What is GM putting on lower panels?

I had it on my '85 Chevy 1/2 ton Silverado:
Ugly, but functional, "chip-guard".

Bob

All over the lower panels of my Tundra.

I always thought they just didn't care to finish that part of the car properly...ha. Didn't realize it was done purposefully.

Toyota Tacomas also have that. I agree it's ugly but it's better than paint damage from the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 9th gen Accords have this too on the lower side rocker panels. I had a 77 camaro painted back in the early 90's and the painter offered this to me for the lower rocker and I did it. So it's been around for a while, just more recently on factory jobs I guess.

VW/Audi have it as well, same with Subaru.

VW/Audi have it as well, same with Subaru.

Really? I have owned 2 subies and a good friend is on his 6th. Haven't seen it at all.
I also have a 2010 Tundra that doesn't have it. Mind you, there is a fair amount of factory orange peel though.

The 9th gen Accords have this too on the lower side rocker panels. I had a 77 camaro painted back in the early 90's and the painter offered this to me for the lower rocker and I did it. So it's been around for a while, just more recently on factory jobs I guess.

What do they do different in those areas? My vehicles have it, and I just assumed it was an application of a softer and thinker type of clear coat vs the rest of the vehicle.

It's this chunky, chip-resistant paint. My husband's car has it as well.

Not something new, my 86 Grand National has it (original owner).

So it's something they spray on after the primer and paint over?

Does it reduce paint chips at all?

If it's been around since the 80's and works, why doesn't GM put it on all their vehicles? I've had a '93, '99 and '05 Silverado and none had it.

It's this chunky, chip-resistant paint. My husband's car has it as well.

I missed this.

So it's added to the paint. Must make the paint softer to let rocks bounce off.

There's a lot with it, never really new the purpose or reason, just figured it had something to do with minimizing chips. I'd say roughly maybe 1 in 3 cars that I work on have it.

Back