Convince me to buy a foam gun

mrgto

Reaction score
Just trying to justify buying a foam gun to use to wash my cars/clients cars.

What are the benefits of how much better a foam gun would work over how I wash cars now?

I rinse them off with water. Paying attention to the lower rockers/fenders to get as much grit off as I can. Wash with a MF mit, rinse in a separate bucket with the grit guard, and then rinse off.

It just gives me piece of mind that I have another layer of soap between the paint and my mitt. For a heavily soiled car It is safer IMO.

If you know how to properly accomplish a 2 bucket wash, a foam gun is not always needed. With that said, I don't remember a time where I haven't used a foam gun or my foam cannon because its just FUN.

Key thing to remember is to ALWAYS give it a good rinse before applying any wash mitt to the surface. Which is where the pressure washer comes into play... but im sure you already knew that :dblthumb2:

All I can say is just doit! You wont regret it.

I have one for my pressure washer, and use it religiously. It makes the process a bit quicker.

I foam the car, then let dwell and drink some coffee. Then rinse, then foam and wash. It does help with some of the stubborn dirt, just releases it easier than water alone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Well after each wash I put my MF mitts in the washing machine to clean them out. So they are clean for the next car and I do get them nice and soapy before they touch the car. I work from top to bottom for each car as well.

Yea, seems like a big investment. I don't have a compressor or powerwasher so it would have to be a unit that attaches to a hose.

Well after each wash I put my MF mitts in the washing machine to clean them out. So they are clean for the next car and I do get them nice and soapy before they touch the car. I work from top to bottom for each car as well.

Yea, seems like a big investment. I don't have a compressor or powerwasher so it would have to be a unit that attaches to a hose.

I have both. A foam gun is a lot quicker than a foam cannon IMO. Obviously a foam cannon will out perform a foam gun b/c of the water pressure. Both work great though & a gun can be had a lot cheaper than a cannon.

FYI I like to mix some waterless wash with my shampoo in my foam gun/cannon. I find it clings to the paint better & has a little longer dwell time.

It is simply fun. And the very first time I used mine I let it dwell for about 3-4 minutes and it softened any of the bugs/heavy soiled areas to make removal extremely easy. That and your neighbors tend to look at you a little weird.

I wouldn't bother. I have one and rarely use it. I feel like it uses too much soap combined with my bucket for the actual wash and a bucket for wheels. Before you know it, I am using 6oz of soap to wash my car. You go through a gallon pretty quickly that way. It is fun and the neighbors like to laugh at my "foam party." I am sure it does offer an extra layer of safety, but I do a good polish in the spring and fall anyway. I am pretty safe when washing without it so the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost/gimmick. Just my opinion. In fact, I may be willing to trade it. Send me a PM if anyone is interested.

Your soap bill will go up cause you'll have too much fun with the gun and not want to turn it off ;)

I'm not really fanatical about a foam gun.
(Pressure washer equipped with "soap dispenser"/foam lance...a different story).

However...
It's really easy for me to spend your money: Go for it?!?!

:)

Bob

FWIW, mine stays in my storage cabinet. Just not practical for mobile detailing. Extra soap and time wasted on a client's car when I can achieve the same results with 2BM.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

I like the method of using the gun in front of the mitt after a soak and rinse... piece of mind

I needed something quick and easy for washing and CHEAP so i went to Walmart and bought a car wash nozzle with the soap dispenser on it. only cost me $10. I don't have a pressure washer or anything fancy, just a garden hose, so this works wonders! Put it on mist with the soap switch turned up all the way and works just like a foam gun (just a little less foamy). Best part is i can turn the soap release off and use any other setting like 'center' for rinsing, 'jet' for wheel wells, and so on. I still might buy a foam gun, but for now this nozzle works wonders!

It is simply fun. And the very first time I used mine I let it dwell for about 3-4 minutes and it softened any of the bugs/heavy soiled areas to make removal extremely easy. That and your neighbors tend to look at you a little weird.

X2 ^^^^

My neighbors definitely think I am weird. Lol

I assume you're doing this in the shade? Do you have problems with the soap starting to dry?

If I was to try this in my shade-free driveway I think I'd have spotting problems pretty quick. Even early in the moring, it seems dark colored cars heat up quick in sunlight. If I don't wash a panel at a time I have all sorts of problems. I'm fighting water spots all the time as it is.

I like the idea of a foam gun for a good soaking, but I'm not sure if it would be practical.

I assume you're doing this in the shade? Do you have problems with the soap starting to dry?

From my experience it depends on the soap. The ones that seem to rinse the easiest (like Auto Finesse Lather) does not seem to stick to paint like some soaps (Optimum Car Wash). I tend to rinse the car in phases (like top, each side, front and rear) so leave soap on the paint longer than some.

You don't NEED a foam gun or foam cannon. I have both. I use both regularly, but I would do just fine without either. They provide some sense of security when it comes to removing some particles prior to washing and what not.... Most of all, they are fun to use :)

I guess I misunderstood the role of the foam gun/cannon. I thought you could use it to coat the car in soap and then wipe down with a sponge followed by a rinse. Is that not enough?

I guess I misunderstood the role of the foam gun/cannon. I thought you could use it to coat the car in soap and then wipe down with a sponge followed by a rinse. Is that not enough?

Some people use it right in front of their wash mitt.

Back