PDA

View Full Version : Some Detailing Observations: My 9 Commandments

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

swanicyouth
11-07-2014, 12:10 PM
I've come off with a few observations I've made over the past few years that make detailing for the enthusiast (me) easier, faster, and less headaches. I'm mainly concerned with the last statement: less headaches. I really can't see detailing my car as anything that could cause me stress or irritation. So, while most of these things are "faster" - some are just "easier".

1. Skip coatings on your personal car. Coatings have been fraught with headaches since they first arrived. Difficult application, sensitivity to water spots, questions about polish-ability, coating failures, mysterious disappearing beading, lack of any real world scratch resistance, and screwy maintenance products that can be expensive/difficult to use at best - are just a few things that come to mind.

Do use a long lasting easy to use LSP. These products are cheaper, readily renewable, easily renewable, headache free, and are virtually idiot proof. The term "readily renewable" is more important to me than "lasts forever". It's easy to lay down a coat of wax/sealant every two months and you have all the looks and water behavior of day 1. Products that come to mind are PBMG sealants, Collinite, Bilt Hamber Finis, NaviWax Ultimate, and Sonax PNS.

2. Do use a spray wax with good hydrophobic properties after every wash or two as a drying aid. This simple step can make your LSP last almost indefinitely and really doesn't take any longer (your drying the car anyway). Don't bother with anything finicky or streaky.

A few good ones that come to mind are: Sonax BSD, NanoSkin Hydrophobic Polymer, Dodo Red Mist Tropical, Prima HydroMax, and DG Aquawax. I'd also recommend using a waterless/rinseless product that enhances beading - not something that is touted as "leaving nothing behind". I find Pinnacle WW/RW, Gary Dean's IUDJ, & UWW+ work nicely for this.

3. Do coat all your black plastic trim with CarPro Dlux. Forget dressing trim. It's a waste of time, can look fake/oily, attracts & holds onto dirt, and doesn't last. Coat all your black plastic with DLux once a year and it will look fresh and new after every wash. You also won't have to worry about dealing with greasy trim dressing applicators ever again.

4. Do use a tire coating for your daily driver. I like Tuff Shine, as I've pretty much mastered the product. TS will make your life so easy - you will never have to scrub a tire again. Topping it off is just applying another coat when you feel like it. It's not really affected by rain and you won't have to dress your tires after every wash or deal with messy applicators.

Plus, no black sludge comes off the tires - so you can clean them with a rinseless or waterless wash product. While it may look only 95% of quality conventional dressings - those dressings will loose most of their look after the first rain. TS looses none. Your tires will always look dark black, new, and fresh.

5. Do use a water based or polymer based tire dressing on your garage queen, if not a coating. If you have a special car that only sees nice weather and want to stick with conventional dressings - skip oily/silicone based dressings.

These dressings are not necessary for a garage queen, attract a ton of dirt, and are difficult at best to clean off the tire. Water/polymer dressings are much easier to clean off - making them easily renewable. Actually, skip oily dressings period anywhere on your car. I like PB's Bold and Bright and Prima Infinity.

6. Do use low dust / ceramic brake pads on your car. Cleaning wheels is a PIA. Just switching from factory semi-metallic dust monster pads to low dust ceramics will give you the ability to forgo wheel cleaners and just use soap for the most part. I like PBR/Repko ceramic pads. They are cheap, rotor friendly, make almost zero dust, and don't squeal. See # 7.

7. Do use some type of coating / spray sealant hybrid on your wheels. Skip "wheel wax". Apply an easy to use / readily renewable coating to your wheels as needed, like Permanon or Hydro2. Wheel wax products are tedious to apply, don't last long, and don't repel / release dirt like these other products.

Actually, I like Permanon because it's readily-renewable wheels, highly dilute-able, very hydrophobic, doesn't streak, and costs less than Hydro2. Permanon can be applied to anything including exhaust tips, convertible tops, interior/exterior trim, wheel wells, and dressed tires - making all of it repel dirt/water & easier to clean.

You can instantly return to a super hydrophobic surface by just spraying your clean wheels down. Using this stuff means most of the wheel dirt can be just pressure washed off and the wheel cleaned with soap. While these products aren't cheap - neither are dedicated wheel cleaners. Use a pH neutral wheel cleaner and the Permanon will last a longer time before reapplication. I like car wash soap or Griot's standard wheel cleaner.

8. Skip layering different LSPs for durability. Layering for a look or for your own entertainment is fine if you have the time and desire. IME layer a wax over a sealant does nothing for durability - and may even lessen the durability of the sealant.

Consider this. Waxes contain solvents, stuff like turpentine and mineral spirits. While soaps / detergents may not degrade sealants, solvents easily do. So, your rubbing a solvent laden product all over your sealant when you top it with a wax. IMHO it's much more beneficial to use one durable product and reapply as needed.

