Menzerna 400, 4000, 4500

trusaleen1

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Black Accord with very soft paint. Tends to get usual minor swirls spider webbing etc. I usually wash it now with ONR. I've used blackfire's SRC with very good results, but I've been looking at Menzerna products and want to see if I can get a little more shine. ( I also have white BMW harder paint)

So would you recommend getting 400 and finishing with the 4500? Or am I better off with 4000 and the 4500? Or will the 4500 alone be acceptable?

Thanks

I use FG400 and SF4500. That is me. I love this combo and it has done very well for me. SF4500 will get rid of minor scratches with ease. SF4000 has more cut but IMO we are splitting hairs. You can't go wrong with either SF4000 or SF4500. FG400 is a must for compounding.

:iagree:Yeah, splitting hairs here. I like the 400 followed by the 4000. It's more than LSP ready after finishing 'er off w/ 4000 or 4500. Great products, they do their job and are easy to work with. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

On soft black Honda paint, a compound is not needed. Check out other Menzerna polishes that are a little more aggressive than 4000 or 4500. My favorite for soft black paint that is in good condition is Sonax 4/6 Perfect Finish.

Soft paint I'd be thinking more along the lines of 2500/4500 combo. Especially if the car doesn't need heavy correction.

Surf, Crew,

You guys are mostly likely on target. I sometimes forget to remind folks they need to do a test spot. It's just so engrained in my mind that I take that for granted. I detailed my wife's 2011 Civic lately and 400/4000/Powerlock is what I used. Granted her paint was lacking some love. I agree, with a better paint condition the 4000 or 4500 should do the trick, you can always adjust with the pads. Take care all.

Peace,

Darrin

Soft paint I'd be thinking more along the lines of 2500/4500 combo. Especially if the car doesn't need heavy correction.

I will have to agree on that. Honda is soft paint and FG400 is fine for correcting scratches whether they be deep or not. You do not have to make as many passes with FG400 as Honda paint is soft. Additionally, I will follow up with SF4500 and not have any issues.

Here is a Honda I worked on about 6 months ago with FG400 and followed up with SF4500.

Now for very minor scratches IMO SF4000 or SF4500 would be fine by itself for minor polishing. Again, my opinion....The good thing about Soft Paint it is so easy to correct with the right product. So

I am going to have to disagree on that. Honda is soft paint I know that, however, FG400 is fine for correcting scratches whether they be deep or not. You do not have to make as many passes with FG400 as Honda paint is soft. Additionally, I will follow up with SF4500 and not have any issues.

FG400 IMO is fine. Here is a Honda I worked on about 6 months ago with FG400 and followed up with SF4500.

Damn, you guys make agreeing on something extremely difficult.
Kaz, You have a point, I personally would take 400 to a lightly blemished surface without any problem, again technique and pad choice does make a difference. Menzera products finish out about as nice as you can get. I agree with everybody.... Hahahaha.....

Peace,

Darrin

Damn, you guys make agreeing on something extremely difficult.
Kaz, You have a point, I personally would take 400 to a lightly blemished surface without any problem, again technique and pad choice does make a difference. Menzera products finish out about as nice as you can get. I agree with everybody.... Hahahaha.....

Peace,

Darrin

I am sorry!!! I reworked my quote. I did not realize I said I had to disagree!!

I AGREE!!!!! Again,my apologies!!! FG400 can be used with finesse or hard correction. SF4500 or SF4000 can be used effectively with minor scratches. Bottom line any of these Menzerna products should be fine!!!

I am sorry!!! I reworked my quote. I did not realize I said I had to disagree!!

I AGREE!!!!! Again,my apologies!!! FG400 can be used with finesse or hard correction. SF4500 or SF4000 can be used effectively with minor scratches. Bottom line any of these Menzerna products should be fine!!!

No apologies necessary. I think you are all right, in theory. It's the experience, right pad/product and technique that makes it a reality. Now where's that car, I'm ready to go.:buffing: Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Soft Paint and Diminishing Abrasives are not the best combination in my opinion

You are better off with something like M100 or M101 followed by M205

You can do fewer passes and get the same result

What about either 3d hd adapt or AAT finishing polish followed up by CarPro Reflect then LSP

This is also the combo I would go with for Honda paint if it needed correction and I wanted to finish with a fine polish. I've had no problem removing 3000 grit sandpaper marks after paint chip touchup with a GG6, white flat pad, and PF2500.

PF2500 is usually where I will start on a car with hard paint that needs correction. From there I decide if I am happy with it or if I need to move to FG400. I feel like I can handle 90% of situations with the 4 products I have (and proper pad assortment): FG400, PF2500, SF4000, and SF4500. Aside from that I have M105, M205, and Megs Ultimate Compound in my arsenal and that's it.

In my experience with Honda's, I would probably always start with SF4000 (or M205) and get more aggressive from there if needed.

Soft paint with minor swirls sometimes can be corrected with M 4000 alone, with, let's say white hybrid pad and 3401.

PF2500 is usually where I will start on a car with hard paint that needs correction. From there I decide if I am happy with it or if I need to move to FG400. I feel like I can handle 90% of situations with the 4 products I have (and proper pad assortment): FG400, PF2500, SF4000, and SF4500. Aside from that I have M105, M205, and Megs Ultimate Compound in my arsenal and that's it.

In my experience with Honda's, I would probably always start with SF4000 (or M205) and get more aggressive from there if needed.

Thanks for the sanity check. This was pretty much exactly where I was in the thought process but you spelled it out for everyone in a much clearer fashion.

What about either 3d hd adapt or AAT finishing polish followed up by CarPro Reflect then LSP

A "Professional" got 90-95% correction on my Honda ( Minor Scratches/Swirls and Dealer Installed Holograms EVERYWHERE) with M205, White LC, and a Rupes...

DSC09354%20C_zpsv95mkbm2.jpg

But I'LL be going for 100% Correction :dblthumb2: next Spring.

Method behind my Madness:

Machine: MT 300
Medium Polish/Polish: HD Adapt/HD Polish
TEST Spot: HD Polish and Tangerine HT or Yellow Megs Soft Disc

Thoughts, errr.... ridicule? :props:

fyi: lsp currently is Menzerna Powerlock (I suppose pre-lsp to be precise) topped w/ Double Decker of Colli "shake till the cows come home" #845. :dblthumb2:

This is also the combo I would go with for Honda paint if it needed correction and I wanted to finish with a fine polish. I've had no problem removing 3000 grit sandpaper marks after paint chip touchup with a GG6, white flat pad, and PF2500.

I have a very similar "bag of tricks". PF2500 is something I don't ever want to be without.

I do prefer to team Menzerna polishes with Hydrotech pads though.

While everything I've had thrown at me has been really tough, PF2500 has still been able to do more than I would have imagined.

I was in the same exact situation.

I bought fg400/sf4500 and then later bought sf4000 too. You can always use the sf4500 down the road for light imperfections without cutting too much with sf4000.

Just buy all 3 from the start and then you can add pf2500 if need be.

I must be crazy but I've had menz 400 be good enough as a finisher

Back