2012 Camaro SS

af90

Reaction score
Finally was able to spend the day getting this done.

Definitely happy with the paint now.

Started bright and early and here are the results.

Nice work. Looks great.

BTW, thanks for referring Warlace to me. I still have to go through the pictures and make his thread. It will be posted this weekend.

No problem. Thanks, I picked up FG400 after seeing how many people liked it including you. Honestly on this car I noticed no gloss difference on panels between FG400 and FG400 followed by SF4000. And the little dusting it has was awesome.

Very nicely done!! Your SS looks awesome!!!

Are you from AZ by any chance?

No problem. Thanks, I picked up FG400 after seeing how many people liked it including you. Honestly on this car I noticed no gloss difference on panels between FG400 and FG400 followed by SF4000. And the little dusting it has was awesome.

FG400 can finish out extremely well if worked long enough. I love this stuff. The fact that there is hardly any dusting makes it a joy to use.

Looks good.

What was your process?

ONR Wash
Iron decontamination
Nanoskin wipedown
FG400 and SF4000 on the front clip with Meg's Cutting pads and Optimum Finishing pads.

I took it outside and did a panel with FG400 only, the only thing I noticed was the oils leftover from probably not breaking it down enough. So I went with a CarPro Eraser wipedown and left the exact same finish as following FG400 with SF4000. Now since my paint is a real dark grey with a ton of metallic flake, it makes it extremely hard to see swirls unless the sun is just right and darn near impossible to see any defects except RIDS with my Brinkmann.

Decided to go with FG400 for the rest of the car.
Eraser Wipedown
Checked over the car and had a solid 85%-90% correction or so, the only defects I noticed today were right up to the creases or stripes where I taped it up. I'm sure I missed some though.
Waxed with Pete's 53.

Took about 9 hours total, I only did wheels and glass on top of the paint though.

Once the paint is optically clear, there's no point in continuing any polishing steps...so if you can get there somehow in one step, you are done.

Once nice thing about really hard clear coats such as the Camaro is that with a really really good compound that finishes down close to a finishing polish, you can sometimes get "there" in one step.

It's the soft paints that usually require multiple steps especially black.

Once the paint is optically clear, there's no point in continuing any polishing steps...so if you can get there somehow in one step, you are done.

Once nice thing about really hard clear coats such as the Camaro is that with a really really good compound that finishes down close to a finishing polish, you can sometimes get "there" in one step.

It's the soft paints that usually require multiple steps especially black.
So I guess softer paints have a tendency to haze more? And I guess need a finishing polish kind of like working different grits of sandpaper?

Back