PDA

View Full Version : Glazing without Polishing Prior with Abrasives

swanicyouth
05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
So, I'm wondering how some of you would go about this. I plan on removing my current LSP 100% and using a glaze prior to re-waxing (Black Hole). I don't want to use abrasives because the paint doesn't need it and its sort of thin.

I wanted to use a chemical paint cleaner, but they all seem to have a "glaze" or "filling" component to them. I don't want a glaze, that's what the Black Hole is for. I want squeaky clean paint.

Is there any paint cleaner out there with no abrasives that leave just clean paint? I thought PB's Pro Polish was it, until I found out it had "micro abrasives". I'm wondering if the 4* paint cleaner leaves anything behind???

I have heard of this super secret Duragloss product called something like "Squeaky Clean Paint" or something like that, but I think you have to either be important or know someone important to get it - and I'm just a nobody.

I know I could re-wash with a stripping shampoo or do an IPA wipedown after using the paint cleaner to get rid of the glaze component of it, but that's a lot like working backwards.

I plan to use BH under coats of Dodo's Purple Haze and Blue Velvet Pro. I'm going after a darkening effect, that's why I want to use the specific products.

Is there a paint cleaner or non abrasive polish that just leaves "squeaky clean paint" ???

lkotsios
05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Lime prime lite no abrasives and leaves paint squeaky. Four star has abrasives so does sonus thats what they told me when I called them.

Setec Astronomy
05-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Well, you could use something like KAIO. Or this: Sonus Paintwork Cleanser Prewax Polish, pre-wax car polish, Sonus paint cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/sonus-paintwork-cleanser.html) which doesn't say anything about fillers. In the old ACC (pre PBMG) days it was supposed to be a paint cleaner you could use under sealants. Of course since it's made by Four Star, the Four Star or Ultima paint cleaners might do the same thing for you.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I highly doubt you're going to find any "paint cleaners" without any oils or fillers.

GTechniq Panel Wipe would be your best bet to get the paint squeaky clean.

Setec Astronomy
05-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I highly doubt you're going to find any "paint cleaners" without any oils or fillers.

We've been having this argument here lately. I was always under the impression that all the paint cleaners like P21S GEPC (which was intended prior to P21S wax) have oily fillers in them, and so logically they would be "bad" to use under a sealant. Then people brought up that the Wolfgang and Blackfire pre-wax cleaner have fillers in them yet they are intended for use under the Wolfgang and Blackfire sealants, and of course Meguiar's has plenty of oily prep products that they recommend before NXT for example.

As I noted in my earlier post many years ago that Sonus paint cleaner was supposed to not be oily, and logic would dictate that the Ultima Paint Prep Plus would be non-oily since it's the prep for UPGP. The Four Star paint cleaner description also indicates it's good for sealants and doesn't mention filling.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
These paint cleaners leave the paint feeling very slick. There has to be something left behind. Whether or not what's left behind compromises bonding, I haven't a clue. What I do know, is, I like my paint BARE before I apply any LSP. I would not use any "paint cleaner". That's just me, though...

Vegas Transplant
05-29-2013, 10:22 PM
...Is there any paint cleaner out there with no abrasives that leave just clean paint?

...Is there a paint cleaner or non abrasive polish that just leaves "squeaky clean paint" ???

What about the Griots product?
Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)

WRAPT C5Z06
05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
What about the Griots product?
Griot's Garage Paint Prep, Griots Paint Cleaner, Prewax cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-paint-prep.html)
That's more along the lines of a product I would use prior to LSP.

swanicyouth
05-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I think I'm just going to use P21S and top it with Black Hole and just not worry about it.

It seems odd though. You use a glaze because for some reason you can't (or don't want to) polish with an abrasive, but there really isn't a whole lot out there to clean the surface for a glaze - but abrasives.