9. Pressure wash any car before you wash it by any method. This is something I have said so many times on this forum. In the past I have dealt with wash induced marring, and found this is the secret weapon to avoid it.

IMHO a hose doesn't cut it. Pressure washing knocks off most of the dirt that can scratch before you even touch the vehicle. Wiping dirt off surfaces cause scratches, pressure washing it off doesn't. I've proven this to myself my keeping my cars virtually defect free for years.

Anyway, this is what I do. I encourage you all to add your own.

Moldavite
11-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Nice :)
The product you name I had almost similar
SPNS
BSD
Dlux
Will get turf shine eventually
Thanks for sharing

SYMAWD
11-07-2014, 12:26 PM
I pretty much agree with all of it but number 1. I sometimes have to go a month or more without a proper wash, so by having a coating on my car, I can spend 5 minutes at a coin-op and have it 95%+ clean without having to touch it. Well worth the $60 I spent that included 30mL of Cquartz, 500mL of IronX, 400mL of Reload, 3 microfibers, and 5 suede cloths + the applicator block.

octane
11-07-2014, 12:34 PM
amen

11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
UK
Dlux
TufShine

Best thing I've done for my dd...

Thanks for sharing!

Desertnate
11-07-2014, 12:53 PM
Great post and I agree with everything there.

SameGuy
11-07-2014, 12:54 PM
That's a lot of IX. I don't think I use more than 200 ml per car. I spray the whole car without overdoing it, then spread with a dampened and wrung-out pad (I've switched to the ProLine sponge) then let dwell for three to five minutes.

thebeastofrock
11-07-2014, 12:55 PM
Very logical and well thought out. There are so many detailing techniques and products that can make our lives easier, but so many make detailing their own car complicated. I suppose that's the fun of it for some. Anyways, nice suggestions.

allenk4
11-07-2014, 01:05 PM
Coatings on personal vehicle
AGREE.
Exception being, if you have a full-sized SUV...coat the roof

Spray Wax
Can't disagree
I prefer a spray detailer/gloss enhancer

DLUX
AGREE
Should have been #1

Tire Coatings
Will have to try it
Was Leary, but long-term reviews seem good

Coat your wheels
I prefer DLUX here over Permanon Platinum
Saves time and $ on expensive wheel cleaners
If you have big open wheel wells (SUV) use DLUX here too

Layering
AGREE

Powerwashing
AGREE
Nothing in the wash process makes more sense than this step

Water based tire dressing for Garage Queen
No Garage...No Queen

SameGuy
11-07-2014, 01:06 PM
@thebeastofrock --

Very true. I have some short-cuts or tricks that help with my particular workflow and environment, but I don't think they'd be appropriate for everyone. I keep coming back here to learn more from people way more skilled and experienced than I might ever be, and work some of their ideas into my routines. If they work for me, great, if not, no real worries.

PS is that a Mk1 Rabbit? Or Caddy? I'm on the lookout for a rust-free Caddy, running or not. :)

Blade
11-07-2014, 01:10 PM
I won't add my own. In fact, I'll subtract from your list since that list is still too much work for an enthusiast like me:
#1 - agreed, no coating for my vehicles ever
#2 - agreed up to an extent. I apply a spray wax less frequently and for a different reason. I don't think it doesn't take longer than drying. Spraying a wax and buffing it off takes MORE time than simply drying a car. I sheet-rinse so there's little water to dry off. Drying for me takes very little time.
#3 - I use Klasse AIO on my plastic trim once a year
#4 - agreed but TS is finicky. I found the Turtle Wax better.
#5 - n/a
#6 - I don't even bother, see #7
#7 - I don't bother with wheel sealants anymore. I still have a can of Poorboy's. I wash wheels often enough that they don't get too grungy over the course of a week.
#8 - I like entertainment. In any case, I believe as long as a sealant has "cured", it can be topped off with a wax, the "sacrificial barrier".
#9 - a p/w is on my list but I've gotten by without one without too much problem.

01GreyStangGT
11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
I agree about layering. I did a test on my wife's hood once with BFWD on one side and BFWD + Midnight Sun on the other and they both lasted about the same. The layered side did look a little brighter compared to the other.

NikonGuy
11-07-2014, 01:15 PM
I'm surprised people are agreeing with #1. I will only use coatings now. No more waxes or sealants

SameGuy
11-07-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't own my own PW, but keep borrowing from friends and family while they don't need theirs. The big Honda/BE is a pain to go get from my buddy who lives 45 miles away, but works really well in my system. But I most often get to use cheap, disposable, Chinese electrics. They work quite well, but eventually I'll have to suck it up and get a decent electric of my own (I'm really not big on small gasoline engines and the carcinogens they spew).

Mizzoutiger
11-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Great post, thank you for sharing! One more from Mike Phillips: "Find something you like and use it often."