PDA

View Full Version : Oxidized Carbon Fiber Hood

Ecoshine
05-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I need help with suggestions on restoring a carbon fiber hood on a WRX. It's in pretty bad shaped due to neglect. What products do you suggest? I currently use a Rupes 21 with Rupes line of foam pads.....THANKS!

Sizzle Chest
05-30-2014, 10:27 PM
If it's not dry carbon/uncoated and has a clearcoat on it: treat it like any other painted panel. Start with the least aggressive means first and go from there. Of course, do a test section...

I'm sure others will chime in that will have some product suggestions.

TuxedoTaurus
05-30-2014, 10:45 PM
Carbon fiber is done like fiberglass, the coating you see is a resin and will be pretty hard. I would recommend compounds and polishes that are targeted at boats. Some guys are scuffing them and shooting them with some clear, so polishing is easier. Check with the manufacturer and see if it does have a clear, as some already have it. If so treat it like paint.

jamesboyy
05-30-2014, 10:57 PM
Most carbon fiber products will have what is called a gel coat on it thought some people will use meguiars m105 and m205 to restore it but take a look at this link

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/78387-carbon-fiber-hood-corrected.html

Ecoshine
05-31-2014, 12:09 AM
I'll have to check to see if its a gel coat or clear. I did a spot on my brothers carbor fiber hood (not the WRX) with m105 and it caused a crap tons of scratches. I did proper technique and everything, that's why I wanted everyones suggestions before I did this hood for a client.