Cleaning calipers

I use an uber wheel brush, wheel woolies and a Daytona wheel brush.

And if they are really bad a MF towel and some fine polish then wash ands rinse well.

Sonax wheel cleaner, speed master brushes and boars hair lug nut brush.

I find the boars hair lug nut brush comes in very handy with caliper work.

Before applying any cleaners to the calipers...

•It's probably best to find out:
-From what materials all of the other braking
components, on any particular vehicle, are made.

-Some cleaners will cause irreparable harm---even
the voidng of some warranties---to many of these
braking components.

•Car-wash shampoos are the usual
manufacturers'recommendations.
(IMO: RWs/WWs also fall within
that cleaning-product category.)

-Those are my caliper-arena-cleaners; along with
assorted wheel-cleaning brushes/sundries.

Bob

Are the calipers painted? If so, in addition to Bob's advice I'd also check to see if the paint is single stage or clear coated.

The red calipers on my GTI are single stage and will fade quickly if you use a harsh cleaner and a stiff brush. I learned this lesson the hard way, but fortunately was able to undo the damage with an AIO.

Meg's Wheel Brightener, wheel woolies, 1" detail brush, and Race Glaze brush set.

I use a 1" detail brush and Atlasta Soft Tip Brush. The stiffer bristles in the Atlasta brush are really useful sometimes.

Are the calipers painted? If so, in addition to Bob's advice I'd also check to see if the paint is single stage or clear coated.

The red calipers on my GTI are single stage and will fade quickly if you use a harsh cleaner and a stiff brush. I learned this lesson the hard way, but fortunately was able to undo the damage with an AIO.

They are not painted. That's probably why their so hard to clean. I'm considering taking them off to paint them

:iagree:

Especially about the red calipers on the Gti. I have also noticed that a lot of the VW models with unpainted calipers can turn a white'ish color if exposed to certain wheel cleaners and iron removers.

Back