usually start with on fiberglass? I've seen mention somewhere that rubbing compound is too aggressive for fiberglass paint. Have you not found this to be the case?

I've considered lightly wet sanding the fiberglass parts with 2000 ungrit, then cleaning, then re-spraying clear, then lightly wet sanding with 3000 ungrit, then machine polishing, then opti-coat 2.0...

Thoughts?

I thought of another question I forgot to ask the first go around...

Anyone know if you can or should apply Opti-coat 2.0 over Meguiar's #20 polymer sealant?

My intuition is that it would probably prevent the Opti-coat from adhering correctly, but I haven't been able to find anything that confirms or refutes this.

I use Menzerna Fast Gloss FG400 with MF pads and finish with Menzerna SF4500 with a foam pad. No opti-coat has to be applied to clean paint.

Aw man congrats on that sweet Cayman S, I freaking love that car its so SEXY & fast. Thats on my next list (if my wife lets me). I get in enough trouble as it is with my Accord.

CM8 6MT,

Thanks, man. I absolutely love it - maybe too much. This detailing thing has become somewhat of an obsession.

I haven't gotten into any trouble yet, but it's probably just a matter of time. It's crazy how easy it is to be going 70 in a 40 and not even realize it.

Polish the fiberglass panels as you would metal panels. You're not using a rotary buffer, you'll be just fine with the pcxp.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any input on some of my other questions, mostly...

1) Best way to get Meg's #20 polymer sealant off? IPA/water mix? Buff it off?

2) Curious if anyone knows if the Porsche OEM factory paint, which is labeled Acryl Lackstift, is acrylic lacquer?

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm bumping this to see if anyone has any input on some of my other questions, mostly...

1) Best way to get Meg's #20 polymer sealant off? IPA/water mix? Buff it off?

2) Curious if anyone knows if the Porsche OEM factory paint, which is labeled Acryl Lackstift, is acrylic lacquer?

1. 1 oz per gallon cg citrus wash and gloss then use a paint cleaner like af rejuvenate, griot's paint prep, or similar product to be absolutely sure that it's gone. If you rather buff and get rid of any scratches or swirls you can do that too. You might as well if you're going to prep the paint. If the paint is in great condition, then you can jewel the paint with menz sf4500 on a black or red pad. Chances are you have soft paint like I do so you won't need aggressive polish and pads.

2. no idea. Ask this on rennlist, 6speed, or planet9.

Thanks for all the replies. I spent today on the rear bumper and it's looking really nice. I'll hit the front bumper, mirrors, and spoiler tomorrow.

How does Meguiar's Ultimate Polish compare to Menz sf 4500? Would UP work for buffing off #20 polymer sealant?

Thanks for all the replies. I spent today on the rear bumper and it's looking really nice. I'll hit the front bumper, mirrors, and spoiler tomorrow.

How does Meguiar's Ultimate Polish compare to Menz sf 4500? Would UP work for buffing off #20 polymer sealant?

I would guess UP would remove #20. It will also probably leave behind more oils than SF4500.

I would guess UP would remove #20. It will also probably leave behind more oils than SF4500.

Agree, UP indeed has ALOT more oils. An IPA wipe down would ensure you are indeed removing the defects, not just masking them.

The reason I ask is that I already have UP. I'm not worried about masking defects with the oils as I've pretty much gotten almost all of the defects out. That's the reason I want to take the polymer sealant off. I got better results than I was expecting, so I want to Opti-coat it.

Is the sf 4500 formulated for a DA like my Porter Cable 7424, or is it more for a rotary?

What is a finer grit equivalent, UP or sf 4500?

The reason I ask is that I already have UP. I'm not worried about masking defects with the oils as I've pretty much gotten almost all of the defects out. That's the reason I want to take the polymer sealant off. I got better results than I was expecting, so I want to Opti-coat it.

Is the sf 4500 formulated for a DA like my Porter Cable 7424, or is it more for a rotary?

What is a finer grit equivalent, UP or sf 4500?

Any polish, even a fine polish will remove whatever LSP you have on the paint. As far as Ultimate Polish vs SF4500, SF4500 would be a finer cut meaning it has less cutting ability than UP.

You can control the level of cut by adjusting your pad type. As far as Menzerna polishes are concerned, they are in fact able to be used with DA's. If you want in-depth info on the Menzerna line, I would PM Smack, he has extensive knowledge & experience with both Menzerna & Meguiar's polishes.

The reason I ask is that I already have UP. I'm not worried about masking defects with the oils as I've pretty much gotten almost all of the defects out. That's the reason I want to take the polymer sealant off. I got better results than I was expecting, so I want to Opti-coat it. QUOTE]

Since you want to OptiCoat the car you must remove all sealants, waxes and polishing oils. So if you're going to give it a final polish it might make sense to use an Optimum polish or other water based polish. This way all you have to do is wipe down with a damp cloth or give it an ONR wash and you're ready to apply OptiCoat.

Back