winter car wash, neoprene vs nitrile glove?

twobucket

Reaction score
came across this glove comparison. What do folks prefer, neoprene or nitrile glove? in terms of warmth, durability,comfort and chemical resistance?

howtochoose_big.gif

I wear a pair of nitrile gloves doubled up under a pair of neoprene/wet suit type gloves, works pretty good, keeps hands decently warm.. Get my nitrile gloves from harbor freight... Cheap

Neither the neoprene or nitrile gloves provide much warmth for my hands during the cold, cold Wintertime season.

Bob

I like Nitrile so far, I picked a box of Heavy Duty Raven Blacks from Amazon for a better price than harbor freight and they appear to be higher quality.

I ripped a ton of my Harbor Freight Specials.

Both sets are cold, but will still leave your hands sweaty as can be.

For chemical resistance, you will not notice much of a difference with anything you will work with detailing. 99% of the chemicals that you will use are benign.

In my experience, the neoprene tends to be a little thicker, and warmer as a result. You do lose a bit of dexterity with a thicker glove though. I guess you also lose a bit of dexterity when your hands are frozen...

My vote is neoprene for winter.

Neither the neoprene or nitrile gloves provide much warmth for my hands during the cold, cold Wintertime season.

Bob

Excellent information. It's also important for people to remember that some of us experience much colder temperatures than others. I changed my oil when it was 10F the other day and I was wearing a pair of mechanics gloves with a pair of nitrile gloves over top to keep them clean. Needless to say my hands went numb within in a few minutes and the oil drained slower than molasses.

No glove that maintains enough dexterity to effectively detail or wrench in the garage will keep your hands warm when the temperature is approaching zero degrees.

How cold is it when you are washing your vehicle? I used a pair of Hanz Sealskinz gloves for the first time the other day and was very impressed. The temperature was 39F and my hands stayed warm and dry throughout the rinseless wash. I don't know how well they will work at colder temperatures though.

I'll only be able to do ONR above 32 degrees or else the water will freeze on the car.

I'll only be able to do ONR above 32 degrees or else the water will freeze on the car.

I think that Sealskinz will suit your needs well then. I wasn't sure how hardcore you were about washing your vehicle in the wintertime. I have seen some people using infrared heaters and or halogen work lights to warm up the panels to keep the ONR from freezing below 32 degrees.

I had my rinseless wash solution freeze to the paint once before I learned my lesson. Since I was washing with warm water and working one panel at a time I figured the rinseless solution wouldn't freeze. I don't remember the exact temperature but it had to of been close to 20 degrees. I ended up using a space heater to melt the ice that had formed and heat the panels that I was about to wash.

I don't remember the exact temperature but it had to of been close to 20 degrees. I ended up using a space heater to melt the ice that had formed and heat the panels that I was about to wash.

I don't have a garage and only wash the car on my parking lot. 20 degrees is pretty physically challenging in an open space and windy space.

I am also stubborn that I won't use touch less automatic on my car.

I don't have a garage and only wash the car on my parking lot. 20 degrees is pretty physically challenging in an open space and windy space.

I'm pretty mule-headed myself...
But I'll try my best to get rid of road salt/ice-melters any way I can, and ASAP...
That may include the use of touch-less car wash facilities.

I despise seeing rust beginning to form on vehicles' panels.

Bob

That may include the use of touch-less car wash facilities.
Bob

I use the coin op high pressure rinse wand and try my best the clean the undercarriage as much as possible.

I still need a pair of glove for 30-40 degrees ONR wash. My hands are not that chemical/cold resistant anymore..

I bought a pair of PVC coated rubber gloves to wear in the winter over other gloves when I am doing any washing outside. They seem to work pretty good. I got them at Home Depot and didn't pay much at all for them.

I use the coin op high pressure rinse wand and try my best the clean the undercarriage as much as possible.

I still need a pair of glove for 30-40 degrees ONR wash. My hands are not that chemical/cold resistant anymore..

I think that a pair of Hanz Sealskinz gloves would work well for you. The gloves have a long elastic cuff that fits snugly on your wrist/forearm. The extended cuff helps keep water out of the glove while trapping heat in.

I think that a pair of Hanz Sealskinz gloves would work well for you. The gloves have a long elastic cuff that fits snugly on your wrist/forearm. The extended cuff helps keep water out of the glove while trapping heat in.

Thanks!

Back