PDA

View Full Version : Questions about CG Blacklight

Pages : [1] 2 3

lineman
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
Don't want to sound like I just fell off the turnip truck but have some questions about Chemical Guys Blacklight. A neighbor gave me some of this, didn't say how he came up with it but did say he was pretty set with what he was using. We are going to have a few days of warm weather and I thought I would try it. I plan on washing the wife's car, wiping on the Blacklight by hand ( my PC is broke) wipping it off after about 20 min and then let it cure for about an hour. Then I plan on spraying it with Souvern spray wax. Is this going to work? I don't see anything that indicated that the paint has to be sterile as before applying a sealant. The paint on this car is excellent and does not need to be clayed. I have been using Souveran spray wax on it so will the Blacklight adhear or am I just wasting my time and effort? Don't want to get into a full detail until spring.

custmsprty
02-16-2014, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't spray the wax on top, no need to, let the Blacklight stand on it's own it's a great product. If anything I'd put two coats of BL 12 hours apart.
This is an Audi A6 I did last summer with Blacklight.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/A6AUDI_zpsdead0a0c.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/A6AUDI_zpsdead0a0c.jpg.html)
http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/AUDI-A6BLKLIGHT_zps7dc44c6f.jpg.html)

02-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Apply two coats of CG Blacklight and be done! Anything besides V7 spray, Blacklight didn't like, at least that was my experience.

lineman
02-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Apply two coats of CG Blacklight and be done! Anything besides V7 spray, Blacklight didn't like, at least that was my experience.
I still would like to know if you can put Blacklight on paint with out stripping any previous LSP.

02-17-2014, 12:08 AM
I still would like to know if you can put Blacklight on paint with out stripping any previous LSP.

You could but honestly I don't think it will stick. What do you have on there now?

lineman
02-17-2014, 09:39 AM
You could but honestly I don't think it will stick. What do you have on there now? I have Souvern spray wax. on there now. The bottle of Blacklight nor the web site address the subject of stripping the paint before application of Blacklight. I guess I could call CG but wanted some real life opinions from users of the stuff

CarolinasFinestDetailing
02-17-2014, 09:53 AM
If it were me, I would strip the car. That spray wax shouldnt be hard to strip. Blacklight has filling properties. It is a great product and a go to for me and all black car details. Also, I top it off with wax and have no issues; spray. liquid, and paste have all been used with no issue. Also, there is no need to allow 12 hrs of curing in between coats, the bottle says 30 min IIRC. I normally wait 30 min after I have wiped off the last bit before applying 2nd coat.

GenesisCoupe
02-17-2014, 10:13 AM
The Blacklight is actually a Glaze, not a sealant therefore it will only last about 3-5 months- speaking from experience. It is a great product however and a breeze to apply/remove.

jetta3guy8913
03-21-2014, 10:48 PM
The Blacklight is actually a Glaze, not a sealant therefore it will only last about 3-5 months- speaking from experience. It is a great product however and a breeze to apply/remove.

Robert, I always thought a glaze would just last until your next car wash? If not what is the average longevity of a glaze? I'm interested in this product as well so I want as much info as I can get on it. Thanks

GenesisCoupe
03-21-2014, 10:56 PM
You will not be disappointed with Blacklight, no matter the car color. I had great results with Blacklight 3 months after applying it. If you do it properly it will put a smile on your face for sure!

swanicyouth
03-21-2014, 11:27 PM
BL is actually an AIO product with some fine abrasives. IMHO, it's not great at anything particularly. Ease of use is high, but durability is low. In my world, I got like one or two washes out of BL before the beading and sheeting was pretty lackluster. It looked OK, but I wasn't impressed.

IMHO, you will get much better results with other products.

GenesisCoupe
03-22-2014, 12:37 AM
^^ Hater!

Just kidding, of course there are better, longer lasting products.

The link below is a good example of Blacklight. It's an M6 i did this past summer.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/71092-2008-bmw-m6-black-sapphire-metallic-2-step-correction-detail.html

CowboyTruckn
03-22-2014, 01:58 AM
I recently got on the blacklight wagon. I loved it but it was a pita to remove... I honestly blame myself. I know I put out on too thick, but being it is a purplish color on a light blue car I couldn't see it to know where I had applied unless I put it on heavy. I'm going to change lighting conditions next time. Looked awesome and I topped with V7. Can't speak as to longevity as it has only been on two weeks, but it based through rain. Haven't had a chance to wash it yet. I have fallen in love with V7 after every wash I do no matter what I have on it.

I applied a few weeks 6 to 8 maybe after a polish and jet seal. The paint didn't need claying again so after the wash I went straight to BL without stripping anything.

brondondolon
03-22-2014, 02:13 AM
I love blacklight. The smell the results the taste. It's great on toast, dipping pizza in it, add it to morning coffee, and if you're feeling extra adventurous just eat it by the spoon full ;) lol no the smell is incredible and a pleasure to work with haha as much as I would love to guzzle down a few bottles I've never had the courage to taste it unfortunately lol

Any way maybe I'm doing it wrong but I use it every time I detail my truck or family members car. I'll do a paint correction then add the backlight. Let dry to a haze (5-10min) then buff off. I immediately apply colinite 845 after and I have zero complaints. 12 hour cure time? Ain't nobody got time fo dat!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

GenesisCoupe
03-22-2014, 10:18 AM
^^the taste is good indeed!