first attempt at detail... did NOT go well

NsnRogue2014

Reaction score
Okay decided I have had my GG 6" for a few weeks and I wanted to try it out see what I could get done... let's just say it did NOT go well! I'll list my tools used. GG 6" DA, 5" backing plate, 5.5" Chemical guys microfiber orange pad, and V36 polish. I did all the prep work, washed clayed, did slow passes over lapping, primed the pad, waited till the polish flashed and became clear. Results? None, no correction, not a single scratch removed nothing, I couldn't believe it. I used speed 6 for the polish it was Def rotating, speed 1 to spread... well after I did my hood I gave up, used V7 on the car packed up and went inside. What's odd is when I pulled the pad off the backing plate, the very center had actually melted away and there was about a 1" hole in the center of the pad, backing plate is fine no damage.... so what gives? Where did I go wrong? Is is the tools, my technique, the car, I just can't believe after all that there was zero change and I destroyed a pad

Post pictures to see the year/make/model and color of the car. If the backing plate was burning up it might be an indicator that to much pressure was applied. (to aggressive)

What kind of car, what color, how deep are the scratches you are trying to remove? Are we talking wash-induced spiderweb swirls, or scratches that you can catch a fingernail in?

Okay decided I have had my GG 6" for a few weeks and I wanted to try it out see what I could get done... let's just say it did NOT go well! I'll list my tools used. GG 6" DA, 5" backing plate, 5.5" Chemical guys microfiber orange pad, and V36 polish. I did all the prep work, washed clayed, did slow passes over lapping, primed the pad, waited till the polish flashed and became clear. Results? None, no correction, not a single scratch removed nothing, I couldn't believe it. I used speed 6 for the polish it was Def rotating, speed 1 to spread... well after I did my hood I gave up, used V7 on the car packed up and went inside. What's odd is when I pulled the pad off the backing plate, the very center had actually melted away and there was about a 1" hole in the center of the pad, backing plate is fine no damage.... so what gives? Where did I go wrong? Is is the tools, my technique, the car, I just can't believe after all that there was zero change and I destroyed a pad

It is not the tools or the car...

In the "Detailing How-To's" section there are a lot of great tips that will help you form a solid foundation for your future polishing efforts.

It's a 2014 nissan rogue, black, just the small typical new car swirl marks that the dealer has kindly installed. Paint is good, only 3500 miles on the car.

Hmmmm...... maybe self healing paint? A nice new enigma to the detailing industry?!?!??!

A lot of questions need to be answered. Maybe your location would help and a fellow AG member can help you out?

Microfiber orange pad from Chemical Guys? I rarely use Microfiber pads, most of my work gets done well with a flat foam Lake Country Orange pad, followed by a white polishing pad.

Because you burned though the bad i think your pressure was too much. The GG should have gotten most of the defects out. Post pics when you can.

Microfiber orange pad from Chemical Guys?

I glossed right over that it was a MF pad. Perhaps the pad didn't get primed properly and just overheated without really cutting anything, or got matted down and therefore didn't cut.

I glossed right over that it was a MF pad. Perhaps the pad didn't get primed properly and just overheated without really cutting anything, or got matted down and therefore didn't cut.

I added some good sized drops to it to prime, sprayed with detail spray, also cleaned with brush after each section to re fluff the microfiber.

I saw you posted in the Chicagoland detail thread. Next weekend you will gain a TON of information and valuable critiquing from members here.

Maybe just wait until then so you don't get discouraged. I'm going to try and make it myself, but not sure if I'll be in town or not.

I saw you posted in the Chicagoland detail thread. Next weekend you will gain a TON of information and valuable critiquing from members here.

Maybe just wait until then so you don't get discouraged. I'm going to try and make it myself, but not sure if I'll be in town or not.

Yeah I figured post both places seems like I may need as much help as possible!

Hmmmm...... maybe self healing paint? A nice new enigma to the detailing industry?!?!??!

"Nissan admitted from the very beginning that this kind of paint has a lifetime of about three years, but customers didn't react too positive, so the company decided to discontinue the technology in early 2011. Why exactly? Nobody knows for sure, but the Japanese car manufacturer simply quietly removed it from its portfolio."

Automotive Magic: Self-Healing Car Paint

"Nissan admitted from the very beginning that this kind of paint has a lifetime of about three years, but customers didn't react too positive, so the company decided to discontinue the technology in early 2011. Why exactly? Nobody knows for sure, but the Japanese car manufacturer simply quietly removed it from its portfolio."

Automotive Magic: Self-Healing Car Paint

Awesome to know! Thanks man! I never had any issues correcting any paint other than Corvette ridiculous paint - so I looked into left field trying to help..... otherwise these are my opinions for correcting in real world conditions - Change pads, products, techniques, and use common sense for each and every job........ but then again, If I had said that a few comments ago, I would have been torn apart by now by guys that detail full time in their garage and/or express that they are experts after putting their polishers on 5 plus cars lmao ;) :buffing:

these are my opinions for correcting in real world conditions - Change pads, products, techniques, and use common sense for each and every job........ but then again, If I had said that a few comments ago, I would have been torn apart by now by guys that detail full time in their garage and/or express that they are experts after putting their polishers on 5 plus cars lmao ;) :buffing:
Speaking of being torn apart:
Are you like me, Anthony, and sometimes find yourself longing for: "Those Dri-Wash Days of Yore"? :D

:buffing::buffing:Im the MAN:buffing:Im the MAN:buffing::buffing:

{J/K}

Bob

Back